• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am ready to pop another $500 or less on a pair of shoes. Can u gentleman please help

BullionBro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am looking for shoes that I can wear with both chinos or shorts.

I like bucks and many types of shoes. If you can post some that you like I would highly appreciate it.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I am looking for shoes that I can wear with both chinos or shorts.

I like bucks and many types of shoes. If you can post some that you like I would highly appreciate it.

Penny loafer, tassel loafer, driving moccasins. You should be able to get a great pair of pennies or drivers for well under $500. Don't wear lace-ups with shorts.

Last edited:

BullionBro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Penny loafer, tassel loafer, driving moccasins. You should be able to get a great pair of pennies or drivers for well under $500. Don't wear lace-ups with shorts.

I searched for penny loafers and driving moccasins. I really like them.

Do you know who makes some high quality ones?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I searched for penny loafers and driving moccasins. I really like them.

Do you know who makes some high quality ones?

For drivers the Forvm favorites are generally Tod's and Car Shoe. Personally, I don't believe in spending over $300 on a pair of shoes that cannot be repaired or maintained. Because drivers have the rubber nubs instead of proper leather soles, once they're worn out you more or less have to throw them away. I have a pair of Cole Haan drivers and a pair of RL drivers. Got both on sale for under $100. They look just like every other driver I've ever seen. Wax Wayne just did an article on drivers if you want to get some other brand ideas.

Penny loafers are a proper shoe and deserve the same amount of quality and craftsmanship consideration as other leather-soled shoes. If you're looking for a slightly more trad/blobby last I'd stick with a famous American maker like Allen Edmonds, Alden or Rancourt. If you are looking for a sleeker shoe then some of the Peal & Co offerings from Brooks Brothers are a solid option (as are the Carminas that were posted above).

I can't really see the shoes in the pic you posted, but they appear to be Venetian loafers. Personally I don't like the look of Venetians, as I like detailing on my vamp. However, if you so choose that style, almost every shoe maker in the world will have some sort of offering.

Excuse my presumption, but you seem to be quite new to the shoe world. Before you assign a number you're willing to spend, I would suggest doing some stalking around the Shoe Appreciation, WAWYRN and Rock Your Socks threads. All three of those will give you some solid styles and brands to start with. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads