• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am not fit (a confession)

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a few months since my last update. Since then I've relapsed into not exercising and eating poorly (and drinking). I leave for work around 7 and get home around 7. "Work" is sitting on a computer. The only "exercise" I've been getting is occasional tennis matches. My problem is I don't look obese at all. To other people it only looks like I have a gut.

I just weighed myself: 215 pounds.
frown.gif
Please help me. I'm 5'11" and I should be closer to 170.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
It's been a few months since my last update. Since then I've relapsed into not exercising and eating poorly (and drinking). I leave for work around 7 and get home around 7. "Work" is sitting on a computer. The only "exercise" I've been getting is occasional tennis matches. My problem is I don't look obese at all. To other people it only looks like I have a gut.

frown.gif

We can't help you. You have to figure your life out. Seriously...sleep at least 6 hours a night. Otherwise, you won't have the energy to work out at the end of the day. Remember, the problem is you. Don't pass the blame. See yourself for what you are, then work to change it.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent

frown.gif

Sorry man... you need to make 1 hour available if you are serious about this. Something else has got to be cut back to make room for 1 hour to work out. Do you watch TV? Turn the damn thing off. Do you go out for lunch or dinner? Spend 30 minutes at home preparing lunch for the next day. Everybody can find 1 hour to spare - you are not the POTUS.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
im in the same boat as you 5'11 and used to be nearing 200 pounds (i was once 210+ while back) and i am now down to 188~ lbs.
still trying to lose a bit more weight till i reach my goal of getting into the 170s like you mentioned.

it takes effort to get off your ass. and to make time to do things. it takes will to change your eating habits.
after making it all a habit for a few weeks it becomes much easier. dont look at the long run.

just look at what you can do that week. see if you can shed 500 calories a day to drop a pound that week only.

or just take it a couple of days. see what your goal is in 2 days.

trust me, it is alot easier when you break it down. rather than seeing the whole mountain at once.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today: Started off at 209lbs. Woke up and instead of checking SF, I squeezed in 30 mins of Wii fit. After work I played tennis against 2 people at the same time for about 2 hours. Now I'm back home and going to eat some fish. Hope all goes well.

Like sho'nuff said, my problem is seeing the whole mountain at once. As others have mentioned, I need to stop shifting the blame and taking the lazy way out.

It just sucks since last summer around this time I was exercising daily and dropped to near 190. Growing up, I never thought weight would come so easily.

thinksimple

Reaction score
Sometimes it's just the little things that help as well.

I've been a (semi) avid runner for a few years now, but my less intense workouts in the past were much more effective because I walked everywhere. When I bought a car, I initially worked out more, but I slowly lapsed into my regular, low-intensive routine, and it started to catch up with me.

As with you, I work long days, but if you can't squeeze the hour of exercise in, consider other alternatives for that day:

- take the stairs everywhere
- if you sit at a desk, try sitting on a medicine ball instead of a chair. Goofy, yes, but it'll help your posture and tone your core, which will become much more defined as you lose weight
- Ease up on the snacks or drinks for that day. It's simple: calories in should be less than calories out.

It's not rocket science, but having the discipline and willpower (even just a little!) is the biggest obstacle.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't going to work without developing a plan. BTW, if you're at work all day then you should be bringing your own meals, which means that you should be able to plan your meals at least on weekdays. That alone should help somewhat. But yeah, if you want to be serious about this you have to develop a plan - a regular workout schedule - and stick to it.

volatility smile

Reaction score
You're going to have to give something up, whether it be alcohol, some of your social life, or whatever it is that you're doing that makes it impossible to sleep more than 3 1/2 hours a night. It all comes down to either having those or being in shape. At this age, you probably can't have both, but it's a certainty you won't have both when you're older. However, it'll be a lot easier to deal with it if you adopt a healthy lifestyle now rather than later in life. You mentioned that your problem's basically that you're seeing the whole mountain at once. That's pretty much what it is, but you should understand that getting in shape is something you have to take one day at a time. It's kind of useless to plan long-term and set goals if you can't stick to them on a day to day basis. Try to think of your goals in a daily context, at least until you've made getting into shape an habit. For now, just sleep more - at the very least, 6 hours a night, but ideally 8 hours, and use the extra energy you've got to exercise and make better decisions about food. Also, you might want to consider seeing a doctor or therapist to make sure there isn't some kind deeper underlying problem that's keeping you from doing what you want to do. Good luck
smile.gif

amd123

Reaction score
OP aka Intent. I'm here for you, I recieved a message from The Powers that Be and they want me to help you. First you must believe not in yourself but believe in me for I believe in you, WE ALL BELIEVE IN YOU.

First thing OP,
You said you have yo yo dieted? I've done this also, I'm a natural *****, I gain weight easily and muscle.

Let me give you my story and then we'll get to the chase.
I'm 18 and been fat all my life. I graduated from HS and wanted to change myself. I started last week. On Monday I was 194-196. Today as of 7/19 I'm at 183. OP take my EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE EXPERIENCE is PRICELESS. If you wanna drop FAT and LEAN OUT and RETAIN YOUR MUSCLE MASS, get on a diet called keto. It involves CUTTING OUT A LARGE PORTION OF YOUR CARB intake for 5-6 days and then having ONE refeed day where you go and a large number of carbs.

Let me give you a sample of what I'm eating daily.

Breakfast - 3 Egg Omelette with Onions
Lunch - 2 Frozen Beef Patties
Post Workout - Protein Shake (IF I LIFT) or 2 Beef Patties OR 6-10oz chicken Breast or thigh
Dinner - 2 Frozen Beef Patties or chicken, I alternate foods during the Post W/O meal and Dinner.

Also OP, take a look at some supplements, the EC Stack. It's ephedra and caffeine. E is banned in the usa, to get it you need over counter meds (Primatene/Bronkaid) they're like 10 USD for 60 pills. I take two a day one in the morning and then 4 hours later.

Now if you look at my diet, ITS A LOT OF FAT and PROTEIN. The idea is your body can't produce FAT OR PROTEIN, but CAN PRODUCE GLUCOSE which is what carbs (fruit, condiments, bread, rice, potatoes, starchy vegetables such as corn/carrots/peas/etc) provide. Cut these out of your diet and lift 3x a week and do cardio everyday. Your lifting and cardio will deplete your body of it's glucose stores and your body will adapt to the lack of energy by using the stored fat.

Now there is a method to the madness.
You know how people say to bulk up do low reps/low sets/high weight or to "tone" (whatever the **** this means) you do high sets/high reps/low weight screw this dogma. This is what works...you need to use both principles of lifting.

I will tell you this however, the first of week of your diet, your body will be on carb stores and thus you need to deplete them. To do this quickly and efficiently do HIGH REPS/HIGH SETS/MODERATE WEIGHT ( DO NOT ***** OUT ON ME and USE ***** KIDDY STARTER WEIGHTS). DO this for a week 3-4x and do LOW INTENSITY CARDIO EVERYDAY. High intensity raises your metabolism but has some cons to it because most people don't do it right and when done right is VERY CATABOLIC and can destroy muscle and since you are in poor shape this is not the best for you.

You will do LOW INTENSITY 30 minutes everyday, at a low intensity your body will only burn fat. I DON'T GIVE A **** if you don't like it, YOU WILL DO IT, if you don't you will die. Slowly your arteries will clog up with fat, your body will run out of places to store fat and it will deposit fat ON YOUR BRAIN, you will go FULL marsupial. JUST SUCK IT UP and DO IT.

After the first week your carb stores will be depleted but HOLD ON DO NOT HAVE ANY CARBS this week. I want you to go one week no carbs, THEN on the second week you will follow the originally stated schedule of 6 days no carbs / 1 day carbs. This way your body can adapt better to burning fat.

Also now that you know how to deplete your carb stores, after the 1st week is over SWITCH OVER TO this style of lifting Low Reps (4-6)/High Weight (70-90% of your max). Do heavy barbell and dumbell stuff and continue with your everday cardio. THIS IS YOUR NORMAL METHOD OF LIFTING. I recommend doing the low weight/high reps because it will deplete your stores of carbs fully. Then that one day of carb up will only yield you around 200-300g of carbs (most people eat around this much anyways) but here's the thing you can easily burn 200-300g of carbs with one workout.

Now once your SECOND WEEK is coming to an end, have your FIRST CARB UP Day on saturday or sunday depending on which day of the week is your LAST LIFTING DAY, eat your carbs go workout but follow the low-moderate weight/high rep protocol and do 45-1 hour of LISS (low intensity cardio).

Once this is done, go back to the high weight/low reps lifting style until your NEXT carb up (you will have one EVERY WEEK from now on).

I've been on this diet for 1 week now and I'm at 183.4 lbs. My face is tighter, my abs are harder, my triceps are become much more tight. Lol and I'm not even NEAR my goal of 170 or 15% BF, which ever comes first.

amd123

Reaction score
Lastly, OP I respect you in the sense that you want to change yourself but remember this you have FAILED but if you do not learn from your mistakes I will not respect you. But remember one thing, it is paramount that you realize WHY YOU ARE DOING THIS, if the need is great enough, one can accomplish anything and above all else respect your self, cuz if you don't respect yourself (AND YOUR BODY) why should anyone respect you.

No stop being a ***** and man up, come back in a week and show me your progress.

OH AND DON'T YOU DARE ******* TELL ME you will start monday, I don't give a ****, I didn't type all of that to help you NEXT MONDAY. If you like what you read and have ANY questions feel free to PM/post in here. But remeber DO NOT WASTE my time, I wanna see some results. I feel we have similar goals and thus sharing our exploits in science of physical fitness will motivate us even more for we are great men and great men achieve great things!

closetmess

Reaction score
A lot of enthusiasm for an 18 year old after a one week diet. I like the experience is priceless line the best.

amd123

Reaction score
I'm enthusiastic because I've been struggling with weight loss for a while now too and have been yo yo dieting. I'd stick to a diet for a 2-4 days and find out it was hard and I'd quit. This time I have an actual reason to quit and my ENTIRE OUTLOOK on the matter is different. 1. Before I'd check the scale constantly, now I SAY **** THE SCALE. If you are getting leaner and your clothes fit better, GOOD FOR YOU! You are on your way. 2. Before if I made ONE LITTLE MESSUP in my diet I'd get frustrated and completely drop the diet, now I realize that this is not a finite time period diet. I have a goal and various smaller goals that I'd like to achieve within a reasonable time limit. I've realized that becoming overweight didn't happen overnight so why do people thing losing the weight should happen overnight. If I make a mistake I buck up and get right back on top of the horse. 3. Lastly, I'm going to college, this is a milestone for me, no one in my family went to college. I want to use this as motivation to allow me to further better myself in every aspect of my life. I already play an instrument, know music theory, and now I'm also developing a sense of style so why not also push myself to achieve a better body and better overall health? Also, closetmess its okay I can see that you might look down upon because I'm only 18, whatever.
tumblr_kyby7pa0J81qzxzwwo1_500.gif

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by closetmess
A lot of enthusiasm for an 18 year old after a one week diet. I like the experience is priceless line the best.

+1 More StyleForvm gold.

amd123

Reaction score
ITT, lots of bullshit...one person comes in and posts researched and proven and advice I've tried and gets trolled CSB
biggrin.gif

c00kz

Reaction score
amd, your post is 10x longer than it needs to be. All your super-micro-macro-post-pre-keto-cycle-hiit-bpm-liss talk reeks of having just discovered bb.com or something. I've got this feeling you're (subconsciously) trying to complicate weightloss- making it seem as if there is a complex code you've only now discovered- so you don't feel as bad knowing, y'know, you've been all fat and stuff, and haven't in 18 years bothered to follow the rules. On that note,

RULES:

1. eat fewer cals than you need

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads