• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am not bored or lonely but i am boring

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i guess i'm more wondering if there's something wrong with me in that i am content. not wild about the idea of a safari or living among a tribe or reading undiscovered books. i guess if i am content, i should be content with that.

Yes, of course. Why do you feel the need to have your happiness validated according to some external standards that may not fit with your lifestyle or desires?

I have a three small kids and a job that suck up 80% of my time. I split my remaining time between the Internet and managing some rental properties. I don't have TV, rarely watch movies and read in bed for a few minutes before falling asleep. We usually socialize with friends (and their kids) on the weekends and most of our travel involves visiting family in other places. I have neither the time nor the desire to do anything more at this point in my life. Nothing wrong with that.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
Yeah, my father did this, went hiking in North Africa, travelled here and there and did some sort of qualification in garden design. Sweet if you can do it, but I feel like the option may not be there for everyone. Just setting aside some empty time one weekend, so you don't have to follow the routine and can do something you haven't done for a while is fairly good for a start I would think.

I hear that Somalia is an exciting place to go hiking. Kunk, go to Somalia.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty full plate. Didn't you recently start BJJ as well?

I'm a single guy with no SO and no dependents and I've resigned myself to the fact that there aren't enough hours in the day or energy in my body to pursue all my interests. I think it's realistic to pursue 3-5 interests outside of work and home life (I don't count watching TV or hanging out with friends to be "interests"), assuming participation 2x/week to become reasonably proficient.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think its chemically impossible for you to be boring. Not with all the caffiene in your system.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I was feeling kinda down on myself too a couple months ago...I rowed six days a week all throughout highschool, did martial arts, played three instruments, wrote music, would jam with my friends everyday, used to always be reading a book or two at a time...I've kind of become a ************* in college.

I don't do much anymore besides go to class, ****, hang out in my room (interwebz) and do stupid **** with my friends. I still pick up my guitar and putz around sometimes when it’s nice outside but I just don’t go for it all the time like I used to. I stopped rowing because I was tired of it and I'm too small to compete at the collegiate level (my school doesn't have a lightweight crew), there are virtually no martial arts to speak of in the town my school is in (there's a bullshit TKD school that I think was handing out black belts to the kids class the day I visited), I hadn't played a show or written anything in months, and my grades were just not as good as they should've been. Was/am also thinking about transferring, my school is ******* tiny and kind of in the middle of nowhere.

Obviously our situations are really different, I'm just a kid ******* around in undergrad and you're an adult with a family and company but I guess I kinda know what it feels like a little bit to look back and say "**** I used to do a lot of stuff." For me though, I kinda try to take a step back and ask myself how I got to where I am and why I used to do all those things I’m not doing anymore…Kunk, you always struck me as the kind of person with peace of mind but I’m just extrapolating from things you’ve posted on the internet. It’s definitely annoying and kind of upsetting to think “**** I used to be in badass shape and **** I used to make really great music all the time,” but I guess I’m happy with myself anyway because I have enough good things going on in my life, I’m proud of the things I’ve done and the things I’m doing now, and I guess part of me figures one day I’ll get back to those things I still want to do.

Again, a little different for you. If those things are important to you though I figure you’re probably already thinking about how to do them again or how to make them happen. If you really don’t like traveling, *******, who gives a ****? Travel with your wife and kids to make them happy and don’t worry about it. Is this creating some kind of inferiority complex in you dude? I wouldn’t say that a persons worth can be measured or something by how much **** one does and how much stuff one has seen, contrary to popular belief. That might’ve been off track but it happens to people, definitely has happened to me and I have quite an ego myself.

I think one thing both of us, or all of us could really do anyway, is take some time away from SF. I know I’m on this ******* forum way too much. Not a vacation, just less time spent you know?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my wife concurs, said i should spend that time drawing or something. bball league i play in starts in 2 weeks, so forum activity will be down a good bit.

Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
I dunno. I was feeling kinda down on myself too a couple months ago...I rowed six days a week all throughout highschool, did martial arts, played three instruments, wrote music, would jam with my friends everyday, used to always be reading a book or two at a time...I've kind of become a ************* in college.

I don't do much anymore besides go to class, ****, hang out in my room (interwebz) and do stupid **** with my friends. I still pick up my guitar and putz around sometimes when it's nice outside but I just don't go for it all the time like I used to. I stopped rowing because I was tired of it and I'm too small to compete at the collegiate level (my school doesn't have a lightweight crew), there are virtually no martial arts to speak of in the town my school is in (there's a bullshit TKD school that I think was handing out black belts to the kids class the day I visited), I hadn't played a show or written anything in months, and my grades were just not as good as they should've been. Was/am also thinking about transferring, my school is ******* tiny and kind of in the middle of nowhere.

Obviously our situations are really different, I'm just a kid ******* around in undergrad and you're an adult with a family and company but I guess I kinda know what it feels like a little bit to look back and say "**** I used to do a lot of stuff." For me though, I kinda try to take a step back and ask myself how I got to where I am and why I used to do all those things I'm not doing anymore...Kunk, you always struck me as the kind of person with peace of mind but I'm just extrapolating from things you've posted on the internet. It's definitely annoying and kind of upsetting to think "**** I used to be in badass shape and **** I used to make really great music all the time," but I guess I'm happy with myself anyway because I have enough good things going on in my life, I'm proud of the things I've done and the things I'm doing now, and I guess part of me figures one day I'll get back to those things.

Again, a little different for you. If those things are important to you though I figure you're probably already thinking about how to do them again or how to make them happen. If you really don't like traveling, *******, who gives a ****? Travel with your wife and kids to make them happy and don't worry about it. Is this creating some kind of inferiority complex in you dude? I wouldn't say that a persons worth can be measured or something by how much **** one does and how much stuff one has seen, contrary to popular belief. That might've been off track but it happens to people, definitely has happened to me and I have quite an ego myself.

I think one thing both of us, or all of us could really do anyway, is take some time away from SF. I know I'm on this ******* forum way too much. Not a vacation, just less time spent you know?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...bball league i play in starts in 2 weeks, so forum activity will be down a good bit.

Thank heaven for small miracles.

j/k
rotflmao.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
dunno what happened. i used to like to/want to travel to exotic locales, used to paint and draw all the time; now i am content to hang around the house. takes every breath of my being to do anything besides:

work
sex
gym
eat
buy clothes
coach basketball
sit on internet

that is it. i seldom read. only travel at the wife's urging. barely watch tv or movies. what the hell is wrong with me?

nothing wrong with you

scugger

Reaction score
Although I'm sure all of us will miss your forum comments, it would probably be best to cut down the forum activity for a while.

Maybe even take a one week or two week complete hiatus from SF, and see what you do to fill the time that you've gained.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the horror!

scugger

Reaction score
Just go to your hosts file and redirect styleforum.net to 127.0.0.1.

At the very least you will find some other cool thing on the internet to occupy your time. At best you will spend less time at the computer!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Kunk:

I'll try to be gentle here. You're getting old and middle aged. Classic signs.

Sorry to break it to you like that brah.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just took a multivitamin as I type this on a plane bound for darfur.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop sitting on the internet!

It's slow enough already.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads