I am moving the thread I high-jacked

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by flylot74, Nov 12, 2007.

1. flylot74

flylot74 Senior member

OK Guys, here is my premise. Since about the 1960s our sartorial standards have declined significantly. I believe that this is one of many symptoms of our societal decline. Our morals have decayed, our religious beliefs have been called into ridicule, our work ethic has declined. Our standards are not what they used to be. We have lowered ourselves into some kind of abyss where moral relativism rules the day.

Consequently, our status in the world has been lowered and in fact we are fighting for our economic survival. Our educational standard and related product is horrible.
    Jobs are being lost overseas. We manufacture and design very little. Do you agree or not? If you do, do you think it is our collective responsibility to set high standards. Do you choose to lead, follow, or just get out of the way.

I know where I stand, where do you?

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

Again, into the abyss we shall march...

3. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

Dude, they're just a rock group get over it.

4. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

"Our religious beliefs" says quite a bit...

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

OK Guys, here is my premise. Since about the 1960s our sartorial standards have declined significantly. I believe that this is one of many symptoms of our societal decline. Our morals have decayed, our religious beliefs have been called into ridicule, our work ethic has declined. Our standards are not what they used to be. We have lowered ourselves into some kind of abyss where moral relativism rules the day.

Consequently, our status in the world has been lowered and in fact we are fighting for our economic survival. Our educational standard and related product is horrible.
    Jobs are being lost overseas. We manufacture and design very little. Do you agree or not? If you do, do you think it is our collective responsibility to set high standards. Do you choose to lead, follow, or just get out of the way.

I know where I stand, where do you?

I hate to rain on your parade, but the fact that the majority of people here who care about style are also radical left wing nutjobs seems to slightly blunt your argument. They may not have moral or religious values, but they do look good.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just don't buy the connection. Some of the best, most God-fearing people I know dress in jeans and T-shirts. Doing so doesn't make them bad people. And it's not just true now. How many men have owned only one suit, so that they could wear it to church on Sunday?

The clothes a man wears do not advertise the contents of his heart. That, the Bible tells us, is known only to God.

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Nazi officers were very well-dressed.

8. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

Such melodramatic, misplaced nationalism. The sky is not falling, and even if it were, baggy jeans and baseball caps at dinner are not the precursor to said fall.

9. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
  10. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

Such melodramatic, misplaced nationalism. The sky is not falling, and even if it were, baggy jeans and baseball caps at dinner are not the precursor to said fall.

Well put.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

The wheel keeps turning, the old order gives way to the new, nothing lasts, except maybe a good straight razor.
    China was once great and cultured, Mesopotamia and Constantinople were once centers of advanced learning. The Greeks made their empire but eventually gave way to the Romans and ridiculed them for their lack of culture. The Roman empire eventually gave way to feudalism and the dark ages (taking liberties here), which in turn gave way to the Renaissance. Europe was a power, Germany and Russia were powers. Once, the sun never set on the British Empire. The US became the last remaining 'superpower' once the USSR was no more.

So, you think our day in the sun should never end? Are we that special?

12. romafan

romafan Senior member

I hate to rain on your parade, but the fact that the majority of people here who care about style are also radical left wing nutjobs seems to slightly blunt your argument. They may not have moral or religious values, but they do look good.

Funny, I was going to say the opposite....[​IMG]

13. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

+1 to this as well.

14. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

I personally weestern society highest point was in all respects was in the the late 15th century. The societal decay started with with the sodding protestants and the budding merchant class. [​IMG]

15. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

You might fit in better at "Ask Andy..."