• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am looking for Bluetooth headset recommendations

Style guy

Reaction score
I am looking for a new BT headset. It has to be fairly small and not too expensive ( Around $70.00 or so)

I have a Motorola H300 I believe. the problem is that it is hard to get a good fit due to it's size. It is long and it keeps flopping around on my ear.

finch

Reaction score

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My recommendation = don't wear one.

Unless you absolutely need to talk on the phone while driving. In that case, take it off before you even get out of your car.

Style guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
My recommendation = don't wear one.

Unless you absolutely need to talk on the phone while driving. In that case, take it off before you even get out of your car.

I don't have to talk while driving but when I do it would be usefull to have. I would rather use a BT than talk on the phone itself

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a bunch of research late last year when I finally bought one and I found that the Sound ID SM100 was the best. It costs a bit more but worth it. I got one on ebay and saved around $30, can probably be purhased around $70-80.

It is an in ear model and so small that it doesn't need the gigantic ear wraparound. It also has an environmental mode so you can hear with the ear when it's in. My best purchase of 2007.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
This thread makes me think of the people that would never remove their bluetooth, not even during meetings or dates. That fad is GONE. And it was always rude.

I use a wired headset in the car, and a normal phone everywhere else. Call me old fashioned.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't wear one; it's overrated.

1. Dusts/greese will build up in the bluetooth headset mic areas after a few weeks of use and you will sound like being muffled by a condom.
2. Your voice will usually get overwhelmed by background noises (such as wind or air from A/C when you are driving) due to the design and sensitivity of wireless headset mic.
3. If you are important, you don't need to be on the phone all the time.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear one in the car while driving and at home while doing things like dishes, ironing, etc. Makes my life infinitely easier. When out in public (other than while driving) I do not wear/use one cause I think it looks silly and a bit pretentious.

I have a Plantronics one but am considering upgrading to the Jawbone because I have yet to meet a person who doesn't love it.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I wear one in the car while driving and at home while doing things like dishes, ironing, etc. Makes my life infinitely easier. When out in public (other than while driving) I do not wear/use one cause I think it looks silly and a bit pretentious.

I have a Plantronics one but am considering upgrading to the Jawbone because I have yet to meet a person who doesn't love it.

About my only complaint(s) about the jawbone is the volume level isn't loud enough, and it doesn't do very well in wind. Other than that, I've been satisfied with mine.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Don't wear one; it's overrated.

1. Dusts/greese will build up in the bluetooth headset mic areas after a few weeks of use and you will sound like being muffled by a condom.
2. Your voice will usually get overwhelmed by background noises (such as wind or air from A/C when you are driving) due to the design and sensitivity of wireless headset mic.
3. If you are important, you don't need to be on the phone all the time.

I am not important so I wear one all the time. My best suggestion, find a place with a liberal return policy. its all trial and error. I have currently a moto550/500 that I really like. I use both on my blackberry and my moto razr. I also have a moto 300 and a cardo 210 and before that I had a body glove one. Those other ones all suck. I use mine all the time, not only for driving, but because I am up from my desk all the time, so now I am constantly wearing it. I suck, I know.

but that said, I have heard rave reviews about the jawbone, and that will be my next purchase. I have also heard excellent things about the plantronics voyager 510 and I think 530

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merckx
About my only complaint(s) about the jawbone is the volume level isn't loud enough, and it doesn't do very well in wind. Other than that, I've been satisfied with mine.
I doubt any of them would do all that great in windy conditions but thanks for the head's up about the volume. Luckily I'm still young and have good hearing.
smile.gif

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
I have also heard excellent things about the plantronics voyager 510 and I think 530

I have the 510. It's pretty good and I bought it based on many positive reviews. To be honest, I haven't tried any others (which might speak for a favorable experience) to compare. My only quibble is that the button to turn it on and off is amazingly stupid. I have to press it down with my fingernail because it's very small and needs quite a firm press. Using the fleshy pad of my finger doesn't do the trick half of the time. Don't know how to explain it but it is, in my opinion, a very poor design.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I doubt any of them would do all that great in windy conditions but thanks for the head's up about the volume. Luckily I'm still young and have good hearing.
smile.gif

Prior to the jawbone I had a Motorola that actually did better in the wind.

*sigh* The ravages of time, I was told the legs were always the first to go.

Financier

Reaction score
I have a scala 500, which is known for doing better than most in the wind. No complaints. Never leaves the car.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a basic motorola that came with my phone which is nice. my phone is a sony w580 and way too quite to be of any use unless you're in a completley silent room. the headset does a good job of amplifying the sound. it's just plain easier to talk on a blue tooth when you're doing other stuff like typing, or are going to be talking for a long time.

I'm not a big fan of wearing a bluetooth when I'm not taking a call. I usually keep it in a jacket pocket and take it out when my phone starts ringing. But when I'm taking a call and busy talking on the phone, I don't care what some stranger thinks of it.

I want that motorola h9 headset. It's about the size of a quarter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads