• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am in search of a new cologne

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CREED is very good brand but don't expect it to be long-lasting 5-6 hours and it is gone.
I tried a lot of different fragrances and for the quality/longevity and aroma you cannot beat Joe Malone. Go to Saks5th and try it for free.
Fantastic stuff.

boo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cb_32
How old are you?
what's it for - work, play? day, night? summer, winter?
Going out, bars clubs etc. Something that stands out a bit.
do you like - sweet, citrus, green, soapy, spicy, woody, salty, floral, etc...
Spicy, woody.
do you want something that's close to the skin or projects out?
somewhere in the middle
something that lasts 2-3 hours, 5-6 hours, of 10+
the longer the better
budget? 30-50, 70-100, 150-200...
150 is probably the most i would spend

I'm going to take a swing and suggest trying D&G The One. People report longevity as an issue, however. For me, it's just average. See if you can sample it first.

edit: Varvatos sounds good too.

Fantastic Mr Foxx

Reaction score
I have heard so many good reviews about creed and aqua di parma, but never really have the chance to try them, since I have not yet found a retail store that sells these.

Edit: you might (also) want to check the Scent/fragrance of the day thread for some great advice/ideas.

JTA

Reaction score
I am using Creed's Green Irish Tweed for sporty and casual occasions, and reserving Creed's Bois du Portugal and Chanel's Platinum Egoiste for evening.

Considering Terre d'Hermes when GIT runs out.

Neo1824

Reaction score
I'm wearing YSL l'homme lately. Also tried some Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (which my wife liked a lot).

JCMStyles

Reaction score
Used to heavily wear Terre de Hermes until I discovered Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford... Right after, I stumbled upon Cartier's "Santos de Cartier" [concentree version]. Picked it up at the Cartier boutique after picking out a few items [I assumed there was an employee purchase limit...guess not!] Took it home and have been using it often since...so addicting.

Thus far, I've gotten a dozen compliments on the Cartier. Its a very elegant and long lasting scent. I'll bet cha after your girl smells that unique scent, she will want to leave that 8pm cocktail party she forced you to go to all week at 8:01pm and pleasure you in more ways than one outside the venue.
facepalm.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the newbies... Never buy any cologne for its brand name alone. When testing any cologne, be sure to spray a small test on your arm or wrist. Let sit for a minute, then smell. Make sure the cologne works with your body chemistry before buying. Colognes and perfumes smell one way in the bottle, and can smell quite diferent on you, so always do the test first. Ask any woman and she'll tell you. No point using a cologne for its name prestige if it fights your chemistry, because it can possibly become a disagreeable blend on you. When using colognes, use very sparingly. When you walk past someone, they should pick up just a hint of the cologne and no more. So many people make the mistake of applying too much. I think we've all smelled a person here & there who used way too much perfume. Probably they didn't take a shower that day and thought they could mask it with half a bottle of perfume, but it only worked against them as they ended up smelling like a dreadful tart. One cologne that worked best for me was 'Escape' by Calvin Klein. My wife at that time gave it to me and 10 years later I still have half a bottle of it left. I never use cologne at work because in an office it can become a rather nauseating 'united nations' of perfumes, colognes & sweat. Hope this input is useful to someone out there.
teacha.gif
As a side note, I thought I would share a classic David Letterman 'Top 10' list.... Top 10 Rejected Names for Joan Collins' New Perfume
icons_collins-600x400.jpg
10. Fleet's in! 9. Who's Frying Eggs? 8. Better than that Crap Linda Evans is selling 7. SIXTYsomething 6. If Symptoms Persist, Contact Your Doctor 5. Suddenly Exxon! 4. Kennel Cough 3. Joan Collins' latest Cynical Attempt to Cash in on Her Popularity before the Whole World Gets Sick and Tired of Her Once and for All 2. Really Old Spice 1. Next!

Jared7

Reaction score
I really like 'Cool Water' by Davidoff. Nothing comes close to it!

ironduke

Reaction score
I would recommend Chanel Antaeus in this situation. (In fact I would recommend Antaeus on any case)
It is a woody chypre cologne, powerful but not repulsive, lasts quite a long time. It will definitely stand out, I think. Not a spice cologne, not muted, not hard to purchase(At least this is the case in my country). Don't ask what is chypre. I do not know. This scent is very masculine, but being masculine do not mean that Antaeus is vulgar/dumb macho type. More of a sophisticated masculine character type.
Some warning against Antaeus : Do not purchase online(many fake Chanels around), Use lightly.

ApplesHK

Reaction score
Creed's Green Irish Tweed not long lasting? I totally disagree. I have never owned it but I did spray it on a few weeks back. 6 hours later my partner complained of the strength of it. Next day after a shower, it was still there. Now that's long lasting. It's my next buy.
I always have these 3 on my shelves:
1. Habit Rouge (Guerlain) It's the most distinctive note of all......has that Guerlain vanilla signature, but there's nothing like it. Women have been known to steal it from my shelf.
2. Eau Savage (Dior)
3. Egoiste Platinum (Chanel).

Lots of people recommend Terre de Hermes and it wins a lot of awards, but it smells like cat's pee on me I'm afraid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads