• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am going to the elite model look 2003......

MikeFashion

Reaction score
I am going to the Elite Model look 2003. The event is sponsored by Carpe Denim and Von Dutch. I think there is going to be a lot of celebs and press there. What do you think I should wear?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you going as a contestant (good luck) or as a member of the audience? You might want to dress differently, depending on which group you belong to.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine that the range of styles and formality will run the gamut from fairly conservative to very outre. Really, you should consult your friend/date. If she or he has no opinion whatsoever, I think that a slim, fairly casual, Helmut Lang-style black suit is fairly standard. Von Dutch and Carpe Diem are both streetwear brands, so you might want to downplay the suit with an interesting top. I've seen hoodies worn under suits to good effect lately, but that may be a little too last season. Maybe you could use the pinstriped sportsjacket and combat pants combination that some designers have been advocating recently to cover all your bases (combats are pretty big this season, so you'll be safe on that front.) However, since you are not one of the grandees, I would stay away from an all casual ensemble unless your date/friend says otherwise.

European Interloper

Reaction score
I'd advocate a very slim fitted pinstripe with combats and maybe some interesting shoes. Otherwise, you can never go wrong with a black slim urbanweight suit with an interesting shirt, as LA Guy said (I think he should start a website..). I saw a pretty cool look in NYC: it was the combination of LA Guy's recommendation (slim pinstripe suit and combats) with some very ghetto-style black knight/pony shoes and a hoodie under the suit. It does smell of last season a little bit, but maybe you can pull it off?
EI

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you mean last season, does that mean it';s reached saturation point?

Not necessarily. What I mean is that the look is identifiably associated with the collection of one or more labels from the last season, and is "trendy" rather than "timeless" look. Of course, there is no problem with incorporating pieces that are identifiably from past seasons into your current wardrobe if they fit your personal style. In fact, most guys would do well to avoid slavishly following trends, most of which have notoriously short lifetimes and for many, mercifully so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads