• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am going to take the plunge into straight razors

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great news. When you run out of the preshave oil, if you want more, you'd do better just using extra virgin olive oil. Works much better than preshave oils and it's good/moisturizing for your face too.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Great news. When you run out of the preshave oil, if you want more, you'd do better just using extra virgin olive oil. Works much better than preshave oils and it's good/moisturizing for your face too.

+1. It's what I do, has the same positive qualities. If you want to emulate the tiny bottles of oil sold for way too much, you can go and buy yourself some almond 'cooking' oil in the supermarket; pretty much exactly the same thing.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've never tried preshave oil, I just don't wash my face beforehand. Seems to work.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wash my forehead and nose with Cetaphil, but any part I shave I don't wash. I know I will get gasps for that, but my skin has never looked or felt better.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sartorian are you familiar with the oil cleansing method?

MCsommerreid

Reaction score

Even better is to use a good quality shaving cream and a hot/warm towel, and then re-lather on top of that. The various oils don't really soften the hairs as much as the shaving cream does, what they do is make a more slick surface for the razor to glide on.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sartorian are you familiar with the oil cleansing method?

No. I'm listening, javyn.

As far as washing the face, I pretty much have to shower before shaving now. And I use an exfoliating scrub on my face. I guess that makes the pre-shave oil more of a necessity. But we all know these rituals can only be modified bit by bit...

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
try googling up oil cleansing method. essentially, instead of washing your face with soap or scrubs, you use a mixture of olive oil and cold pressed castor oil, then steam/wipe off with a very very hot wash rag. it's quite amazing really, been doing it every night (almost) for a month.

The castor oil heals and draws the oil, grime, etc from your pores and dissolves it. Then the olive oil replaces what the castor oil drew out for moisturization.

It actually doesn't make my face oily at all, often my face is dry after doing it, and I have to moisturize more with straight olive oil.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sh*t. Yet another tweak I'm going to become obsessed with. OP, beware, straight blade shaving brings out the serious OCD in a man...

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made the move to a good DE (Merkur Vision) and have found, after testing a number of different blades, a bit of shaving heaven.

I find your move from safety directly to a straight edge to be bold, indeed.

I'm so satisfied with my DE shaves that presently I cannot imagine moving to a straight edge, manly though they are.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to take the plunge as well but im worried about havign to sharpen it myself... i don't know if I can handle doing that properly. I'm going to start to shave again (have been using a beard trimmer and never shaving completely for a year) and I want to do it right this time and buy the correct products (pre shave oil or something) to minimize irritation. I'm searching styleforum right now but if you know any good sites that talk about products, throw them my way.

Opcn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
I made the move to a good DE (Merkur Vision) and have found, after testing a number of different blades, a bit of shaving heaven.

I find your move from safety directly to a straight edge to be bold, indeed.

I'm so satisfied with my DE shaves that presently I cannot imagine moving to a straight edge, manly though they are.

I considered making the switch one step at a time (DE then straight) but figured that a DE wouldn't help me that much so I should just skip it, I'm finally not bleeding profusely with every shave now, its pretty nice, and I got the best shave of my life today, although my skin is a little rough, I really need to step up my skin care regiment.

Originally Posted by cldpsu
I want to take the plunge as well but im worried about havign to sharpen it myself... i don't know if I can handle doing that properly. I'm going to start to shave again (have been using a beard trimmer and never shaving completely for a year) and I want to do it right this time and buy the correct products (pre shave oil or something) to minimize irritation. I'm searching styleforum right now but if you know any good sites that talk about products, throw them my way.

Feather no sharpen razors could be the answer for you to start with at least, the experience is not identical but they are sharp as can be, some say too sharp, or even a DOVO shavette, where you use half of a DE blade, both are reported to let you get a feel for holding the straight blade and for how much you like the idea of straight edge shaving. Personally I really like the look of the Japanese style no fold and considered getting one for myself but didn't want to drop $200on something that will require blade changes, part of what drew me to straight razors was the fact that nothing needs to be replaced for a good 100 years or so.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I could always have someone sharpen it for me, right? Do you guys ever use coffee mugs for your soap? I'm guessing it may not be wide enough?

Opcn

Reaction score
You could and it is a good idea to buy your first razor from a honemeister or order a hand honing service with it so that you don't have to worry about honing till after you know what a good shave feels like. I used a coffee mug in highschool, before I really knew what to do, it was a big one so it worked okay, but not as well as a real shaving mug would.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What could be the difference.. i mean the brush isn't making contact with the bottom of the mug, right?

What do you think about the quality of a carbon steel? I am considering getting the art of shaving kit (not sure yet how to tell what my skin is like) and might get the black 105 dollar straight razor... after having it honed properly.. do you think it would prove worthy?

What are the downfalls of a 100 dollar straight razor or a carbon steel material..? After seeing 700 dollar razors on classic shaving i feel like 100 is crap or something lol. I take it the material of the handle adds a lot to the price though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads