• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am fat

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Psyllium Hust - nature's appetite suppressant. (It's the main ingredient in metamucil.) It'll keep you regular as hell, too.

which is all just fiber that you can get from vegetables. just eat food.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Instead of walking, try jogging or rowing.

Instead of power lifts, do core exercises without stopping - maintain a high heart rate through your gym time.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
to the op: eat right, work out hard and start smoking again. it's how i stay fabulous.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lets all be honest - cigs + coffee is the best diet ever.

smkm123

Reaction score
It seems that many people in high school and college were able to eat whatever they want and not gain a pound but after college, same habits of eating + slowing of metabolism makes people explode.

I'm starting to see that now on myself....

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
which is all just fiber that you can get from vegetables. just eat food.

A little bit of psyllium is more effective than lettuce/broccoli/etc. IMO. If your stomach is rumbling, it's a lot easier to take one rather than put together a dry healthy salad - which may not be enjoyable. There's nothing wrong with supplementing real food when it helps you reach your goals.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A little bit of psyllium is more effective than lettuce/broccoli/etc. IMO. If your stomach is rumbling, it's a lot easier to take one rather than put together a dry healthy salad - which may not be enjoyable. There's nothing wrong with supplementing real food when it helps you reach your goals.

it is a lot easier, but it doesn't teach you to proportion foods. and taking a bunch of salad from a bag of spring greens and mixing it with some pre-chopped herbs, cucumbers, tomatoes, and/or what have you, adding a little bit of pre-made vinaigrette is not that hard. it takes 10 minutes at most if you haven't chopped anything.

if you don't have time yeah, supplements work. i'm sure we can all sustain ourselves with protein powders and supplements, but you might as well learn how to cook and eat real food.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lachy
I'm similar to this. I stopped my exercise at the start of the year, and though I could do occasional maintenance, but I put on 5kg (11lbs) in 5 months. All my clothes got tight and I got pissed off. I'm back in the gym now 4 - 5 times a week and I'm noticing change quite quickly. I feel I need to eat large meals, like you were saying too. I've realized, I just have to exercise regularly in order to eat the way I want and to look the way I want.

To the OP, follow the advice already suggested, substitute raw vegies to fill your cravings, and try to tough the cravings a bit more. And increase your cardio. Stick with it, the cravings will subside and you'll be fitter and healthier for it. DO NOT go back to smoking.

fistbump.gif

no one understands us.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it is a lot easier, but it doesn't teach you to proportion foods. and taking a bunch of salad from a bag of spring greens and mixing it with some pre-chopped herbs, cucumbers, tomatoes, and/or what have you, adding a little bit of pre-made vinaigrette is not that hard. it takes 10 minutes at most if you haven't chopped anything.
It takes 10 minutes, if you have access to all of that and a fridge and you've already prepped everything. And with that vinaigrette, would be several hundred calories.

Sorry, I think it's better for someone keen on losing weight to take a 5cal fiber pill to quell hunger pangs than to eat 200 calories worth of salad and dressing to do the same. He can have that salad for a mini-meal or with a meal at other times (and while I'm inordinately fond of plain, cold romaine lettuce, the potential for burnout could be very high).

if you don't have time yeah, supplements work. i'm sure we can all sustain ourselves with protein powders and supplements, but you might as well learn how to cook and eat real food.
False dichotomies for $500, Alex.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jennakortan
I have slowed down on smoking too, and gained weight. I think it's a mannerism thing. Try suckers or hard candies to keep your mouth busy!

As for your exercise regiment, try some exercise ball workouts, they take 10 minutes a day, and you can't believe how lean you get fromthese moves within just a couple weeks!!

Good Luck
smile.gif
xx

yes. these things, when you are dedicated enough to do it every day, will work for you.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, everyone has their own baseline of what they can eat in a day, based on their daily activities (whether office job, walking around, workouts, etc.), and not gain or lose weight. Some people can't go over 2000 calories, on average, while others can enjoy 4000 before they put on noticeable weight. Apparently Sho can get away with 3500 calories +/- with two huge meals and not get too fat (since he throws in the cardio). Obviously he does not look like a men's health model and this balance will be thrown off, as he acknowledges, as soon as he stops working out.

Cardio is only good to keep the "calories in/calories out" equation on balance. Burning 500 calories in one cardio session, besides the heart benefits, is only good for that, unlike muscle building where your body continues to burn more calories. But whatevs...

As far as feeling full. Drink tons of water, or if carbonation helps you feel full, drink the diet sodas. And snack often with the little things people mention here, preferably almonds and fibrous foods.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It takes 10 minutes, if you have access to all of that and a fridge and you've already prepped everything. And with that vinaigrette, would be several hundred calories.

it takes half a minute if you've prepped everything. you just toss everything in a bowl. and there are such things as low calorie vinaigrettes. if not you can just measure out how much oil you put in. salads don't need to be dripping with vinaigrettes to taste good.

Sorry, I think it's better for someone keen on losing weight to take a 5cal fiber pill to quell hunger pangs than to eat 200 calories worth of salad and dressing to do the same. He can have that salad for a mini-meal or with a meal at other times (and while I'm inordinately fond of plain, cold romaine lettuce, the potential for burnout could be very high).
i'm not disagreeing with you. it's clearly easier to eat a pill than eat a salad, but what i'm saying is in the long run making food rather than substituting it with supplements teaches you more about portion control and helps you maintain your diet. obesity isn't easily fixed with a pill or two of fiber and a large salad physically fills your stomach and induces satiety more quickly than a pill of fiber would even at the same amount of fiber.

False dichotomies for $500, Alex.
you're so darn funny! (10)

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do what Christain Bale did for The Machinist- eat an apple and a cup of coffee a day.
2004_the_machinist_006.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads