• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Am Dandy?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this? It's a big full color picutre book of modern "dandies." At least one guy is, or was, a WAYWRN regular (bairns, the black guy in London, apologize if misspelled). There may be other forum people in it.

Bruce Boyer, James Sherwood, Hamish Bowles , Christian Chensvold and Nick Foulkes represent the "writers." There are some other semi-famous dressers, including Ed Hayes and the Churchwell brothers.

And then there are quite a few who look just plain bizarre. As in, so bizarre they would make LabelKing blink. (He should have been in it, if you ask me.) I don't expect I will buy it but it was interesting to look at.

Also, there is a new(ish) book called "Sharp Suits" that was, IMO, better and more informative, though a completely different concept to be sure. It quotes me three times. Yay! No attempt to puzzle out the numerology. Sigh.

Last edited:

Geezer

Reaction score
Eric Musgrave's Sharp Suits is from 2009 and has some readable text but is mostly worth it for the interesting collection of pictures. It is well worth whatever it sells at on discount from Amazon.

I'm less enthused by this whole modern dandy thing. I'm not sure the internet has been a positive influence on it.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does one differentiate between the modern dandies and I-Gents?

bertie

Reaction score
Or put another way - one takes pleasure from eliciting a response from a broad audience using clothing while the other seeks the approval of fellow enthusiasts alone using both clothing and a self-professed expertise.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The book is drawn from Rose Callahan's site, Dandy Portraits, dandyportraits.blogspot.com, of which some of us have been big fans for years. There's a commitment to an individual look in dandyism, which is far more than just folowing a set of guidelines. It's not for everyone and it makes no attempt to 'fit in'. But it still entails a deep knowledge, if not a mastery, of the rules in order to go beyond them.

To the OP, it wouldn't have been that hard to check Barims's handle and get it right; you come across as a little disrespectful and dismissive here, which I am sure was not intentional.

And I would say , yes, LabelKing certainly fits the bill. I think Butler and TTO were both pictured at some of the launch parties too.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
ojfc

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best recent book on fashion is Ivy style.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the modern term "dandy" has connotations so far removed from what dandy actually is.

Mariooo

Reaction score
Funny, I stumbled over this book at almost the same time Manton started the thread...

I'm not interested in reading about the profiles/biographies/reasons etc... of the portrayed guys, but the pictures seem to be very nice.. not sure if I'll be ordering it..

I've enjoyed the other mentioned book, mostly for the great pictures, so who knows..

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Spoiler alert: to normal people, you're all dandies.

Piggy-backing off of pB, I don't think "normal people" these days know what a dandy is. And if someone calls you a "dandy," they're likely not saying what we're talking about here.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads