• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Am Dandy?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Many, including myself, have mourned the modern, and supposedly bastardized, definition of the word "dandy." But there has never really been a precise or universal definition of the word, except that Brummell definitely was one, and the good kind.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have at it

30syp7a.jpg

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've wanted to rip the tags of my Barba Dandylife shirts, but haven't done it. Stupid name

880319-50-1.jpg

Last edited:

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
A dandy is not only someone who is well dressed, and cares about his wardrobe. He is a romantic about clothes, in the sense that Lytton Strachey describes:

"The object of all art is to make suggestions. The romantic artist attains that end by using a multitude of different stimuli, by calling up image after image, recollection after recollection, until the reader's mind is filled and held by a vivid and palpable evocation; the classic works by the contrary method of a fine economy, and, ignoring everything but what is essential, trusts, by means of the exact propriety of his presentation, to produce the required effect."

The dandy is a romantic in having a profuse, lavish style of sumptuous color and exuberant detail. It is the counterpart in clothing of the richly described and overflowing sentences of the romantic movement in literature. That is why someone who wears a double-breasted vest, a bright and colorful plaid, or a boutonniere (perhaps all at the same time) is apt to be called a dandy. He prefers a multitude of impressions over a fine economy.

It is possible to be well dressed without being a dandy. Such a man would take after the classical movement, relying on simplicity, precision, and balance for elegance. It's the beauty of a well-cut, plain navy suit with a white shirt and subtle tie.

I think of Cary Grant, later in life, as leaning towards classical dress, and Oscar Wilde, with the orchid in his lapel, preferring the romantic style of the dandy. Men can wear both styles, but I'm referring to tendencies in their dress -- one relying on a luxuriant abundance, the other on a purity of color and cleanness of line. So whether Manton is a dandy depends on if his style reminds you more of Wilde, Benjamin Disraeli, and the Duke of Windsor, or someone like Cary Grant and Elliot Richardson.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Subscribed just for the photoshop. Also reminded me to re-order a copy of Manton's book, since the copy my mom got me at age 18 is has long since disappeared.

Your mom bought you a copy of Manton's book?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads