1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I Am Dandy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen this? It's a big full color picutre book of modern "dandies." At least one guy is, or was, a WAYWRN regular (bairns, the black guy in London, apologize if misspelled). There may be other forum people in it.

Bruce Boyer, James Sherwood, Hamish Bowles , Christian Chensvold and Nick Foulkes represent the "writers." There are some other semi-famous dressers, including Ed Hayes and the Churchwell brothers.

And then there are quite a few who look just plain bizarre. As in, so bizarre they would make LabelKing blink. (He should have been in it, if you ask me.) I don't expect I will buy it but it was interesting to look at.

Also, there is a new(ish) book called "Sharp Suits" that was, IMO, better and more informative, though a completely different concept to be sure. It quotes me three times. Yay! No attempt to puzzle out the numerology. Sigh.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

Eric Musgrave's Sharp Suits is from 2009 and has some readable text but is mostly worth it for the interesting collection of pictures. It is well worth whatever it sells at on discount from Amazon.

I'm less enthused by this whole modern dandy thing. I'm not sure the internet has been a positive influence on it.

3. dreamspace

dreamspace Well-Known Member

How does one differentiate between the modern dandies and I-Gents?

4. wmb

wmb Well-Known Member

You are a dandy.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Barims, though I enjoy the implication, re: this dandy picture book, that yer poor engines canna take much more.

6. conradwu

conradwu Well-Known Member

One is vain, the other happens to have too much spare time posing in front of a camera.

1 person likes this.
  7. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

Or put another way - one takes pleasure from eliciting a response from a broad audience using clothing while the other seeks the approval of fellow enthusiasts alone using both clothing and a self-professed expertise.

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

The book is drawn from Rose Callahan's site, Dandy Portraits, dandyportraits.blogspot.com, of which some of us have been big fans for years. There's a commitment to an individual look in dandyism, which is far more than just folowing a set of guidelines. It's not for everyone and it makes no attempt to 'fit in'. But it still entails a deep knowledge, if not a mastery, of the rules in order to go beyond them.

To the OP, it wouldn't have been that hard to check Barims's handle and get it right; you come across as a little disrespectful and dismissive here, which I am sure was not intentional.

And I would say , yes, LabelKing certainly fits the bill. I think Butler and TTO were both pictured at some of the launch parties too.

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

ojfc

1 person likes this.
  10. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

Best recent book on fashion is Ivy style.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I think the modern term "dandy" has connotations so far removed from what dandy actually is.

2 people like this.
  12. Mariooo

Mariooo Well-Known Member

Funny, I stumbled over this book at almost the same time Manton started the thread...

I'm not interested in reading about the profiles/biographies/reasons etc... of the portrayed guys, but the pictures seem to be very nice.. not sure if I'll be ordering it..

I've enjoyed the other mentioned book, mostly for the great pictures, so who knows..

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Spoiler alert: to normal people, you're all dandies.

2 people like this.
  14. patrickBOOTH

15. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Piggy-backing off of pB, I don't think "normal people" these days know what a dandy is. And if someone calls you a "dandy," they're likely not saying what we're talking about here.

16. patrickBOOTH

I'm afraid to say it, but if a "normal" person today calls me a dandy I have good reason to throw the entire outfit in the garbage.

2 people like this.
  17. bourbonbasted

Again, going out on a limb, if someone calls you a "dandy," safe to say they are calling you ghey.

3 people like this.
  18. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

They just mean you're someone who's preoccupied with dressing up. And if you correct them on the term, you're either a historian or a dandy.

19. bourbonbasted

I don't know the definition of dandy is even that mainstream. I feel like if I asked a person on the street, they'd view dandy with more effeminate emphasis than an emphasis on appearance. Though I may be going too-middle-Middle America.

20. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Well-Known Member

I picked up the book at the recent NYC launch event and got it signed by the authors and a few of the subjects - Christian Chensvold, Dandy Wellington, Domenico Spano, and a few others. Missed out on Nick Sullivan and Nick Wooster.

The featured dandies are a mixed bag. Some I would characterize as costumey and just plain strange, but all in good fun and to each his own. In addition to the gentlemen mentioned above, I enjoyed the photos of the Churchwell Brothers, Ed Hayes, Gay Talese, Bruce Boyer, and a few others.

I was caught in one of the pics that appeared on one of the various blogs - it may have been Rose's actually. I went with my favorite RLPL 3-piece with peaked lapels (some might call that costumey), with a 3-fold from Passaggio Cravatte and the Drake's unicorn PS in red and blue.