I Am Dandy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Has anyone seen this? It's a big full color picutre book of modern "dandies." At least one guy is, or was, a WAYWRN regular (bairns, the black guy in London, apologize if misspelled). There may be other forum people in it.

Bruce Boyer, James Sherwood, Hamish Bowles , Christian Chensvold and Nick Foulkes represent the "writers." There are some other semi-famous dressers, including Ed Hayes and the Churchwell brothers.

And then there are quite a few who look just plain bizarre. As in, so bizarre they would make LabelKing blink. (He should have been in it, if you ask me.) I don't expect I will buy it but it was interesting to look at.

Also, there is a new(ish) book called "Sharp Suits" that was, IMO, better and more informative, though a completely different concept to be sure. It quotes me three times. Yay! No attempt to puzzle out the numerology. Sigh.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

2. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

Eric Musgrave's Sharp Suits is from 2009 and has some readable text but is mostly worth it for the interesting collection of pictures. It is well worth whatever it sells at on discount from Amazon.

I'm less enthused by this whole modern dandy thing. I'm not sure the internet has been a positive influence on it.

3. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

How does one differentiate between the modern dandies and I-Gents?

4. wmb

wmb Senior member

You are a dandy.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Barims, though I enjoy the implication, re: this dandy picture book, that yer poor engines canna take much more.

6. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor

One is vain, the other happens to have too much spare time posing in front of a camera.

7. bertie

bertie Senior member

Or put another way - one takes pleasure from eliciting a response from a broad audience using clothing while the other seeks the approval of fellow enthusiasts alone using both clothing and a self-professed expertise.

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

The book is drawn from Rose Callahan's site, Dandy Portraits, dandyportraits.blogspot.com, of which some of us have been big fans for years. There's a commitment to an individual look in dandyism, which is far more than just folowing a set of guidelines. It's not for everyone and it makes no attempt to 'fit in'. But it still entails a deep knowledge, if not a mastery, of the rules in order to go beyond them.

To the OP, it wouldn't have been that hard to check Barims's handle and get it right; you come across as a little disrespectful and dismissive here, which I am sure was not intentional.

And I would say , yes, LabelKing certainly fits the bill. I think Butler and TTO were both pictured at some of the launch parties too.

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

ojfc

10. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Best recent book on fashion is Ivy style.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the modern term "dandy" has connotations so far removed from what dandy actually is.

12. Mariooo

Mariooo Senior member

Funny, I stumbled over this book at almost the same time Manton started the thread...

I'm not interested in reading about the profiles/biographies/reasons etc... of the portrayed guys, but the pictures seem to be very nice.. not sure if I'll be ordering it..

I've enjoyed the other mentioned book, mostly for the great pictures, so who knows..

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Spoiler alert: to normal people, you're all dandies.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Piggy-backing off of pB, I don't think "normal people" these days know what a dandy is. And if someone calls you a "dandy," they're likely not saying what we're talking about here.