• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am broke

madison avenue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
"Live within your means" is a concept that people can't seem to grasp these days.

you said it, but what is one to do when the wants outweigh the means?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by madison avenue
you said it, but what is one to do when the wants outweigh the means?

Make more money.
smile.gif

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend with over $100K in debt and he doesn't even own a house. He thinks there is nothing wrong with having a new Lotus, an M5, 2 Ducati's, an ATV, shops only at NM and takes trips whenever/where ever while earning only 65K a year.

As for my job, it's not as bad as a sweatshop, he's just a flake and on the road a lot. He needs to worry less about what TV show he's going to be on, and remember to pay his staff.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
I have a friend with over $100K in debt and he doesn't even own a house. He thinks there is nothing wrong with having a new Lotus, an M5, 2 Ducati's, an ATV, shops only at NM and takes trips whenever/where ever while earning only 65K a year.

As for my job, it's not as bad as a sweatshop, he's just a flake and on the road a lot. He needs to worry less about what TV show he's going to be on, and remember to pay his staff.

Jesus.... I understand credit card companies will give ANYONE credit b/c it will eventually catch up with them.... but how did this kid get 100K worth of credit? That's insane.

He doesn't have a house now and I doubt the kid ever will. Hope he likes trailer parks.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Jesus.... I understand credit card companies will give ANYONE credit b/c it will eventually catch up with them.... but how did this kid get 100K worth of credit? That's insane.

The banks actually love customers like him, they end up making so much money, it should be a crime. We are talking about interest on top of interest, on top of interest....and with rising prices he will be even more screwed.

Jon.

madison avenue

Reaction score

**** how did he manage to get all of that credit making 65k a year and without owning a house. Tell me more so I can do the same hehe

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** how did he manage to get all of that credit making 65k a year and without owning a house. Tell me more so I can do the same hehe

I'm wondering the same thing. I've paid off a car and have never been late on a credit card payment yet I can't even get a credit limit increase on a $1,000 card.
confused.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
His first credit card was probably a co-signed one with his parents.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I applied for a student visa, checking off 500 dollar max, and stated i had no income. Then i get my visa and see it is a 5,000 dollar limit. strange.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
...I think we may be able to work out some sort of "arrangement" my young friend...
If you were a beautiful 20 year old girl with nice boobs I`d be willing to talk...

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How on earth can you even make the payments on that on 65K a year? He's got to be paying 25%+ interest on some of those things. Three Words: Debtors Anonymous. Yesterday.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

This could be a writer's embellishment. I mean, an M5 is about 80k. Unless parents are helping, there is the end of what the kid can finance. I have never heard of someone being financed with unsecured credit for 180% of their income.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This could be a writer's embellishment. I mean, an M5 is about 80k. Unless parents are helping, there is the end of what the kid can finance. I have never heard of someone being financed with unsecured credit for 180% of their income.

I have a credit card for $500.

Given my salary of $300/yr (practically) I'm pretty close.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads