• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am baffled by my tailoring experience.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had sleeves shortened on an odd jacket and a tailor removed all fake buttonholes or stitching that identifies their location then tapered the sleeve and repositioned all the buttons. When I told him that he is wrong on doing this to my jacket he showed me 10 different suit jackets with buttons attached to the sleeves without any signs of buttonholes fake or real around them.
I guess I never paid attention to others, but I don't own a single jacket where it would not have buttonholes stitched under each sleeve button (some working, some not).

What is the consensus regarding this new (to me ) issue?

I personally think it is a hideous look when the buttons just sit on the sleeve without any purpose or at least a hint of purpose in a form of button holes.

Did my tailor do acceptable job to my jacket or was he out of line?
What about all those Zegna and Brooks Brothers that he has showed me with 3-4 buttons just sitting on the sleeve, looking useless and a little out of place?

theoldadage

Reaction score
If it bothers you, take it back

If it doesnt, don't worry about it.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
id switch tailors if this guy won't come around to your point of view

(which, btw, is very reasonable)

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Had sleeves shortened on an odd jacket and a tailor removed all fake buttonholes or stitching that identifies their location then tapered the sleeve and repositioned all the buttons. When I told him that he is wrong on doing this to my jacket he showed me 10 different suit jackets with buttons attached to the sleeves without any signs of buttonholes fake or real around them.
I guess I never paid attention to others, but I don't own a single jacket where it would not have buttonholes stitched under each sleeve button (some working, some not).

What is the consensus regarding this new (to me ) issue?

I personally think it is a hideous look when the buttons just sit on the sleeve without any purpose or at least a hint of purpose in a form of button holes.

Did my tailor do acceptable job to my jacket or was he out of line?
What about all those Zegna and Brooks Brothers that he has showed me with 3-4 buttons just sitting on the sleeve, looking useless and a little out of place?

YOU are wrong and he is right.

If it bother you so much than don't use him as a tailor.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much were the sleeves shortened? If he had to move the buttons significantly, I doubt he would sew faux buttonholes unless you requested it.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for replies. I learned something new. I never knew that teh buttons can be just sewn to the sleeve without button holes under them.
Still think it is strange and does not look right. But glad my tailor is right, as I prefer my tailor to be right about tailoring.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the tailor I was recommended, by a few people including a high end menswear shop here, as the best in the city, does not put on faux stitching. I think you may as well just put it on there...

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to remove fake buttonholes w/o leaving a mark? My tailor does (and I no longer ask him to remove them), but I've wondered if this is just a sign of his indifference.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a jacket shortend and tapered. It was a very expensive jacket, like 2.5K, doesn't matter how much though, no jacket is immune from the basic laws of how to alter.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
YOU are wrong and he is right.

Not sure about that, but I guess it really depends on what instructions the OP gave him. If it was not discussed at all and the OP's jacket had buttonholes, I'd be rather suprised if the tailor removed them without discussing it with the OP beforehand.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
He was correct in removing the stitching. Its somewhat of a pain **********, so its nice that he went to effort, so you don't have a faux buttonhole just hanging out all out of place and whatnot.
But why not restitch a faux hole for the buttons? I agree with the OP in that I don't like buttons on the sleeve without faux stitching or working buttons. If the stitching isn't going to be there, then why bother with putting a button there? If I were the OP, I'd ask the tailor to sew faux stitching for each button.

jcriswel

Reaction score
This is something one should not worry about. In almost all cases, a RTW jacket with faux button holes will not match the length of one's arm. I am completely baffled as to why the RTW manufacturers bother with these faux button holes. Changing the length of the sleeves is a 100% certainty. Sewing the thread back onto the sleeve to re-make the faux button hole is equally pointless. If one wanted to go to that much trouble, have the real button holes cut.

Further, allowing the button to sit on the sleeve without either a faux or real button hole is perfectly acceptable. It's been done for years. Your tailor is right. This allows one or the next owner of the jacket to adjust the length of the sleeve.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My tailor always asks me if I want working buttonholes or faux buttonholes if I am altering the sleeve length. Sometimes I choose to have the faux stitch added back just because I prefer the look to having no stitching. It's about a 1/3 of the price of doing the full button holes. I do it on some of my more casual stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads