• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am angry a lot. So I have been told

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I had a pretty ****** day starting with my big boss calling and yelling at me for something that may or may not have been warranted. Then, I called my other boss to tell him that the big boss called and then he started in on me (in a very ' I am looking out for you' kind of way, which I appreciated). Then last night, I started talking to my mom on the way home (from the bar, but thats ok), and got into a very similar 90 minute conversation with a lot of the same things.

Now I would genreally characterize myself as a nice guy, and generally a happy person (as much as I can be in this day and age), but I know I have a bit of a short fuse. I do get angry about stuff I shouldnt, I tend to take things personally (I have kind of a thin skin), I can be glib and sarcastic, and I would also throw paranoid about certain things.

The kind of things that set me off are things like, people being shady, people being selfish, people being contradictory (thats a big one for me a work.) I tend to assume people are trying to **** me, and act accordingly.

I am also very paranoid about work. I think at my first big kids job, they really did a number on us, telling us that if we dont get promoted between 12-18 months we will probably get fired, and that instead of having one boss (you work with several 'more senior' level people) multiple people weight in on you. I always think i am one mess up away from getting fired. Perhaps those things are cause and effect of each other (paranoid because I am angry, angry because I am paranoid). Because of this, I tend to be agressive, (though gerenally not cocky or dismissive - at least not on purpose).

Obviously getting this from the better part of 3 people yesterday sucked, but do any of you have similar tales, and how do you 'make yourself less angry'

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not going to tell you how I got to be less angry, but I will tell you that when I did get less angry it was much better for my health and my happiness.

Originally Posted by jgold47
So I had a pretty ****** day starting with my big boss calling and yelling at me for something that may or may not have been warranted. Then, I called my other boss to tell him that the big boss called and then he started in on me (in a very ' I am looking out for you' kind of way, which I appreciated). Then last night, I started talking to my mom on the way home (from the bar, but thats ok), and got into a very similar 90 minute conversation with a lot of the same things.

Now I would genreally characterize myself as a nice guy, and generally a happy person (as much as I can be in this day and age), but I know I have a bit of a short fuse. I do get angry about stuff I shouldnt, I tend to take things personally (I have kind of a thin skin), I can be glib and sarcastic, and I would also throw paranoid about certain things.

The kind of things that set me off are things like, people being shady, people being selfish, people being contradictory (thats a big one for me a work.) I tend to assume people are trying to **** me, and act accordingly.

I am also very paranoid about work. I think at my first big kids job, they really did a number on us, telling us that if we dont get promoted between 12-18 months we will probably get fired, and that instead of having one boss (you work with several 'more senior' level people) multiple people weight in on you. I always think i am one mess up away from getting fired. Perhaps those things are cause and effect of each other (paranoid because I am angry, angry because I am paranoid). Because of this, I tend to be agressive, (though gerenally not cocky or dismissive - at least not on purpose).

Obviously getting this from the better part of 3 people yesterday sucked, but do any of you have similar tales, and how do you 'make yourself less angry'

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have more sex, smoke more weed, drink more...

Burzum

Reaction score
Sounds familiar....

Honestly - don't take any of it personally it's just work. Like Tyler said you are not your job you are not your bank account.

Reality is if you continue to get agro at work you raise your blood pressure - you make that physiological behaviour a habit you endanger your health long term. No job or annoying co-worker is worth it. You also risk a brain snap where you just loose it...not the way to go!

You have to be ZEN which really isn't my style...
wink.gif

Work is just a paycheck though and not worth getting heart disease or an ulcer over.

If anything now I'm too laid back at work while everyone stresses. I never used to be that way at all..lol

Also some people you get forced to interact with at work are just assholes. If they are an asshole to you.; it's not personal they treat everyone that way, because thats who they are. Took me too damn long to learn that.

Don't worry people who act that way set themselves up for heart attacks, ulcers etc. I saw it happen to some wanker at work - I spent half the day outisde laughing ****** off when it happened.

Play the long game!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theincumbent
Now I'm dying to know. Unless its some Pat Bateman-like activities.

oh, no, quite the opposite - it just wasn't anything revelutionary or interesting: spend more time with my wife and kids, try a little light meditation, excersize more (espectially things that involved hitting stuff and hard physical activities), consiously control my outward expressions of anger, put my work in perspective, delegate work more.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
oh, no, quite the opposite - it just wasn't anything revelutionary or interesting: spend more time with my wife and kids, try a little light meditation, excersize more (espectially things that involved hitting stuff and hard physical activities), consiously control my outward expressions of anger, put my work in perspective, delegate work more.
I was going to suggest self-medication, shooting guns, and petty crime. Upon reflection, your ideas are slightly more workable, if prosaic.

millionaire75

Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from regarding work. It has such a big effect on our lives. Perhaps you should re-assess your job?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I was going to suggest self-medication, shooting guns, and petty crime. Upon reflection, your ideas are slightly more workable, if prosaic.

but you'rs sound so much more fun!!

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yoga and meditation. Explore Zen Buddhism if you are so inclined. Contemplative Eastern religions can have a calming effect.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's some advice: "alot" is not a word.
teacha.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Here's some advice: "alot" is not a word.
teacha.gif

jesus, you correct somebody with anger managment issues, from detroit's grammer? you have big brass balls.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads