• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am about to go buy a BB Suit - help me

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
I am missing two staple suits for my closet, a navy and a grey two button suit. Unfortunately I do need a conservative go to suit for days that I'm meeting with clients and am having trouble finding something middle of the road to fill this void. I have my shoes, my odd jackets and trousers to fill my fun outfits but I find myself wishing I had a good grey or navy "go to" suit.

What I'm looking for is something that is not too slim, nor too large. My body style is very slim (5'8", 145) so I would like to find something in a flat front, somewhat fitted shape. I don't want something uber trendy as I generally go for a somewhat timeless look. I've been watching the B&S forum for a while but am getting to the point where I need something fairly soon. I have looked at numerous retailers, aside from some Burberry suits at Saks for $420 I haven't seen anything that I've taken a liking to. Any suggestions?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Seems like the BB Fitzgerald would fit your needs.

Or are you saying that you don't really want a BB suit?

poelow

Reaction score
BB... you mean Brooks Brothers? Because of your slim and average/medium-small stature, you should try on the Fitzgerald or Regent fit. They go on sale in July or so for $598.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
but be aware that during sales it may take some time for them to locate a popular suit like that in your size, if they can at all.

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Seems like the BB Fitzgerald would fit your needs.

Or are you saying that you don't really want a BB suit?

I guess I'm not really saying that I don't want a BB suit, I'm just wondering if there are any other options out there that I should be considering. I've heard good things about the Fitgerald and that's most likely the cut I would go with but I'm curious if there are other suits out there that might be a better option for me.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like BB Fitz or Regent would be good on you, but look at RL Black Label as well for slim cut, but not overly trendy suits. The price point is higher, but they are of better quality and can often be found on sale.

Other than that, I would say go to a well stocked men's store if there is one in your area and try on a bunch of different styles. If you find a sales associate you can trust (not always easy) they can be a good source of information on the make and cut of various options, or keep notes on what you like and ask more questions here. It is still a buyers market, so most stores should be willing to deal or go out of their way to find your size from other locations if they don't have it in stock.

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
There are some Burberry suits on sale at Off 5th here for about $440 that look nice, I like the fit and they aren't too overly trendy. I seem to hear mixed reviews about some of the other brand names (Prada, Hugo Boss, Armani) does Burberry fall in this category? I have some slacks from them that I really enjoy and like the fit and material of.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They might not go small enough for you. What is your chest circumference?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads