• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am a newb at buying hoodies. Advice appreciated.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having just discovered SF *and* having just missed out on the wave of sales that seem to pop up daily(no savings + no strategy made before hand!) I've decided to simply rock my Tshirts and jeans for the rest of the summer, and focus on colder weather wardrobe-rehab.

I've looked through the forum hoodie faves, but am unsure if I'm all too comfortable spending $200 on indistinguishably plain hoodies yet. What I'm looking for are "investment" hoodies, meaning that I'll be wearing them for the next 5 years comfortably, but that show maybe some character. No character is better than too much character, though. Basically, no threadless/joke hoodies, and on the opposite end, no "bleeding angels enshrouded with thorns walking through gardens of human hands" gothic print hoodies. Designs are fine, be it an interesting cut, shape, pattern, or print, so long as they're subtle. I saw a few cool ones just looking around some of the affiliate and forum favorite sites, but that leads me to the final and most important part of this almost rambling post:

Please point me towards some brands I can explore, and advise me as to when the best time to stock up on hoodies is(markdowns and sales-wise). I can't pay retail for what I'll probably end up liking, although anything significantly discounted would easily get me to give in ;0

progressiveminded

Reaction score
Look into Michael J. Krell's stuff. There's a sticky at the top of this forum with information about his clothing. Most members here have found it to be of superior quality for very affordable prices.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I'm not sure what my budget is yet - I'll look into all brand recommendations. Cost is not so much an issue as long as I'll never feel silly spending x amount of money for the product. I've spent $200 on basketball shoes years back(regrettably), and it feels bad when you do something you regret later on. Hence, (good) investment hoodies. :p

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Michael J Krell's Speckled hoodie is similar looking to the W&H Tiger Fleece hoodie which i think looks fantastic if worn right. The Red/black and blue/black ones are really really cool looking. Definitely have character. The pinstriped ones were really great too. Although, it's almost impossible to find them. What size are you? I think there is a red tiger fleece on sufu in their market. These were also talked about recently on the forum: http://www.tobi.com/Product/2969-Mik...-Hudson-Fleece http://www.tobi.com/Product/2972-Mik...ark-Man-Fleece The epaulettes on the first one makes it pretty unique and i like it. If you want a cheap one, AA has polka dot and striped hoodies. Another cheaper option is Michael J Krell's Assymetrical hoodie. I have it in burgandy and it fits and looks fantastic. It's not thick or anything, but good for layering and is unique but very very wearable. I think he posted a link in the last page of that thread with different people wearing his clothes to see what it looks like on.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I applaud you for coming clean and asking for advice. These guys know what they're talking about, I have a krell hoodie and unholy matrimony, neither with graphics.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on how the hoodie is made, I'm a large/xl (going for slight antifit and layering potential.) I'll have to say most of the surface to air stuff I've seen int he past 15 minutes doesn't really do it for me, although the MJkrell stuff looks great with a very attractive pricepoint. I'm not terribly against prints, I saw a decent rogues gallery hoodie although did not like how the pockets were shaped, et cetera.

As for asking for advice, were I totally new to forum concepts I'd have probably made a billion threads by now! thankfully I can utilize the search function, so I've decided on my denim choices through literally hours of research + trying on. All the help is appreciated, and I'm still very open to suggestions for some brands to scavenge for in the sales racks :x

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
Depending on how the hoodie is made, I'm a large/xl (going for slight antifit and layering potential.) I'll have to say most of the surface to air stuff I've seen int he past 15 minutes doesn't really do it for me, although the MJkrell stuff looks great with a very attractive pricepoint. I'm not terribly against prints, I saw a decent rogues gallery hoodie although did not like how the pockets were shaped, et cetera.

As for asking for advice, were I totally new to forum concepts I'd have probably made a billion threads by now! thankfully I can utilize the search function, so I've decided on my denim choices through literally hours of research + trying on. All the help is appreciated, and I'm still very open to suggestions for some brands to scavenge for in the sales racks :x

You could always grab the Monarchy hoodie teddieriley is selling in B&S if you like the style for 50% off or whatever.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great suggestion guys
sly.gif

Souper, I just wanted to apologize for our thread being kind of all over the place. Basically everything you see on the page can be ordered. We aren't stocking the hoodies until fall or so, but we can make them for you now...

In the next day or two, I will be revamping the main page with more concise information about ordering, pricing, etc...

Regards,
Michael

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads