I am a coffee/tea drinker

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Joffrey, Nov 22, 2006.

1. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I'm 70/30 tea coffee drinker. I tend to drink basic loose leaf black Chinese tea. For coffee I like espresso and steamed milk or whipped cream.

2. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I drink coffee like a fish.

3. Kevin

Kevin Senior member

Tea is methadone for coffee drinkers. It has its place (sipping my cuppa).
    That was great.

During the week - half-dozen cups of the office swill in the morning.

Weekends - a pot of french roast after breakfast.

Served black in all instances. It tastes better, and is all business.

Tea once in awhile if I'm feeling ill.

4. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Filter cone Lavazza Red coffee in the a.m for kick start. Then espressos mid morning and mid-noon.

In colder months also interspersed with Twinings fruit teas sweetened with honey.
    Occasionally have English tea with milk if feeling strangely nostalgic. Rich Tea biscuits for dunking.

I recall hearing ex-MP Tony Benn say that he had tea every hour of the day.

5. Kevin

Kevin Senior member

In the opening chapter of the John Steinbeck novel "In Dubious Battle," a drifter named Jim makes his way to a dingy apartment. And there, Steinbeck writes, "a little tin coffee pot bubbled and steamed."

This is a pivotal moment for Jim. We know that because there's coffee, lots of it. In fact, in just about every chapter of Steinbeck's gut-punch of a novel, first published in 1936, there's coffee. You can almost smell the bitter, black stuff as you turn the pages.

It had to be coffee. Coffee's the only choice for a book about manual laborers and their fight for a living wage, because in American culture coffee is the drink of the tough-minded dreamer. It's the beverage of the dispossessed, of the poet, the lone traveler, the bruised idealist.

We've drifted away from that pitch-black signifier in recent years. Chains such as Starbucks and Caribou -- and, here in Chicago, Intelligentsia -- have watered down coffee's bare-knuckled basics with their lattes and their decaf, half-soy cappuccinos.

But some recent news from the beverage industry is cause for hope, hope that coffee may finally be getting back to its rough-and-tumble roots, back to something that even Steinbeck's callused, blue-collar bums wouldn't be embarrassed to drink.

Dunkin' Donuts, with about half the number of outlets nationwide as Starbucks, has announced a huge expansion. It's going to add 10,000 stores in the next decade and a half, not to push pastries. The focus, say company executives, is coffee.

This comes just after McDonalds and Burger King beefed up their coffee, not with fancy-pants, foam-flecked offerings, featuring caramel swirls and cinnamon sprinkles, but simply with a better cup of the old familiar. McDonalds calls theirs "Premium Roast." Burger King goes with the nickname "B.K. Joe," which ought to come with complimentary chin stubble.

Coffee means truck stops at midnight and kitchens at dawn. It means that iconic 1942 painting by Edward Hopper "Nighthawks at the Diner," with its white ceramic coffee mugs, its gray coffee urns. Hopper was a New Yorker, but "Nighthawks" seems steeped in an especially Midwestern sort of lonesomeness in large, empty spaces, in a sense of desolation held at arm's length by the promise of a free refill.

Coffee is the philosophical opposite of tea, that delicate laced-doily of a drink. Lipton just began selling a newfangled kind of teabag, a pyramid-shaped thing, that's so lovely and precious looking that you wonder if it belongs in a mug or an art museum.

But there's a fundamental difference between coffee people and tea people, a cultural divide that cuts across movies, and TV, and literature, and life. Even though tea can pack as much or more caffeine as coffee, and even though tea drinking predates coffee drinking by at least four centuries, their images belie those realities. Coffee is scraped knuckles and bum luck; tea is an extended pinkie and inherited wealth.

It's true that coffee has been muted and tamed in recent years. It's been tricked out with cute new names. For a time, it seemed to lose its beautifully bitter edge. But coffee is making a comeback, real coffee, that is.

So it's out with the lattes and in with the lunch counters, counters at which working stiffs sit, hunched over their battered mugs of Joe. Not a cafe mocha; just a cup of mud. Not Starbucks; Steinbeck.

From the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, October 18, 2006​

6. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

i only drink tea with dim sum. I drink a couple of double espressos per week, in the afternoons, just for a pick-me-up.

7. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

It's been getting chilly lately so it's been a few bags of Earl Grey a day. I almost always have an iced double espresso every night before going to bed.

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

I am working on finishing up my high grade Long Jing (green) and Shou Mei (white).

Once that's done, I'm excited to get back into black tea in time for the cold weather! Uptontea.com Orthodox processed TGFOP Darjeeling baby!

For a stout cup when I really need some caffeine, I drink Brooke Bond Red Label with a splash of milk.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I don't particuarly care for coffee.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

I love coffee, but my stomach cannot tolerate even half a cup.

Any fans of rooibos/honeybush?

11. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

a day w/o coffee is a not a good day for the people around me.

12. VMan

VMan Senior member

Definitely prefer tea to coffee.

I don't drink tea too often, but enjoy it when I do. I always get a pot of good jasmine tea when I dine at asian restaurants.

I got a sudden deeper spark of interest the other day in tea, and found myself with the motivation to pick up a few different varieties of loose herbal tea leaves as well as one of those traditional bamboo steepers or whatever they are called within the next few days.

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

Try some loose tea (although there is nothing wrong with herbal) too Versace. You won't want to go back to the bagged stuff.

At Whole Foods in the loose tea section (by the vitamins) they have a mesh tea basket that fits perfectly in the standard size coffee mug you probably have at work. It's called the "People's tea basket" or some such.

14. itskub

itskub Senior member

hi im new , here (19,m, PA).
    i have to say i love both tea and coffee. i dont drink it to make me feel energized, i think im immune to coffee because its never had any noticeable effect on my body even when i was young , i just love the taste. i have no problem drinking it straight, 20oz every afternoon.

for breakfast, earl grey, green tea, etc, 24 oz cup. wooot.

i really dont like other beverages, so i tend to stick with these.
    i havent acquired a taste for wine yet, but i promise myself i will work on that.

15. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

i have no problem drinking it straight, 20oz every afternoon.

So what's that volume-wise?