• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hypnotherapy - Has it worked for you?

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've searched the threads, so here goes...

Has anyone here has tried hypnotherapy, and found it effective for reducing and/or eliminating their unwanted habits, or for shifting attitudes? No phobias.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, depending on the nature of the condition. Good for stress reduction. I also created a trigger to lower my blood pressure, which amazes the nurses in the doctor's office. It's also surprisingly effective in creating a state of anesthesia for people who are allergic or can't take anesthetics before a medical procedure.

Habits (depending on which ones) will require repeat visits in most cases. Smoking doesn't respond very well to hypnosis, it's such a deep craving that it's hard to turn off the switch.

Some hypnotherapists will use regression therapy to 'move' you back to the point in time that you first experienced the bad habit, reframing the event in order to take the energy out of the behavior. This works in some cases, but it's hit and miss.

Traditional hypnotherapy has been superseded somewhat by Ericksonian hypnosis based NLP, although one doesn't necessarily work better than the other. NLP uses a technique called "Swish Patterns" to replace one behavior for another.

Big T

Reaction score
I tried it for stress reduction for my blood pressure and had no positive results to speak of.

I do think it was more the hypnotherapist I went to, more than the therapy that failed me, and I am considering trying it again, but with a gentleman who is also a clinical pychologist. The first therapist I went to, was more concerned in each of the 4 visits I had, to be paid upfront, each time. she also seemed to concerned with jungle music and putting a sign outside her office door, stating "therapy in session". At the least, these weekly gyrations were distracting to me. After the 3rd week, she started insisting that I schedule sessions for the next several months, and I came to the conclusion I was being fleeced. As I said, I am considering trying it again, though.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big T
I tried it for stress reduction for my blood pressure and had no positive results to speak of. I do think it was more the hypnotherapist I went to, more than the therapy that failed me, and I am considering trying it again, but with a gentleman who is also a clinical pychologist. The first therapist I went to, was more concerned in each of the 4 visits I had, to be paid upfront, each time. she also seemed to concerned with jungle music and putting a sign outside her office door, stating "therapy in session". At the least, these weekly gyrations were distracting to me. After the 3rd week, she started insisting that I schedule sessions for the next several months, and I came to the conclusion I was being fleeced. As I said, I am considering trying it again, though.
Wrong person for sure. If your primary goal is to lower your blood pressure, this can be accomplished by hypnosis tapes.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cluck! Cluck! Cluck! Cluck!

Big T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Wrong person for sure. If your primary goal is to lower your blood pressure, this can be accomplished by hypnosis tapes.

Any suggestions for tapes?

Thanks,

T.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I keep wanting to tell you all about my hypnotherapy but I find I have a strange compulsion that forbids me doing so.

Pacman77

Reaction score
I have tried it twice and neither times could they hypnotise me even though i wanted it,they said some people just near impossible to hypnotise,may try again in the future.

hashd

Reaction score
Actually learned about this in psychology. It only works if you WANT it to work and really want to get rid of that bad habit. If not it'll fail.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hashd
Actually learned about this in psychology. It only works if you WANT it to work and really want to get rid of that bad habit. If not it'll fail.

Just like psychotherapy. You really have to want to change

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quackery, don't buy into it.

I'm a psychologist btw.

MrR

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower

Or you could try this:

In 2004, a research team at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, gathered people taking medication for high blood pressure for a study on the effects of isometric hand grip training using a device called Zona Plus. One of the two groups exercised with both arms while the other group used just one arm. All were taking anti-hypertensive medications (a wide variety) before and throughout the study. After eight weeks of thrice-weekly isometric hand exercises (four sets of two-minute isometric contractions), the group exercising with both arms decreased their systolic (the upper number) blood pressure by an average of 15 mmHg. The diastolic pressure dropped about 3 mmHg -- a lesser amount, but this figure is also less relevant. In a more recent study, researchers from the same university found that patients in their 60s, all with normal blood pressure, had significantly reduced resting blood pressure after completing eight weeks of isometric hand grip training, using inexpensive spring handgrip devices.
Source: http://www.bottomlinesecrets.com/art...ticle_id=47009

Someone on another forum took his BP from 140/100 to 118/84 using that technique.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
073b20b6-08a6-4bdb-b681-708d194a54d4.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know people who used it for relaxation successfully. However, it is like many skills, you need to keep at it for it to work.

I don't know of anyone who has used it successfully long-term for a phobia like flying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads