1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hypnotherapy - Has it worked for you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Geoff Gander, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Senior member

Hi all,

I've searched the threads, so here goes...

Has anyone here has tried hypnotherapy, and found it effective for reducing and/or eliminating their unwanted habits, or for shifting attitudes? No phobias.

2. willpower

willpower Senior member

Yes, depending on the nature of the condition. Good for stress reduction. I also created a trigger to lower my blood pressure, which amazes the nurses in the doctor's office. It's also surprisingly effective in creating a state of anesthesia for people who are allergic or can't take anesthetics before a medical procedure.

Habits (depending on which ones) will require repeat visits in most cases. Smoking doesn't respond very well to hypnosis, it's such a deep craving that it's hard to turn off the switch.

Some hypnotherapists will use regression therapy to 'move' you back to the point in time that you first experienced the bad habit, reframing the event in order to take the energy out of the behavior. This works in some cases, but it's hit and miss.

Traditional hypnotherapy has been superseded somewhat by Ericksonian hypnosis based NLP, although one doesn't necessarily work better than the other. NLP uses a technique called "Swish Patterns" to replace one behavior for another.

3. Big T

Big T Senior member

I tried it for stress reduction for my blood pressure and had no positive results to speak of.

I do think it was more the hypnotherapist I went to, more than the therapy that failed me, and I am considering trying it again, but with a gentleman who is also a clinical pychologist. The first therapist I went to, was more concerned in each of the 4 visits I had, to be paid upfront, each time. she also seemed to concerned with jungle music and putting a sign outside her office door, stating "therapy in session". At the least, these weekly gyrations were distracting to me. After the 3rd week, she started insisting that I schedule sessions for the next several months, and I came to the conclusion I was being fleeced. As I said, I am considering trying it again, though.

4. willpower

willpower Senior member

I tried it for stress reduction for my blood pressure and had no positive results to speak of. I do think it was more the hypnotherapist I went to, more than the therapy that failed me, and I am considering trying it again, but with a gentleman who is also a clinical pychologist. The first therapist I went to, was more concerned in each of the 4 visits I had, to be paid upfront, each time. she also seemed to concerned with jungle music and putting a sign outside her office door, stating "therapy in session". At the least, these weekly gyrations were distracting to me. After the 3rd week, she started insisting that I schedule sessions for the next several months, and I came to the conclusion I was being fleeced. As I said, I am considering trying it again, though.
    Wrong person for sure. If your primary goal is to lower your blood pressure, this can be accomplished by hypnosis tapes.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Cluck! Cluck! Cluck! Cluck!

6. Big T

Big T Senior member

Wrong person for sure. If your primary goal is to lower your blood pressure, this can be accomplished by hypnosis tapes.

Any suggestions for tapes?

Thanks,

T.

7. willpower

willpower Senior member

Any suggestions for tapes? Thanks, T.
    The best way is if you recorded a script using your own voice, although you'll have to learn about hypnotic induction, vocal inflections, etc. This is pretty good http://www.hypnoshop.com/hypnosis-cd...-pressure.html You'll want to listen to it on a regular basis.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I keep wanting to tell you all about my hypnotherapy but I find I have a strange compulsion that forbids me doing so.

9. Pacman77

Pacman77 New Member

I have tried it twice and neither times could they hypnotise me even though i wanted it,they said some people just near impossible to hypnotise,may try again in the future.

10. hashd

hashd New Member

Actually learned about this in psychology. It only works if you WANT it to work and really want to get rid of that bad habit. If not it'll fail.

11. willpower

willpower Senior member

Actually learned about this in psychology. It only works if you WANT it to work and really want to get rid of that bad habit. If not it'll fail.

Just like psychotherapy. You really have to want to change

12. dl20

dl20 Senior member

Quackery, don't buy into it.

I'm a psychologist btw.

MrR

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Or you could try this:

Source: http://www.bottomlinesecrets.com/art...ticle_id=47009

Someone on another forum took his BP from 140/100 to 118/84 using that technique.

14. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

15. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know people who used it for relaxation successfully. However, it is like many skills, you need to keep at it for it to work.

I don't know of anyone who has used it successfully long-term for a phobia like flying.