Hype for Japanese Denim?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by braidkid, Jul 30, 2006.

1. braidkid

braidkid Senior member

Hello,
    I'm fairly new to the raw selvedge denim thing. Until recently I've been a sucker for 7, rock&republic, citizen, etc....I just bought my first pair of earnest sewn fulton's in the line dry and can't wait to wear them everyday for my own distinct wear.

My questions is, what is all the hype behind Japanese denim? Japan would be the last place I would think of being ahead in the fashion industry. Are earnest sewn's anywhere close to Japanese denim quality?

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

Japan would be the last place I would think of being ahead in the fashion industry.

You're gonna get flamed for making that statement. So I'll save you the pain now and just say that you're flat wrong. The reason why Japanese jeans are often more expensive is because many of the denimheads seek authenticity. They try to faithfully reproduce old school American denim with better denim and craftsmanship. Plus, importation costs push up prices even further. Is there hype? Probably a little. But to say that Japanese jeans do not deserve high marks is just flat out ignorant.

3. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

Japan would be the last place I would think of being ahead in the fashion industry.

i guess you don't get out much.

4. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

You're gonna get flamed for making that statement. So I'll save you the pain now and just say that you're flat wrong. The reason why Japanese jeans are often more expensive is because many of the denimheads seek authenticity. They try to faithfully reproduce old school American denim with better denim and craftsmanship. Plus, importation costs push up prices even further. Is there hype? Probably a little. But to say that Japanese jeans do not deserve high marks is just flat out ignorant.

thats such a superfuture response...

5. DNW

DNW Senior member

thats such a superfuture response...

Ya recognize? [​IMG]

6. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

Behind is the new ahead. [​IMG]

7. cchen

cchen Senior member

Until recently I've been a sucker for 7, rock&republic, citizen, etc....

'Nuff said.

8. surrender

surrender Senior member

Hello,
    I'm fairly new to the raw selvedge denim thing. Until recently I've been a sucker for 7, rock&republic, citizen, etc....I just bought my first pair of earnest sewn fulton's in the line dry and can't wait to wear them everyday for my own distinct wear.

My questions is, what is all the hype behind Japanese denim? Japan would be the last place I would think of being ahead in the fashion industry. Are earnest sewn's anywhere close to Japanese denim quality?

Check the left pocket on your Sewns. They're made in the US, but with denim from Osaka, Japan [​IMG]

I got a pair myself a few days ago (on sale at Barney's Co-op) and I'm madly in love with them

9. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

Behind is the new ahead. [​IMG]
    hahaha. i hate to say this but run a search if you are actually interested in knowing the answer to your question - there are plenty of threads talking about japanese denim and you can see what the "hype" is about yourself. now, please let this thread die.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yeah, no more flaming the new guy. Let this die unless you guys are actually going to write constructive posts.

In a nutshell, Japan is often far ahead of the rest of the world fashionwise because the market will sustain it (many companies start brands only for the Japanese market, then expand from there), and many Japanese are willing to pay bundles of money, so designers are less constrained by cost considerations. In general, the best denim manufacturers and laundries in the world are based in Italy and Japan, not to say that quality stuff isn't also avalaible from other sources.

11. braidkid

braidkid Senior member

Thank you LA Guy for the constructive comments. For the record, I never said that japanese denim does not deserve high marks, just that I was surprised it was so well regarded. Thank you for understanding I'm a newbie to the raw selvedge denim craze. I would love to get a pair of PBJ 005s...

Again, thanks for the few kind responses.

12. Chip

Chip Senior member

haha.... sorry had to laugh.

13. drake

drake Senior member

The current obsession with Japanese denim reminds me of the obsession with Nudie a few years ago.

14. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

The current obsession with Japanese denim reminds me of the obsession with Nudie a few years ago.

A few years ago?! Try 12 months.

15. Metal Circus

Metal Circus Senior member

Hey ALEXBIGMAN, remember why SF chased you away? Fashioncore wasn't the only reason.