• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hydroxycut

Larry

Reaction score
hi all. i'm curious as to the effects of thermogenics like hydroxycut. i'm full aware of the ephedrine presence in the supplement. i haven't really considered taking weight loss supplements before (my previous experiences were with creatine and whey protein only), but i am tempted to now. however, i have concerns with the deaths linked to ephedra, and its various side effects. from what i've heard so far, it will increase blood pressure and heart rate. how exactly does a thermogenic work? will this, or any other side effects i'm not aware of pose a risk to me? i'm actually fairly healthy thanks to my taking up running in the last year and a half (i can run 7.5 miles at a time, do a mile in about 6:30 last i checked a few months ago, and last week did a 2:32 800m in a race), but still have a substantial amount of fat i'd like to lose. my blood pressure is normal (i don't have the exact specifics), and my resting heart rate is about 60 beats per minute, give or take a beat or two. i'm almost 18 years old, but i'm not concerned about it messing up growth because i feel that i'm done, having grown only 2-3 inches in the last 4-5 years (i'm 5'10"), and weigh 162 pounds. a year and a half ago i weighed 202, and dropped 30 in about the first 6 months. however, weight loss has been hard to come back as of late, fluctuating up and down 10 pounds or so in the 6 months following that. i'm currently down 10 pounds since january, when i started a regimen. since i'm currently in track season though, i can't concentrate on the mileage (which will obviously help me burn calories), but rather must concentrate on speed through interval training. also, are there any thermogenics that don't contain ephedra? if so, what side effects do they have? thanks for your time in reading that long, confusing blurb.
smile.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice is to not take Hydroxycut or any other "fat burner."  5'10" and 162 lbs. is not overweight, and based upon my experience, fat burners do not work that well on the margins (i.e., when you're trying to lose that last bit of fat covering your abs).  They just made me jittery and sweat profusely.

Simply put, ephedra-based thermogenics work by raising your metabolism -- their pharamacological makeup is very similar to speed.  While this sounds pretty scary, in my opinion, they are generally safe when taken correctly.  Most of the deaths from ephedra have resulted from individuals taking more than the recommended dosage or not drinking enough water.  If you decide to use such a fat burner, you must follow these steps:

1. Take half the recommended dosage for at least a week to gauge your tolerance and never exceed the recommended dosage.

2. Don't consume any caffeine products (coffee, colas, etc.).

3. Drink A LOT of water.

Both Hydroxycut and Xenadrine (and several other similar products) now come in ephedra-free versions, anticipating ephedra's likely ban by several professional sports in the near future.  You may want to look into these as well.  I have no experience with those fat burners, but I doubt that they are as effective as the ephedra-based versions.

Renwick

Reaction score
Non stimulant fat burners include:
1) Alpha Lipoic Acid
2) L- carnitine (or acetyl-l-carnitine)
3) Chromium
They all work by increasing fat transport to the cell mitochondria. All fo them are considered "safe". Alpha Lipoic Acid is alsoa strong antioxidant and liver detoxifier.

Some other substances such as chitosan bind to fat in the stomach so it does not get digested, but they tend to causes stomach upset.

F4iryder14

Reaction score
Simply put, ephedra-based thermogenics work by raising your metabolism -- their pharamacological makeup is very similar to speed.  While this sounds pretty scary, in my opinion, they are generally safe when taken correctly.  
You are pretty close on this one, but thermogenics aren't all about metabolism in terms of how they work. The way thermogenics are effective can be found in their name.  The prefix "thermo" basically means heat, and that is how they work.  When you take them, ephedra specifically at it is a powerful stimulant, they raise your internal body temperature, heart rate, etc. so that when you engage in vigorous exercise then your body will be in more of a fat burning state than if you had not taken them due to elevated/sped up body processes.  I am trying to gain weight so I cannot comment on their efficacy as I have never used them.  I will however give you an analogy that one of my friends told me which might help you make your decision.  When you take any powerful stimulant, such as ephedra, it raises your heart rate and makes it work harder.  In that there is no dispute.  So, when you reach 40, your heart will feel like it is 60.  Obviously it depends on your usage, but it made a whole lot of sense to me when I heard it.  Its like supercharging a Mustang.  Yeah it will go fast as hell, but it will also shave many years off the life of the engine.  You have to determine if it's worth it.

Kevin

Larry

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, guys. much appreciated. from what i've heard, i don't think i want to get any now...most concerned about long-term effects. i may have 10-15 pounds to lose, but its not worth losing a few years of life over just so i can lose the weight a couple months faster. i was at the hospital yesterday (hurt my arm) and they got my heart rate at 55 bpm while doing my blood pressure, which is pretty healthy. i think i can lose the weight without the ephedra anyhow, i'll just be patient like i originally was. side note: i clocked a 1500m race at 5:23. yay me.
biggrin.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Wow- that's a great time. I might be able to do 800 meters in 5:23...

CameronD

Reaction score
Another way you can loose that last bit of fat is to take ice baths for about 20mins once a week. Ray Cronise did a lot of work with this method.

NickFR

Reaction score
Another way you can loose that last bit of fat is to take ice baths for about 20mins once a week. Ray Cronise did a lot of work with this method.
how would that work?
The cold would burn your fat?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics