• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hydroxycut Recall

Taxler

Reaction score
Anyone using this stuff or something similar?

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2009/NEW02006.html

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers to immediately stop using Hydroxycut products by Iovate Health Sciences Inc., of Oakville, Ontario and distributed by Iovate Health Sciences USA Inc. of Blasdell, N.Y. Some Hydroxycut products are associated with a number of serious liver injuries. Iovate has agreed to recall Hydroxycut products from the market.....

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
people who take that stuff are idiots

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 million bottles sold per year for multiple years, with only 23 cases of adverse effects, most of which can more than likely be attributed to marsupials with a 'more is better' mentality. aspirin kills more people every year.

i do agree that people who use hydroxycut are idiots, but only because thermos without ephedrine are a waste of time and money.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
1 million bottles sold per year for multiple years, with only 23 cases of adverse effects, most of which can more than likely be attributed to marsupials with a 'more is better' mentality. aspirin kills more people every year.

i do agree that people who use hydroxycut are idiots, but only because thermos without ephedrine are a waste of time and money.

23 cases of adverse effects? I don't know where those statistics come from, but I have personally managed far more cases than that in the ER. Maybe you are referring to death cases, but I suspect even that is higher.

The current recall is regarding liver toxicity. I got a call tonight through a Kaiser advise nurse regarding a patient who has been taking a Hydroxcut product for several months and is now experiencing right quadrant pain. I can't help but suspect that this has some psychosomatic component or perhaps she has seen advertisements for attorneys representing Hydroxycut "victims". I referred her in for liver function tests which I expect will be normal, but you never know.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
23 cases of adverse effects? I don't know where those statistics come from, but I have personally managed far more cases than that in the ER. Maybe you are referring to death cases, but I suspect even that is higher.

No, just the number mentioned in the article.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
O ****
facepalm.gif

time to throw my bottle away...
hope my liver doesnt fail on me... been taking this stuff for the past year about...

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
No, just the number mentioned in the article.

The current FDA alert is referring to the current issue with hepatic injury associated with Hydroxycut and not adverse effects ever reported with the product. I suspect that the current issues have something to do with contamination rather than labeled ingredients; I suppose time will tell. Hydroxycut used to be formulated with ephedra and there were MANY adverse events associated with it's use. These included cardiovascular events in young women not typically considered at risk and even when used as directed (without dose escalation).

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take hydroxycut, only once a day -2 tabs in the morning. While I know its "proprietary blend" of herbs is a crock, I take it for the caffeine to give me extra jolt. Helps with what would otherwise be a rough morning. Particularly helpful if I can drag myself out of bed early enough to work out. I get additional caffeine when I get into work and have the time to make myself some coffee.

But based on the news, I'm returning my bottle to Costco to get a refund, and will not use it.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I take hydroxycut, only once a day -2 tabs in the morning. While I know its "proprietary blend" of herbs is a crock, I take it for the caffeine to give me extra jolt. Helps with what would otherwise be a rough morning. Particularly helpful if I can drag myself out of bed early enough to work out. I get additional caffeine when I get into work and have the time to make myself some coffee.

But based on the news, I'm returning my bottle to Costco to get a refund, and will not use it.

WTF? Why not just get a $5 bottle of caffeine pills?

Anyways, I never understood why people pay out the ass for these fat burners, when an EC stack costs 1/10th the price and works 100x better. I tried Thermoburn today (someone at the gym had a bottle) and it literally did nothing. It made EC seem like crack cocaine.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, never saw this one coming!
sarcasm.gif

What diet drugs haven't/i] been recalled?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relax. I guess I could have, but I didn't. Don't worry about it.

Originally Posted by bawlin

Anyways, I never understood why people pay out the ass for these fat burners, when an EC stack costs 1/10th the price and works 100x better. I tried Thermoburn today (someone at the gym had a bottle) and it literally did nothing. It made EC seem like crack cocaine.

blackdarkeye

Reaction score

what is ec?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I'm really worried.
I didn't notice you advocated an EC stack. I don't want anything to do with ephedrine. I suppose it would be very effective for people if it were safe enough to take for a training cycle. Years ago after 3 days on that stuff, I thought I could have a heart attack at any moment, and that was before all the commotion was made about its safety.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads