• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hydrophilic and Hydrophobic nano coatings

East Coaster

Reaction score
Will these coatings become more mainstream to reduce stains, wick away sweat etc for higher end fashion.

Or will they stay in the world of sports and commercial products?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
High-end clothes covers a mulitude of makes. Those that emphasise traditional aesthetics and handwork will find incorporating modern technical materials difficult because of the clash with what they currently market themselves as. Those that emphasise cutting-edge design (or are more fashion-oriented generally) will find it easier to include modern finishes and materials. An example of a brand that attempts to marry the two sets of values to some degree would be Loro Piana, with its Storm System lines. But it's a tricky line to walk successfully, on a consistent basis.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Well given that the technology has been around for a number of years yet it's not broken through into other markets is a significant pointer. I would guess it's future will be determined solely by commercial factors, rather than fields of application.

Last edited:

East Coaster

Reaction score
Would love to see Hydrophilic coating on super fine cotton shirting.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a picture I took of Isaia's Aquaspider wool. Superhydrophobic. I'll have to try it again after a few dry cleanings.

dJUtkl.jpg

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those that emphasise traditional aesthetics and handwork will find incorporating modern technical materials difficult because of the clash with what they currently market themselves as.

Correct, though in my mind this 'clash' is an illusion. It seems every bespoke tailor out there seems to have a knee-jerk aversion to fabrics with harmless modern improvements like water-resistance, stretch, etc, that have no noticeable visual or performance difference with traditional 100% wool. I have yet to find any textile engineer or similarly-trained individual ever state that unaltered pure wool somehow 'drapes' better or whatever than altered fabrics... in fact, a tailor I used on the Row, highly esteemed on SF, when I presented him with some stretch suiting, frankly stated it may be a good idea but he didn't have experience working with it.

In my opinion then, it's the clients that are the source of this inexplicable phenomena in menswear; they're the ones demanding old-timey craftsmanship and the materials associated therewith. When they receive the finished product, they then declare how much better pure wool must be, than their JCPenny suit that was undoubtedly hideous because of the lycra it contained. All additional improvements to textiles thus become heresy and tacky.

I'm glad to see that Loro brand you mention is attempting to mesh the two, but I don't think these types of fabrics are ever going to go beyond RTW or MTM, until a new bespoke tailor is willing to differentiate himself.

East Coaster

Reaction score
It will happen slowly.

No doubt nano-coatings will probably appear with hydrophilic Bemberg to wick away sweat followed by hydrophobic coatings for suiting to make them 'cleaner' for longer.

If traditionalists don't keep up they will become museum relics rather than artisans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads