• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Huntsman British Warm in heavy Melton

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Stumbled across this post when trying to find out what has become of Karl. Was the interview published anywhere? And do you happen to know if Karl is still in business?

Ashamed to say I never ended up publishing the post. Meant to, and was grateful to Karl for taking the time to chat with me, but I kept getting buried in work and never got around to transcribing.

Don't know what's happened to him, unfortunately. He had some website issues when I talked to him a few years ago and was looking for a new webmaster. Maybe those issues came up again? He's on Instagram and you can try reaching out to him directly. Account hasn't been updated for a while, but perhaps he'll respond.

https://www.instagram.com/karlmatthewsbespoke/

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
British Warms were quite popular during the 80s in the US.
I wore one when I lived in Chicago. It was from Chipp and
32 oz. melton, I believe. Unlike the Huntsman example shown,
it was natural shoulder and somewhat looser fitting. Mine
had no epaulets. This model from O'Connell's approximates
mine:

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/O-Connell-s-British-Warm-Overcoat.html

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
British Warms were quite popular during the 80s in the US.

I had one in those days, too. I bought it in London, at Austin Reed, back when Austin Reed was still, well, Austin Reed. It kept ****** warm on trips to Detroit, New York, and London in the winter and even one time in ridiculously cold weather in my one and only visit to Davenport, Iowa. Sadly, the moths got it and I eventually donated it to the One Warm Coat project. I do miss that coat.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ashamed to say I never ended up publishing the post. Meant to, and was grateful to Karl for taking the time to chat with me, but I kept getting buried in work and never got around to transcribing.

Don't know what's happened to him, unfortunately. He had some website issues when I talked to him a few years ago and was looking for a new webmaster. Maybe those issues came up again? He's on Instagram and you can try reaching out to him directly. Account hasn't been updated for a while, but perhaps he'll respond.

https://www.instagram.com/karlmatthewsbespoke/

But I guess it's not too late to post it? :)

Anyway, thanks for your update. It seems that he started a styling service (including the option of bespoke tailoring) called The Hounds Tooth: https://www.facebook.com/The-Hounds-Tooth-Savile-Row-Tailoring-583065765172226/?fref=ts

But again, the facebook page hasn't been updated for a year :confused: But let's hope he just has a solid client base and hence doesn't need to advertise. Tried to contact him two times last year though, but never received a reply.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But I guess it's not too late to post it? :)

Anyway, thanks for your update. It seems that he started a styling service (including the option of bespoke tailoring) called The Hounds Tooth: https://www.facebook.com/The-Hounds-Tooth-Savile-Row-Tailoring-583065765172226/?fref=ts

But again, the facebook page hasn't been updated for a year :confused: But let's hope he just has a solid client base and hence doesn't need to advertise. Tried to contact him two times last year though, but never received a reply.

I would probably want to clear some things with him before publishing anything, as some of the info might be old. The stories were charming though, and he shared some interesting insight into the world of tailoring. Just not sure the business model and service topics are still relevant.

Anyway, if he hasn't replied to your messages, I assume he's not in the business anymore. Any reason why you're trying to contact him?

Last edited:

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would probably want to clear some things with him before publishing anything, as some of the info might be old. The stories were charming though, and he shared some interesting insight into the world of tailoring. Just not sure the business model and service topics are still relevant.

Anyway, if he hasn't replied to your messages, I assume he's not in the business anymore. Any reason why you're trying to contact him?

Yeah, I actually wanted to enquire about his prices etc. because I have always really liked his style and approach to tailoring, and I was considering having him make me a peacoat (a project which I'm btw. now starting up with a different tailor). But as you know I never even got to find out about his price range.

On a side note: half a year or so ago I surfed by the homepage of the Yorkshire Tailor – I think it was – where I amongst the photos of their garments found quite a few I've seen on Karl's before; the above mentioned LL cashmere coat was one. I found that quite odd but made me wonder whether he had joined another company, which I would however find really strange given his personal brand. Hmm, guess we'll never know what happened to him unless we can have some of his clients chip in.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

On a side note: half a year or so ago I surfed by the homepage of the Yorkshire Tailor – I think it was – where I amongst the photos of their garments found quite a few I've seen on Karl's before; the above mentioned LL cashmere coat was one. I found that quite odd but made me wonder whether he had joined another company, which I would however find really strange given his personal brand. Hmm, guess we'll never know what happened to him unless we can have some of his clients chip in.

Karl worked for A&S before going independent. And when he was an independent, Darren Beaman (the tailor behind Yorkshire Tailors) was one of Karl's coatmakers.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

PS: Seems Darren has now stared up this: http://www.savilerowtailoring.com/

Prices are claimed to be starting from 1200 pounds - no need to go to Naples then!? :cry:

He had a spate of undelivered orders with some old SF members. Not that other tailors aren't without their horror stories and problems, but perhaps something to consider.

Last edited:

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He had a spate of undelivered orders with some old SF members. Not that other tailors aren't without their horror stories and problems, but perhaps something to consider.

Once again: Very useful info, thanks! Guess it however doesn't solve whether one should go to Naples – the experience might be more familiar, ha!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads