1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Huntsman British Warm in heavy Melton

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dopey, Sep 23, 2014.

1. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]
    From http://www.h-huntsman.com/blog/introducing-the-british-warm-overcoat
    Do NOT look at the rest of their blog. It will give you a sad. Like watching someone jump of a bridge slowly.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Distinguished Member

A great example of a now not so popular overcoat style. The style has been on the wane ever since National Service ended and British Military cut backs after the Cold War I suppose.

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Distinguished Member

That looks great. I'm really disappointed that living in California precludes me from owning too many overcoats.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Wasn't there some controversy over the particular cloth that's used? I remember reading that it tailored very badly, so all the Savile Row houses wanted to get rid of it. Huntsman bought all the stock and started marketing it to Americans last year as a "British Warm". At least that's how the story goes.

5. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Distinguished Member

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Distinguished Member

7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

It must have been a particularly badly manufactured run rather the type of fabric in general. I have a vintage overcoat (which appears to have never been worn) in that same kind of fabric, and it's fabulous. I just need to get the arms shortened... pics soon.

8. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Distinguished Member

There was only controversy if you think someone anonymously slandering a tailoring house based on alleged rumor is controversy. For what it's worth, I've seen the sample from the picture and it's pretty magnificent. It's hard to imagine having to hand stitch that cloth and I don't envy the people that have to do so. The coat was a little too heavy for me but trying it on convinced me that i should commission a huntsman overcoat soon.

9. dopey

Lol. I posted this with you in mind, thinking you would admit it was yours. I have a similar cut overcoat from Dege in a heavy navy Melton-like herringbone.

I am glad Patrick will keep you as a customer though I find the l'Roubi stuff off putting. That, and I haven't heard from them since Peter Smith left.

10. Griffyndor

I don't think I share the same view of style as Roubi but he is passionate about the brand and a far as I can tell he stays out of Pat's way. I think my buying has shifted more toward Cifonelli than huntsman, but that has more to do with exchange rates than anything else.

11. dopey

Have you spoken to Peter since he moved? I have heard nothing.
    I assume that is because I am a small-timer.

12. Griffyndor

I haven't Dopey but I would assume that peter can't contact old huntsman customers either because he is contractually restricted or because he doesn't feel that it is appropriate (or both). I think the split was amicable as Peter was particularly close with huntsman'so previous owners and wouldn't have left while the brand was under their watch, but that once they left it was pretty easy to take what I understand to be a magnificent offer with RA.

13. dopey

That makes sense, though I don't recall hearing from H either. I might have gotten a mailing but I was used to getting a phone call.

14. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Distinguished Member

Well, I hope it keeps you warm..

15. S K M

S K M Senior Member

Stumbled across this post when trying to find out what has become of Karl. Was the interview published anywhere? And do you happen to know if Karl is still in business?