• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hunter Boot, LLBean Boot or Sorel... Best Wet-Weather Boot?

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The odd one out here is the Sorel as it is really a "cold weather" boot. I don't think it makes a lot of sense for any environment above 32 degrees F.

Alex C

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
The odd one out here is the Sorel as it is really a "cold weather" boot. I don't think it makes a lot of sense for any environment above 32 degrees F.

Agreed. Bean Boots all the way.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hunter with a suit, bean boot the rest of the time.

JS1357

Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
hunter with a suit, bean boot the rest of the time.

Agreed... So I think the Hunter is more versatile since it can be worn with suit or no suit and worn in warm or cold weather?

Montauk

Reaction score
Tall Hunters. Ideally navy, with a mustard yellow mackintosh. Perfect balance of elegant form and comfortable practicality. Assuming you don't go a-hacking on a regular basis, they're also pretty much the last remaining opportunity a man has to wear knee-high boots--which are a lot of fun and which throughout the arc of Western history have been rather widely and rightly regarded as some pretty tough gear.

The sawed-off Hunters look like clumsy half-measures to me.

JS1357

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montauk
Tall Hunters. Ideally navy, with a mustard yellow mackintosh. Perfect balance of elegant form and comfortable practicality. Assuming you don't go a-hacking on a regular basis, they're also pretty much the last remaining opportunity a man has to wear knee-high boots--which are a lot of fun and which throughout the arc of Western history have been rather widely and rightly regarded as some pretty tough gear.

The sawed-off Hunters look like clumsy half-measures to me.

Yes, they are not as refined as the tall ones. But they seem to be gaining popularity for guys, perhaps as a reaction to the popularity of the tall boots with women.

Unfortunately, with Hunters I am in between sizes, so their boots are either too snug or too loose on me. I guess I could always wear thick socks...

JS1357

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tristan.sf
Go with wellingtons from Aigle; Hunter's production is entirely in China.

I already own many items made in China in my wardrobe and around the house. I don't care where my rubber boots are made.

JS1357

Reaction score
Is it OK to wear Sorel boots without the inner lining? Will it be way too big?

mic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JS1357
Is it OK to wear Sorel boots without the inner lining? Will it be way too big?

Yes, it will be 2+ sizes too big.

If you needed a real snow boot for the woods you would buy something better made than that Sorel, which is very poor quality, unlike the pairs I had as a youngster. Meanwhile, it's overkill for commuting.

The hunter boot looks like what the 15 year old girls are wearing. Go with the Bean boot.

pnewelljr

Reaction score
Is it the green or the dark olive that was the original color? What color is the most classic?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads