• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hunt for RLBL

toade

Reaction score
Been looking for an RLBL in 40R for some time. Hoping for a staple suit, solid charcoal or navy, notch lapel, but some others may work...

Anyway, anybody seen any good sales on one lately... or have one just sitting around the closet? These seem to be increasingly harder to find. I'm a little north of LA, so if there are any good sales in that area, I could certainly make a trip on the weekend.

Thanks!

toade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vty8686
Solid charcoal and navy is really really hard to find at deep discounted price. You can try to hit retail stores when they're on sale, maybe department store.
Or
B&S here.

Yeah, been watching b&s for awhile. Best department store sales usually after thanksgiving or EOY?

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by toade
Yeah, been watching b&s for awhile. Best department store sales usually after thanksgiving or EOY?

always eoy...

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a black RLBL blazer at Off 5th recently for $399 less the usual discount of 25 or 30 %. If there's one at my store, maybe there are others at other off 5th locations.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

jungshoe

Reaction score
rlbl in solid staples is hard to find at discount. they'll go on sale a few times a year at the rl stores, although they won't be as heavily marked down as the stripes and other non-solid patterns. if you can wait a month or so, you might check out the mansion on rodeo around mid- to late november. they usually have sales around that time.

unfortunately, not many department stores carry rlbl suits. bloomingdale's and saks do, but not at every location. however, when they do go on sale at the department stores, they're usually significantly cheaper than through rl.

btw, this is off the subject, but i was visiting dallas recently and stopped in the new saks outlet they opened at mockingbird station. you dallas guys who haven't checked it out might want to do so. i saw a bunch of 2010 isaia base s suits in all sizes and an entire rack of rlbl suits

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jungshoe
rlbl in solid staples is hard to find at discount. they'll go on sale a few times a year at the rl stores, although they won't be as heavily marked down as the stripes and other non-solid patterns. if you can wait a month or so, you might check out the mansion on rodeo around mid- to late november. they usually have sales around that time.

unfortunately, not many department stores carry rlbl suits. bloomingdale's and saks do, but not at every location. however, when they do go on sale at the department stores, they're usually significantly cheaper than through rl.

btw, this is off the subject, but i was visiting dallas recently and stopped in the new saks outlet they opened at mockingbird station. you dallas guys who haven't checked it out might want to do so. i saw a bunch of 2010 isaia base s suits in all sizes and an entire rack of rlbl suits

Just curious, for those of us not in Dallas, what sort of RLBL suits did they have, and what were they going for?

To the OP: Not worth coming to LA for Bloomies, since they don't sell RLBL (only NY, Chicago and Chevy Chase do). Saks' selection is small and Barney's sometimes has some (got one at their last warehouse sale). Best bet is to hit the RL store here, but wait for the sale. Yoox had a couple, but not a great discount (like 30% off msrp) and Gilt sometimes gets some but they tend to sell out in minutes.

toade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
um - here's one for sale. Charcoal, 40r, for $700. It's what you want and while it's not a steal, it's worth that and it's right there available... http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=204286
Yeah, that seller was nice enough to PM based on this thread... only problem is the 31" pants... drop 7 is difficult enought, drop 9?!? I can't pull that off. Too bad too because that is exactly what I want, and $700 is a fair price.

toade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Just curious, for those of us not in Dallas, what sort of RLBL suits did they have, and what were they going for?

To the OP: Not worth coming to LA for Bloomies, since they don't sell RLBL (only NY, Chicago and Chevy Chase do). Saks' selection is small and Barney's sometimes has some (got one at their last warehouse sale). Best bet is to hit the RL store here, but wait for the sale. Yoox had a couple, but not a great discount (like 30% off msrp) and Gilt sometimes gets some but they tend to sell out in minutes.

I went to Saks on Beverly Hills earlier this year, and they actually had a lot of RLBL, including solid navy and charcoal. Much better than Barney's next door, which had some stripped ones i didn't like. RL on Rodeo had a pretty good selection as well. Here's to hoping I can find something good at their November sale, though 40% off may still be too much $$$ for me.

We have a pretty nice Saks outlet here in Camarillo, though usually the best they carry is EZ. I haven't stopped by in awhile though, I'll have to check if they have any RLBL.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
I went to Saks on Beverly Hills earlier this year, and they actually had a lot of RLBL, including solid navy and charcoal. Much better than Barney's next door, which had some stripped ones i didn't like. RL on Rodeo had a pretty good selection as well. Here's to hoping I can find something good at their November sale, though 40% off may still be too much $$$ for me.

We have a pretty nice Saks outlet here in Camarillo, though usually the best they carry is EZ. I haven't stopped by in awhile though, I'll have to check if they have any RLBL.

Though I prefer RLBL for the fit, EZ (assuming it's mainline) actually makes better suits out of better material. I own a number of RLBL and Zegna suits, and I have to say the overall finish and polish on the Zegnas is definitely a bit above. At MSRP, they tend to command about a 20-25% premium over RLBL.

toade

Reaction score
Though I prefer RLBL for the fit, EZ (assuming it's mainline) actually makes better suits out of better material. I own a number of RLBL and Zegna suits, and I have to say the overall finish and polish on the Zegnas is definitely a bit above. At MSRP, they tend to command about a 20-25% premium over RLBL.

Yeah, the EZ (mainline) was gorgeous, solid navy as well, and at $800 wasn't too bad... but it was Fit Roma, pleated pants and a bit roomier than I wanted. Really wish it was Fit Milano. I bought it and ended up returning it, figuring I'd wait for RLBL on B&S. 6 months later, no RLBL.

toade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vty8686
And, you can try Barney's Warehouse sale, their starting price of the suit or sportcoat are higher than regular barney's sale price, but if you wait till like 2 days before the end of warehouse sale, you'll definitely grab some deals.

When's the next warehouse sale in LA?

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Yeah, the EZ (mainline) was gorgeous, solid navy as well, and at $800 wasn't too bad... but it was Fit Roma, pleated pants and a bit roomier than I wanted. Really wish it was Fit Milano. I bought it and ended up returning it, figuring I'd wait for RLBL on B&S. 6 months later, no RLBL.

If you can find a Roma at that price with flat-front trousers, buy it. I prefer the Milano as well, as it fits me OTR, no alterations besides hemming the pants, but I can make a Roma 40R fit me with less than $100 in tailoring (not including the working buttonholes).

The above advice about the Barney's sale is good. I got a RLBL at the last one that's a solid dark blue, just a bit "bluer" than navy for about $480. If you're 6'0 or above, try the longs as well, the difference between that and the regular is less than an inch. I'm 6'1 and will buy either or, with a slight preference for the regulars if both are available.

Oh, and I was wrong, there's one more Bloomies that has RLBl, and that's SF. It's a really great store, if you happen to head to the Bay it's worth a look.

toade

Reaction score
If you can find a Roma at that price with flat-front trousers, buy it. I prefer the Milano as well, as it fits me OTR, no alterations besides hemming the pants, but I can make a Roma 40R fit me with less than $100 in tailoring (not including the working buttonholes).

The above advice about the Barney's sale is good. I got a RLBL at the last one that's a solid dark blue, just a bit "bluer" than navy for about $480. If you're 6'0 or above, try the longs as well, the difference between that and the regular is less than an inch. I'm 6'1 and will buy either or, with a slight preference for the regulars if both are available.

Oh, and I was wrong, there's one more Bloomies that has RLBl, and that's SF. It's a really great store, if you happen to head to the Bay it's worth a look.

Went to Saks Outlet in Camarillo, and they had zero Ralph Lauren. Also zero EZ mainline. They did have some isaia, but no solids in my size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads