• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hungarian shoemaker

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
That other guy whose videos I posted sells a book about all this. (It's not cheap tho...)

As for a last, I would think carving your own would be part of the fun. And then your shoes would be bespoke!

smile.gif
carving one is fun, creating a near mirror image of the other foot would be another story?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Marcel, can i ask you what you used to color/polish the sole edge and the upper leather in part 5?

is it just regular wax polish and shoe cream or is it some special paint or something ?

if i apply that thick layer of wax polish on the upper leather all over , once i wear the shoes and flex , it cracks and flakes all over. how do you prevent this ? thanks.

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Wow! "my forum"
smile.gif
began to work! Thanks guys! Shoe: you can make your own shoe, but you must know, that the method on the video is one of the most difficult one. You shouldn't start with this. You can learn on your own, but I would suggest to search someone, who can teach you the proper way. You will save time, energy and money with it. (maybe join to thehcc.org community - they are helpful guys, who can give you better advices than me - I am not a native speaker, I can hardly express myself) You can buy a lot of tools from resellers from the web. To the first step, you will need a hammer, a knife, lasting pincer, and a few more thing - most probably you can buy a "starting KIT" somewhere. My tools are 70-100 years old pieces (except the knives and a few other ones). Some of them was bought by my great grandfather. This tools are not available anymore - elegant, beautiful masterpieces, not like produced nowdays (I can make a photo to compare, if someone wants). Finishing. The polish layer are very-very thin. The finishing takes 2-3 hours to achieve this, with small tricks a secret
smile.gif
materials. (actually this is the case: workshops always keep some trick under theirs hat). Edge: special wax for shoes.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcellHUN
Wow! "my forum"
smile.gif
began to work! Thanks guys!

Shoe: you can make your own shoe, but you must know, that the method on the video is one of the most difficult one. You shouldn't start with this. You can learn on your own, but I would suggest to search someone, who can teach you the proper way. You will save time, energy and money with it. (maybe join to thehcc.org community - they are helpful guys, who can give you better advices than me - I am not a native speaker, I can hardly express myself)

You can buy a lot of tools from resellers from the web. To the first step, you will need a hammer, a knife, lasting pincer, and a few more thing - most probably you can buy a "starting KIT" somewhere.

My tools are 70-100 years old pieces (except the knives and a few other ones). Some of them was bought by my great grandfather. This tools are not available anymore - elegant, beautiful masterpieces, not like produced nowdays (I can make a photo to compare, if someone wants).

Finishing. The polish layer are very-very thin. The finishing takes 2-3 hours to achieve this, with small tricks a secret
smile.gif
materials. (actually this is the case: workshops always keep some trick under theirs hat).

Edge: special wax for shoes.

Marcell, thank you for the info. I do sometimes wish to strip the black color off a manufacturer's black shoes, and recolor it brown or something else. So a strip off with something harsh like acetone or some kind of acid , and a repolish with kiwi shoe polish and /or cream will not do the trick?

Anyways, I love the videos. I cannot wait for the 6th one. I've always wanted to see something like this the past 2 years Ive been here. Is that you in the video or a coworker?
The person in the video has very skilled hands at sculptiing and cutting, very steady and artful movements. Thank you.

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Shoe,

that is me and my hands on the video. Thanks for the appreciation.

For repolish you will need a special paint, but you can't use it on any type of leather. (and maybe I would suggest to make it with an airbrush). Kiwi is not good for re-colouring. For polish - the perfect choice. (for the first polish, we extend it with some other materials)

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marcel, your english is superb, please do not get tired of posting here. This is incredible.

Shoemaking is such a mystery to most people, even with tons of pics, drawings, books like "Handmade Shoes", etc. This is a revelation to me.

For example, you applying each stack of heel leather one by one, then trimming off each layer one by one, I would have never thought it was done like this. I would have bet money that there was a machine press somewhere.

edit: I will never again for a moment think that true handmade shoes are overpriced. $1000 sounds like a starting point for something like this.

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Thanks Tarmac,

I really have to search a lot of words in dictionary, and I am still sure that I make a lot of mistakes - but at least the people more or less understand me.

Certainly there are solutions for each phase of shoemaking by machines. For example: like we have printers, but a printed picture will never worth the same amount, than an oil painted one.. In this video you cannot catch even one machine - this way the way of shoemaking a few decades ago - and this way I make shoes today. I don't have anything against machines - but I hope there are some guys, who needs my very work-intensive handcraft.

Thank for appreciation again!

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Shoe,

I have a page in Hungarian, which shows a few finshed design, but I work as a bespoke shoemaker. I will send you the address in a PM, but this page is far from the actual stage. (but soon will be actualised)

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MarcelHun,

Thanks for posting your videos. I now have a better appreciation of handmade shoes.

Question for you:

I notice you don't put as many brass nails into the heel of your shoes compared to Vass. Are the nails that Vass use really necessary to hold the heel together? I find them to be slippery on wet surfaces.

BRN20BUDAPEST204.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
I notice you don't put as many brass nails into the heel of your shoes compared to Vass. Are the nails that Vass use really necessary to hold the heel together? I find them to be slippery on wet surfaces.
BRN20BUDAPEST204.jpg

Let's see what the expert says. In my experience brass nails shouldnt be the reason.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't nails slow down wear as well as hold the layers together? It's why you see a huge slippery V cleat on old american shoes

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Those nails are definitely the slippery culprits. I would do without them if possible.

Nails can definitely make heels slippery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads