• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hundredpushups.com

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
http://hundredpushups.com/

Anyone doing this? I'm on week 3, day 2, column 2. I actually could have qualified for column 3 (I've now done 40 pushups in a row), but the routine was a little intense.

It's been fun doing this, and in the beginning it's pretty low pressure, even in column 3. Low pressure, not a lot of time, and it seems to be a sensible way to reach the goal of 100 consecutive pushups. What's not to like?

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Thanks for the link!

Definitely gonna try that out, as I can hardly do 30 pushups in my current condition.

clarity

Reaction score
That's pretty cool. I throw down 30 push-ups every other day already. But never really thought about stepping it up a notch like this. Column 3 looks mean the last 2 weeks though, but I'll find out soon enough. =D

Wonder if it's worth it to jump start to like week 2ish. Meh I'll go from week 1.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can easily do 100 pushups in 100 days.
biggrin.gif

Syl

Reaction score
Excellent link!
Thanks

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the point other than to do 100 pushups?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
What's the point other than to do 100 pushups?

Get stronger? Improve your strength and health? Stupid **** like that?

What was the point of posting your post, other than to post it?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Get stronger? Improve your strength and health?

I would argue that it's more an increase in muscular endurance rather than strength. If you want to get stronger, then you'd add weight to your pushup rather than increasing the number of reps you can do.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I would argue that it's more an increase in muscular endurance rather than strength. If you want to get stronger, then you'd add weight to your pushup rather than increasing the number of reps you can do.

wow thanks a lot mr know it all. he was just trying to state something. and ofcourse it will still get you stronger.

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Get stronger? Improve your strength and health? Stupid **** like that?

What was the point of posting your post, other than to post it?

He's right. It's a waste of time and energy, especially for people who aren't doing much else. You grow by adding load, you increase CNS efficiency by adding load, you increase endurance by adding load, you increase bone density by adding load, you burn more calories by adding load. If people find that they have trouble with the first half of this program they are in absolutely horrendous shape, and desperately need to make changes that are much more extreme than happy-fun time unweighted exercises for six year olds.
Originally Posted by Jumbie
You increase your anaerobic threshold by doing high-repetition work with load, not by doing high-repetition work without load.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it is load, your body is what is being used as load. its not as if your doing a push up by pushing your hands through the air while standing up...

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
it is load, your body is what is being used as load. its not as if your doing a push up by pushing your hands through the air while standing up...
I don't think you quite understand. It's about extraneous load, once you've developed the strength necessary to do a very basic body weight exercise like the push-up there's little growth and minimal strength gains involved with doing more of them without load. It's sort of a steady state cardio exercise (you're probably better off walking, though), it's not a higher intensity cardio exercise, it's not a resistance exercise. It probably qualifies as a medium intensity cardiovascular workout with the rest intervals it uses. There's certain crossfit-type bullshit for body weight work and various programs floating around that are... okay (I'm inherently against almost all body weight work), but push-ups are not a big part of any of them, because push-ups aren't worth fatiguing yourself over without any extra load. It's not about push-ups being totally worthless (although at a certain point, without extra load, they are), it's about expending energy intelligently on what gives you the greatest results. Ultimately, this is a program for people who are out of shape, who want something easy, and as a result who will never get into shape. They'll get minor results from this if they've never do any physical activity, but eventually they'll give up on it like they give up on it because it's repetitive. This is like people claiming that they're trying to eat better when they buy those 100-calorie packs instead of big cartons of Oreos. It's half-assed, and it's still ****.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truth.

I don't share eidolon's overwhelmingly negative opinion of crossfit and bodyweight (and the 100 calorie pack analogy is a bit harsh), but this is all still pretty much right. Being able to do 100 pushups isn't bad, I guess, but if you're serious about training, take the time to read a few beginner's guides on a bodybuilding forum and get to work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads