• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss Vs Zegna

sss

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to first off say that this is a great site and I have learned a great deal about suits.

Now on to my dilemma, I am looking around for a suit for my wedding reception which I hope to make a statement wearing and use in the future for work.
I live in Vancouver, Canada were we are suckered into buying from Harry Rosen or Holt. I am very particular and am hoping to find a dark gray color and if possible a 3 piece. I saw one at the Hugo Boss store ( which I know is a SF sin) for $1195 plus taxes (regular price for a James Sharp 2). It fits well and I love the color. Then I saw another one at Zegna for about $1200 (50% of ticketed price of $2400). The Zegna one is obviously better constructed from what I have read on this site and the suit is beautiful as well. Only thing is I prefer the Hugo Boss suit as the color is nicer and its also a 3 piece. The final choice is just buying one from the Hugo Boss outlet for about $500 with taxes. What would you do in my situation?

I don't mind sacrificing the 3 piece for something thats about the third of the cost if I were to get it at States, I am just worried that they may not have my size(38R).

Thanks for your help.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check out this thread

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=220488

if you want an overpriced suit that will fall apart get boss (btw never ever pay full retail for boss)

if you want a great suit that will last you for years to come get zegna

good luck and welcome

smile.gif

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with the Zegna and don't give it a second thought. Assuming it fits you nicely, it's better in every way, guaranteed.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zegna, in an ideal world, would be a significantly better choice over Boss.

However, there is no point in getting a suit (even a high quality one) if it does not:

1- Fit properly,
2- Carry itself on your body/look/style appropriately,
3- Make you 100% happy with the purchase.

Remember, not all suit colours, designs, and styling is appropriate for all. There is no one rule applies to all.

For you, I would suggest if you like the Boss better, and someone with you (preferably someone in the know) agrees it looks better on you, then go for the Boss.

I just shudder with fear that you would have to stump up so much money for the Boss suit. In terms of build and quality, Boss should be priced in the 200 - 300's, not 1000's.

Best of luck to you.

sss

Reaction score
I think I may exchange it for the Zegna or just buy a way cheaper one in the States. I think I am to caught up with the name rather than quality. I'm a rookie and thought that it being Boss and sold at Harry Rosen it is high quality. Thank you all for your help and teaching me about suits.

saiyar1

Reaction score
If you can get the Boss for 500 at the outlet, I just don't see why paying 600 more for the vest makes sense. If you really like Boss' cut and fit, at 500 it's not the end of the world. Don't necessarily listen to the people who go to extremes. The Boss will not "fall apart". That phrase is just thrown around to make a point. However, I would personally buy the Zegna, especially since it's a large markdown.

If I were in your shoes, it would be between the $500 Boss or the Zegna. If the Zegna wasn't trendy, fit very well, maybe a charcoal (some color that would look great at work), and you want to throw down some money for your special day, then I think it's fine to justify the $700 more. Otherwise it will sit unused while costing a lot.

Keep in mind you will make a huge statement witha flawlessly fitting suit first and foremost. The brand, price, and even cloth or color will be secondary. That's my opinion.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ps, when you buy something post some fit pics...

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sss
I think I may exchange it for the Zegna or just buy a way cheaper one in the States. I think I am to caught up with the name rather than quality. I'm a rookie and thought that it being Boss and sold at Harry Rosen it is high quality. Thank you all for your help and teaching me about suits.

It takes a while and trial and error to learn to weed out the good suits from the bad.

Hugo Boss: Not the highest quality suit ever. Fabrics can be nice (i.e. using Loro Piana), but tailoring usually not first class. Suits are fused and not canvassed generally (I have seen half canvassed non-fused Hugo suits though, but they are not the norm).

However, it is important to know that several of the name brand suits, i.e. such as D&G line and Versace Collection also are fused and not canvassed. They are not much better quality than Hugo either. Again, you often find these for under $400, people who know suits do not purchase them unless they are virtual givaways.

If you can get Hugo for $300 or under, thats OK. Get it tailored for better fit, you are good to go.

My personal opinion -> Get the Zegna provided you can get it tailored and the suit "suits" you well!

sss

Reaction score
I will try to get some pics on how they look on me, but I feel uncomfortable just trying on suits and not buying. When I am in Harry Rosen or any of those suit stores it feels like you are obligated to leave with a suit. For some reason I know they work on commission but it seems a lot of the salespeople at Harry Rosen only care about making the sale.

My chest is wide so it has to be altered, currently when I tried on both the jackets the lapel would not roll off my chest. It was instead creased when I had it buttoned but the salesperson informed me that they could fix it to minimize it as much as possible.

If i do go to Zegna i'll talk to that guy.

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
Zegna without a doubt. It's well made and will definitely last for future use.

olualbert

Reaction score
There is no comparison between Hugo Boss and Zegna...is like comparing AE to John Lobb, I just dont see the comparison here, therefore, I recommend Zegna. By the way, I feel Hugo Boss makes crappy suit..at least that's just my opinion.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the only thing I walk out of Harry's with is the guys business card. Never feel obliged to buy.

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
the only thing I walk out of Harry's with is the guys business card. Never feel obliged to buy.

+1

I use Harry Rosen to determine my size...and then I buy online.

I do buy some pieces here and there but the majority of my purchases are done online...or during trips to the US.

I don't feel bad at all for doing this because they are an awful retailer. If prices were more reasonable, I would have no problem spending there.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sss
\\My chest is wide so it has to be altered, currently when I tried on both the jackets the lapel would not roll off my chest. It was instead creased when I had it buttoned but the salesperson informed me that they could fix it to minimize it as much as possible.

Are you sure the suit is a roll lapel? If it's creased flat then usually that's how it was meant to lay. I wouldn't go tailoring the chest to try to create that roll. Just buy the size that fits your shoulders/chest the best. DON'T listen to some salesperson who tells you he can tailor it to create that look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads