Hugo Boss Tuxedo: Shoulder/Sleeve Not Right

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bsacc, Nov 25, 2012.

1. bsacc

bsacc Member

Hi Everyone! This is my first post, but I have been a longtime guest reader and appreciate all the great advice from the contributors.

I have been looking for a tuxedo and the Hugo Boss Carey Grant has caught my eye. It's got the peak lapels I want at the right price point. It's not as slim as I'd like it to be, but their in-house tailor said he can take in the jacket and pants to make it fit more like the Hugo (red) line. There is however one problem. The shoulder/sleeve area doesn't look right. Their in-house tailor said he can't do anything about it, but I'd like to get other opinions. When I stand in my normal posture, it wrinkles, but when i put my arms forward, it looks fine.

Here are some pics of how it looks when I stand straight up in my normal posture. These pictures are from when I tried it on in the store, so it has not been tailored at all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone also has any other suggestions for nice peak lapel tuxedos priced under $1,000, please feel free to share! Thanks in advance!

2. bsacc

bsacc Member

Some additional information that I previously left out: Someone told me that the sleeve needs to be rotated at the shoulder. I found this animation in another thread (credit to tailorgod). Does anyone think that's the problem? If so, is it fixable and is it an easy alteration?
    [​IMG]
    Or is the problem with the shoulder? Someone else said it might be a shoulder pad issue.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

3. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

You might need to size down.

4. bsacc

bsacc Member

This one was a 38. I tried the 36 and it did the same thing, plus the chest area was too tight.

And for both sizes, when I brought my arms forward, the wrinkles disappeared.

5. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

It looks like the shoulders are too wide, the yoke (across the upper back/rear shoulders) is too wide and too structured and the sleeves don't accomodate the straight position of your arms. Judging from the shoulders (and sleeves), sizing down may be a good option. If that doesn't work, you can have alterations done or find a different cut.

6. bsacc

bsacc Member

I tried one size down and the sleeves did the same thing. The problem with the smaller size was the chest was too small causing the front to stick out a bit. So from a size standpoint, it doesn't make a difference in the sleeves. Maybe you're right that the cut might be the problem [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

7. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

keep looking for another tux - rotating the shoulder seems like a complicated fix - I'd be surprised if any store would do that alteration for free. you don't want to buy the tux only to find out no one can do it locally or it's expensive

8. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I think the main problem is that the shoulders don't follow your natural shoulder line at all. You seem to have sloped, forward shoulders. Need to try other brands...

9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

That photo alone should tell you to move on.

10. mason

mason Well-Known Member

there's seriously something wrong with the sleeves with all the creases.

11. bsacc

bsacc Member

The shoulder pads are kind of big. I'm thinking if I move down to a 36 and have the shoulder pads replaced with smaller ones, it might fit better.

Hugo Boss store already said they won't do it. I would have to take it to my own tailor, but even then I'm worried it won't get fixed or look right.

Sloped forward? Actually, when I sloped my shoulders forward it would correct the creases in the sleeve.

A good tailoring job can't salvage it, huh?

12. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

yup - move on

13. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I'm talking about the shape of your clavicle, not the angle of your arms. See how your real shoulder seems to be in front of the jacket's shoulder in the picture.

14. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

You need forward shoulders. Taking out shoulder pads or decreasing shoulder width won't help you. Actually the shoulders will look better if you try a size or two larger, but you will end up with a very messy back...

As RDiaz said, the shoulders must fit your natural shoulder line.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

15. bsacc

bsacc Member

I see what you're saying. Thanks for explaining further. A good tailor can't fix that?