• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hugo boss suit

jmvc

Reaction score
I was at nordstrom rack and they had a navy blue hugo boss black label suit there for $500. Is this a fair price to be paying for this suit as it fit me quite well. It had a light metallic blue inside lining and on the opposite side of the boss logo was super 100's tag.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asking about Hugo Boss on this forum is like visiting an Israeli or Palestinian based forum and asking about the other side.

That said, as one of the few HB defenders I will say that I find that price to be satisfactory for a navy blue suit from Boss though with some work you could definitely do better on the price/quality ratio.

Granted, with some hunting you could find a better quality navy blue suit from another manufacturer, whether from an outlet or on eBay (though as a staple colour it can be difficult if you're a relatively unpopular size) but if you want a navy suit now then I consider it a reasonable price.

Now let the anti-Boss vitriol begin.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even Gian Luca's gonna wear better than a Hugo Boss. ****, man, $500 doesn't grow on trees. Why support the devil suit maker? A Canali will last you like six times longer, no?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know $500 was now considered that much money, particularly considering the spending habits of many on this forum.

Mentos

Reaction score
I own a Hugo Boss suit, or which I paid about $500. It's fine quality for that price, so if you like it, get it. The construction is not great, but it won't fall apart. I've had mine for years, and while I don't wear it often, it looks just fine. Watch out to make sure that it's not too fashiony.

Everyone is right that you can shop sales and get a better suit for less, but imho it's not easy to prowl sales when first starting to look for good clothes--you need a base to wear while you wait to pounce.

For good measure, if you're not in a huge hurry, try looking at the suits at a plac like sierra trading post. I'm willing to be that you can find something decent for a similar price. People here will help navigate the brands.

Never feel like you MUST jump on a $500 HB suit--they always cost that much, and no more should be paid for them, given what you get.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't find that a good value at all for $500. MAYBE if it was solid navy, and you got it for that price at a Boss outlet and they gave you free alterations, etc... then it would be decent, but there are deals like this on ebay (NWT Oxxford solid navy for $600) etc...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oxxford-NWT-100-...QQcmdZViewItem

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
I didn't know $500 was now considered that much money, particularly considering the spending habits of many on this forum.

That's the attitude!

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I don't find that a good value at all for $500. MAYBE if it was solid navy, and you got it for that price at a Boss outlet and they gave you free alterations, etc... then it would be decent [...]

Oh, I didn't mention that it's solid navy and that I got it at the Boss store, so they gave me free alterations? I suppose that's relevant.
smile.gif

It's also a pretty nice wool/cashmere blend (winter suit).

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Free alterations? That makes it much better deal.
My thoughts on HB are:
1. If you are 44R or larger you could always find better made suit elsewhere.
2. If you are 50 and older you can definitely find a better suit elsewhere.
3. Boss has young cuts that complement fit, younger guys.
4. Fabric prints are also more interesting and young compare to usual, drab variety that you find at STP, Ebay or Filene's.
5. HB is a suit to wear to the club or party. HB is not a good place to find a suit for interview or work as you can always find those cheaper work suits made by venerable Canali-Corneliani-Zegna family on deep discounts at Filenes'(somewhere around $300-350 on sale), but the big downside is ...: they are almost always of drab-print variety.

So for younger, thinner Size:36-40 guy who is looking for a party suit HB is good.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Free alterations? That makes it much better deal.
My thoughts on HB are:
1. If you are 44R or larger you could always find better made suit elsewhere.
2. If you are 50 and older you can definitely find a better suit elsewhere.
3. Boss has young cuts that complement fit, younger guys.
4. Fabric prints are also more interesting and young compare to usual, drab variety that you find at STP, Ebay or Filene's.
5. HB is a suit to wear to the club or party. HB is not a good place to find a suit for interview or work as you can always find those cheaper work suits made by venerable Canali-Corneliani-Zegna family on deep discounts at Filenes'(somewhere around $300-350 on sale), but the big downside is ...: they are almost always of drab-print variety.

So for younger, thinner Size:36-40 guy who is looking for a party suit HB is good.

That could potentially be true, but for modern, trendier suits, there are lots more options, many in the same price range, Z Zegna, Paul Smith, Etro, Seize sue Vingt, Dries van Noten, Costume National, Commes de Garcons, Martin Margiela, that are generally considered trendier than Boss. I see Boss as more of a fusion line, trying to be a trendy alternative to suits like Polo Ralph Lauren, while being cheaper than the fashion labels such as Gucci and Prada. I don't see them as a true dressed up Streetwear derivative.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HB is the only company (unfortunately) where I can walk into it's store and 500-550 dollars later walk out with a suit that would definitely make me the best dressed man in a club.

BTW that is the difference between 30 y.o. man and 50 y.o. man. Where 50 y.o. man dresses for himself, thus prefers Isaia that only he could caress and appreciate, where 30 y.o. man dresses for stupid chicks who would never know the difference between AX, HB and Oxford.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HB is the only company (unfortunately) where I can walk into it's store and 500-550 dollars later walk out with a suit that would definitely make me the best dressed man in a club. BTW that is the difference between 30 y.o. man and 50 y.o. man. Where 50 y.o. man dresses for himself, thus prefers Isaia that only he could caress and appreciate, where 30 y.o. man dresses for stupid chicks who would never know the difference between AX, HB and Oxford.
I suppose it depends what clubs you go to, and the person as well. There are many people here that are 30 or younger (myself included) that prefer brands other than HB and have the means to afford them.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, I paid around $1500 for my HB suit. Why is everyone saying they cost $500. Is that for their cheaper models or did I pay three times too much.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Wait, I paid around $1500 for my HB suit. Why is everyone saying they cost $500. Is that for their cheaper models or did I pay three times too much.

You paid 3x too much.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
HB is the only company (unfortunately) where I can walk into it's store and 500-550 dollars later walk out with a suit that would definitely make me the best dressed man in a club.

BTW that is the difference between 30 y.o. man and 50 y.o. man. Where 50 y.o. man dresses for himself, thus prefers Isaia that only he could caress and appreciate, where 30 y.o. man dresses for stupid chicks who would never know the difference between AX, HB and Oxford.

There is some truth to this, but you can tell a cheap suit from a nice one. I saw a friend of mine from a fair distance and immediately thought - Joseph A. Banks suit, I guarantee it. Sure enough, I walked up to him and checked the label - Jos. A. Banks. It just had that ill-fitting, crappy fabric look to it. And I am definitely one of the newer members here.

And women are much better at spotting things like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics