• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Hugo Boss' Suit Jacket...

JaPo

Reaction score
Salutations.

Recently I bought this suit jacket which is labelled as 'Hugo Boss' and I was wondering if any of you could shed any light on the issue. I know very little about this subject and wouldn't even be able to tell you what material it is. Perhaps this is a long shot but, based on the labels and stitchings, would any of you be able to determine the era/collection/original price/authenticity of this garment?

Standard two button with fairly slim lapels. Sort of black pinstripe on the inner lining. It's fairly padded around the shoulder area and has quite a 'straight' fit, which I'm told is common with Hugo Boss. 'Hugo Hugo Boss'. It's slightly too big for me at the moment, and I don't have the money for any alterations, but I can easily take it back to the shop if it's some cheap knock off. I'm 6'1-2 and about 170lbs, if that matters.

Images below. I'd appreciate any input.

JaPo

Reaction score
I understand the fury a noob bumping their first thread with multiple posts elicits but please, anyone?

JaPo

Reaction score
That's reassuring.

What kind of price did the jacket in question fetch? + Is it feasible anyone on the site would be interested....

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sold one that I had in the b&s forum with the same stats/tag for 125 last year. A fine day that was
smile.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
it's their diffusion line Hugo. cheaper made suits and blazers where the fusing can really be felt obviously in the hand compared to other better made albeit fused suits. pictures (especially blurry ones) won't really tell the difference in qualitative gauging but we have to see it in person.
suits run very expensively from $600-900 and blazers $400 and up for this line.

and yes, dont get us furious.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JaPo
That's reassuring.

What kind of price did the jacket in question fetch? + Is it feasible anyone on the site would be interested....

you could try to sell it on another forum like honest forum. not sure.

you won't get much here.

1) diffusion line
2) unpopular brand
3)used
4) current demand for economy pricing (recession pricing)

these four factors will not make it worthwhile to sell here, unless you do run into the buyers who lurk here and other fora like honest, who may not know much about pricing , and to your luck , can purchase at your asking price, but that is once in a blue moon.

JaPo

Reaction score
Info is appreciated. Had a feeling the styleforums bods would be too clued up anyway. I guess, if anything, I'll visit another forum to sell it... now that people know it was £15.

To the ignorant 16 year-old, such as myself, Hugo Boss is assumed to be a quality brand. Mainly for its high prices and reputation. Do they not make dapper suits?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Info is appreciated. Had a feeling the styleforums bods would be too clued up anyway. I guess, if anything, I'll visit another forum to sell it... now that people know it was £15.

To the ignorant 16 year-old, such as myself, Hugo Boss is assumed to be a quality brand. Mainly for its high prices and reputation. Do they not make dapper suits?

if you are 16 years of age, or even in your 20s , or any age in my opinion, there is no problem, no issue with buying hugo boss suits or even their diffusion line.

i have no problem with it. the next guy shouldnt as well.

just forums like these pay more attention to the price paid to value ratio and sartorial details and truths.

just like any hobbyist forum, they'll get into more details than the next person about pianos, chess sets, model planes, or automobiles.

just dont get ripped off. that is one of the basic premises behind these fora.

JaPo

Reaction score
Wow so the tags make a difference. That's ridiculous.

I thought I'd picked up a cracking deal.

@sho'nuff: Taken on board.

Are most suits on this site made to measure, or bought off the rack and then altered?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Wow so the tags make a difference. That's ridiculous.

I thought I'd picked up a cracking deal.

@sho'nuff: Taken on board.

Are most suits on this site made to measure, or bought off the rack and then altered?

alot of people here buy off the rack. and then altered.

there are a few here who buy made to measure or bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads