• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss Shirts Quality

MSmithUK

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have always been tempted by some of the styles offered by the brand Hugo Boss.

There seems to be a good range of slim fitting items with nice and elegant cutaway collars.

Although the brand has fallen victim to 'chavs' and garish branded t-shirts, can anyone comment on the quality compared to price offered?

Thanks

MSmithUK

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple from when I started buying slimmer fitting shirts. I don't know why Chavs would want HB dress shirts, since there's no discernible logo and I'd be shocked if someone really recognized their cut.

Anyway, they're often on sale, so you can get them for like $75-80 and that's not a bad deal if you get a very slim, darted one. They're made in Malaysia or something like that so don't expect the best quality. That said, if you're just getting into dress shirts I wouldn't drop $300 or Charvet from the get go. :)

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on my experience: Quality is about the same as TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt...HB shirts just cost about 3 times as much.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally, i have had almost exclusively bad experiences with HB shirts. they all feel apart absurdly quickly. would not recommend.

Slippybee

Reaction score

personally, i have had almost exclusively bad experiences with HB shirts. they all feel apart absurdly quickly. would not recommend.

This ^ - They're pretty shoddy articles for the price.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A customer was wearing one in my shop the other day.
after looking at the made in china shirt,
I told him, Ihoped he had not paid more then $50 for the garment.
he admitted, he bought it on sale for $60.

Years ago, HB had partnered in factories in Poland, the Czech republic and turkey.
all were solid well made shirts using European fabric.
The chinese made shirt I saw was crap.

MSmithUK

Reaction score
Seeing them in stores on hangers in the clearance, they look as though they are modelling good designs and patterns, but the quality of the fabrics left more to be desired.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 HB black slim fit shirt. Both of them made in Macedonia. Quality is ok. But I feel the fabric is somewhat thin.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thin is good if you live in the desert or an otherwise hot climate.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Based on my experience: Quality is about the same as TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt...HB shirts just cost about 3 times as much.

I would agree with this, yes. I have a half dozen or so HB shirts.
Not one problem with any and I agree overpriced at retail..but what isn't?

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The HB oftentimes get a bad rap, but I've been lucky with a few suits..so far.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At retail, the quality of all the offerings i have seen never match the price asked, across the board.

x2 suits, both bought at a good discount, so it was a fair deal.

x3 dress shirts, (also bought at a good discount) which are the only shirts i have seen with decent material, compared to the other paper thin shirts Boss offers.

viator

Reaction score

A customer was wearing one in my shop the other day.
after looking at the made in china shirt,
I told him, Ihoped he had not paid more then $50 for the garment.
he admitted, he bought it on sale for $60.
Years ago, HB had partnered in factories in Poland, the Czech republic and turkey.
all were solid well made shirts using European fabric.
The chinese made shirt I saw was crap.

Carl, what should we be looking for in evaluating a shirt's quality, besides the fabric? People on this board are alway saying that a given shirt is "crap" or has "crap construction," but we don't often get much elaboration. I know I see a big difference between your shirts and CT shirts, but I don't know how to describe the differences.

Coronaeus

Reaction score
Before i knew a little more about how to get the most for my money, I bought a couple Hugo Boss shirts for close to full price. Both were "Made in China" examples. One I wore fairly regularly and it didn't last too long. The other I've worn infrequently, and it looks fine.

More recently I bought a "Made in Italy" offering at a significant discount, in large part to see how it differed from the Chinese ones. To my un-tutored eye, there is little difference between the shirts.

I suppose I'd buy a Hugo Boss shirt if it fit well off the rack, could be had for $50 or less, and wasn't something I thought I'd be wearing in very regular rotation.

I won't waste my money on the suits anymore, at any price. It is just too easy to get something much better for a similar price that will last a lot longer with regular wear. Paranthetically, I've noticed several shops in my area that used to carry Hugo Boss suits as their entry level line have started pushing Tombolini instead. Too many people unwilling to spend the asking price on the HB suits anymore?

My wife bought me a ridiculously thin Hugo Hugo Boss tie (Red Label) recently at some sort of sale. I presume this is a more fashion forward line. This fabric is quite lovely, but it is unwearable (for me) due to the excessive skinniness. I'd say that it has a thicker profile than a front, but you'd know I was exaggerating.... slightly.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I can offer some insights on the issue.

HB Selection shirts (in the ones I've seen) use premium Italian mills for fabrics (I have a solid blue dress shirt made with Tessuto fabric - they tag it on the inside). The shirt was actually constructed in Eastern Europe though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads