• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss Revisited

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed there are strong feelings about Hugo Boss (re. quality, fusing, etc...). But has anybody checked out Boss Selection?

They seem to be better than Armani Collezioni, and cheaper. Would you all agree?

I got a half-canvassed cashgora Boss Selection suit (made in germany) for 500. Also, alot of their fabrics come from Zegna, Barbera, etc...

And honestly, when you tell a female you wear Hugo Boss, they seem to go nuts.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The snobbier folks here hate Hugo Boss. The sad thing is I get more compliments on slim-fit HB (or Hugo) suits than any other, practically. Maybe that says something about the people with whom I interact!!

A Hugo Boss suit is not going to scream quality when you put it on, so if you're wearing a suit every day during the week it'll wear down. if you're wearing it here and there I think you can get by okay.

Cheers

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why Styleforum attracts so many new users that want to talk about Hugo Boss. I am going to start just cutting and pasting the following in all Hugo Boss related threads:

If you like Hugo Boss, buy Hugo Boss. Why go to the trouble of seeking out something that looks, fits, and feels exactly like Hugo Boss but that isn't Hugo Boss, when Hugo Boss already makes suits that look, fit, and feel exactly like Hugo Boss?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not exactly 'new'. I've followed the forum for a few years, but only registered today.

I own Isaia, RL Black Label, MTM, etc...

But it is legitimate to ask whether Boss is underrated (sometimes). I agree Boss Black is overpriced when not on sale, but Boss Selection is actually a good value consider the type of fabrics and construction.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, aren't Boss suits made by Regent (the ones made in Germany)?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HB does a good job having fashionable "looking" suits, and people with an eye for such things might say, let's dig deeper into this, let's trove around internet forums, and lo and behold, there's StyleForum! I've only been here about three weeks and I already own the place.

DStew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I don't know why Styleforum attracts so many new users that want to talk about Hugo Boss. I am going to start just cutting and pasting the following in all Hugo Boss related threads:

If you like Hugo Boss, buy Hugo Boss. Why go to the trouble of seeking out something that looks, fits, and feels exactly like Hugo Boss but that isn't Hugo Boss, when Hugo Boss already makes suits that look, fit, and feel exactly like Hugo Boss?

Unfortunately there just needs to be a sticky for new people who feel the uncontrollable need to justify their love of hugo boss in a thread of their own.

Bentley

Reaction score
Styleforum seems to contain an unusually large number of members who can be quite unwelcoming to newcomers. If someone posts a thread that the older member thinks is "silly" or (God forbid) has already been addressed previously, they seem to become quite offended and make it their business to put down the person who asked the question.

Get over it...if you aren't interested in the thread no one is forcing you to even read it much less reply with snarky comments.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yawn! Next interesting topic please
musicboohoo[1].gif

Doc4

Reaction score
I don't know why Styleforum attracts so many new users that want to talk about Hugo Boss.

... because a german clothing designer pays them?
teacha.gif

EhvGuy

Reaction score
I use my Hugo Boss as my standard everyday work suit. I bought it at a discount, it looks kind of fashionable, I don't care if it gets damaged and I'll trow it away and get another cheap suit once it reaches the end of its lifetime. On special occasions I'll wear something else.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score

Because to the average person or new member, Hugo Boss is a "high end" brand so they feel the need to defend themselves and get justification that they aren't wearing crappy clothes. It does come up a lot though. I think I read somewhere on this forum that a black Hugo Boss suit is the #1 selling suit in America. Don't know if that is really true though.

I agree here.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
Styleforum seems to contain an unusually large number of members who can be quite unwelcoming to newcomers. If someone posts a thread that the older member thinks is "silly" or (God forbid) has already been addressed previously, they seem to become quite offended and make it their business to put down the person who asked the question.

Get over it...if you aren't interested in the thread no one is forcing you to even read it much less reply with snarky comments.

Are you talking about me? Because I gave sound advice, the conclusion that anybody that likes their Hugo Boss suits is going to come to anyway. I am just hoping to avoid the inevitable five page thread of "Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald is pretty nice" "But Hugo Boss fits really well!" "Have you considered J. Crew Ludlow?" "Yeah, but they are not as good as my Hugo Boss."

If you like Hugo Boss, buy Hugo Boss. That's neither unwelcoming nor denigrating. That's the correct answer to this thread.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the comments are off base from my original question.

A half canvassed suit for 500 is better than a fused Armani Collez, Canali suit for 1-2k, correct?

And yes I know about suits. I own 2 Isaia, 2 RLBL and MTM. The Isaia are beautiful but are 140s. I can't wear them weekly.

And yes HB does a great marketing job, but the question is about Boss Selection (Zegna, Barbera wool and Regent made suits) which has hand-finished details, etc...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads