Hugo boss quality

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spinlps, Jan 30, 2004.

1. spinlps

spinlps Well-Known Member

OK, so I found a deal, but in terms of quality is it a good one? After a long search for a camel colored overcoat, I picked up a Hugo Boss cashmere tonight for $200 which the saleswoman at Mark Shale claimed originally retailed for either $1000 or $1200 (only thing left on the price tag was the bar code, the price was hand written). I like the slimmer cut than most I've seen and that it hangs right at the knew, rather than a few inches below.

I've never purchased Hugo Boss before, and was wondering if this is a quality, long term (albeit inexpensive) purchase or if I'm better off looking for something in my original "on sale" budget of $500 or so.

Thanks.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'd keep it, as long as it fits well and looks the way you want it to. $200 is the best price you'd find that quality at. It's quite a steal.

3. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

$200 for any decent Cashmere overcoat is below wholesale. You got a great deal but if you have second thoughts write me, I'll take it off your hands for $200.... To answer your other question - Hugo Boss is average in construction and tends to be above average in fabrics - is the fabric mill listed?[​IMG] For a suit, there is a big difference in fit between a premium canvas constructed jacket and a fused one - but in an overcoat? Think it over - it is not meant to really fit like a shell but instead it is a loose fitting garment not meant to really follow your shape exactly. Sure, bespoke would be great but just going on my own preferences... when I bought my overcoat I went for the Loro Piana stormproof cashmere in an average construction - one time when fabric mattered more than construction to me and it looks/feels/wears great. You done good, smile and quit worrying :)

4. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

Yes, keep the coat and be happy.

HB has very bad quality/price ratio  but it does make up for it in styling. I've often bought things from HB against better judgment just because I like the patterns or the fit. As a matter of fact I'm wearing a moss green/rust POW check suit from HB right now and it looks damn good on me :) Anyway, it will look dated a year or two from now so it's not meant to last forever.

I'm taking the hip country gentleman stance today: Holliday and Brown cashmere tie, Church's suede shoes and a white w/thin black stripes shirt from Zegna NC.

B

5. spinlps

spinlps Well-Known Member

Thanks gents.

It really is the best fitting one I've tried on, so I'm keepin' it. Just wasn't sure as I bought it on the road and prolly won't have a chance to return it.

Besides, I don't *think* it will go out of style any time soon... it's a camel colored overcoat right?.?.?