1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hughes Low Custom Alligator Wallet Review

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Superfluous, Jan 26, 2012.

1. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

I had contacted Hughes maybe 6 months ago? His initial response was speedy and I was optimistic about getting a wallet from him. But as communication became more laggy / infrequent, I became more and more doubtful that he would deliver on his promise. I wasn't willing to throw away a couple hundred dollars and potentially never receive my commission so ultimately decided against it (especially when you consider how fraught with danger sending animal skins thru customs could be). I figured based on the excuses he had already given me that Hughes could just say that he sent it and that it was confiscated at customs. While his products are beautiful, I just couldn't bring myself to go thru with it based on my apprehension. I think you have to trust your gut in these situations and saving money isn't saving money if you never get your goods.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. SnowKING

SnowKING Well-Known Member

Would this mean that you paid Hughes, and never received your product?

3. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

I think it's plain as day that, from deepitm's post, that he decided not to go ahead with the purchase.

4. SnowKING

oh well I had second thoughts about hughes but hopefully he'll be available to us soon.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  5. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

No I didn't pay. The whole point of my post is that I was too hesitant to pay for fear of potential lack of delivery. I certainly don't think Hughes is trying to fleece people. I think it's just a different standard of communication, customer service, and logistics than we are used to in this day and age.

6. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    He obviously likes to craft things for customers. He obviously cannot handle the volume of the new business. The reasonable thing to do would be to increase the price for his products and thus make customer volume more manageable, instead of going awol.

7. SnowKING

I hope hes available next month...

I could be more happy to order a belt, wallet, and a couple of watch straps from him.

8. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

I think he's already increased the prices.

He isn't out to fleece anybody. I've purchased quite a number of straps, and a case from him. Takes long, but he delivers. Of course, if you're in the States, you'd need to have it shipped via courier so they help you clear customs. I posted a while back even with DHL, I had to jump through hoops to get a belt I purchased from Brioni from the Wildlife department in California.

9. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    This is tree-hugging CA, no problems in Tri-State area on the East Coast.
    As for price, he still has way more customers willing to order than he is able to accommodate, short of opening his own factory he still needs to raise prices to weed out the riff raff.

10. SnowKING

I guess with a high demand.

11. SnowKING

Hughes been updating his tumblr lately.

Beautiful watch straps he created.

12. SnowKING

anyone been in contact with hughes lately?

13. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

SnowKING your posts are so bad. Come on, at least make an effort to contribute something of worth to the forum.

2 people like this.
  14. SnowKING

So a permit import and export by u.s fish and wildlife service must be filled out for any exotic leather coming from a different country? or would it be better to save down costs and declare as embossed leather goods?

I've never actually bought any exotics out of country so your help is greatly appreciated and I apologize for the bad posts made on this forum. I did actually got in contact with hughes, slow reples though but mostly because he checks his phone very less often and lots of incoming mail.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  15. SnowKING

For anyone that looks to buy from Hughes, he's still available. I finally got in contact with him after these weeks.

I just wanted to know whether or not did you have hughes declared as embossed leather goods or paid the permit import and export by u.s fish and wild life CITES?

16. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

Now maybe I can get him to answer an e-mail and finish an order he left me hanging on over a year go

17. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

The unreachable dream... :fu:

18. SnowKING

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  19. SnowKING

You should contact hughes and try to get your custom wallet made!

20. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

I have a brand new red gator strap that I m happy to sell on at cost price (no longer have the watch that I ordered the strap for). The strap has an additional Hughes touch that he no longer does due to the complexity and time-consuming nature of the work.