• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hughes Low Custom Alligator Wallet Review

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased some goods from Hughes so I thought I'd write a review.

I ordered a custom Alligator Card-Case Wallet. I could have gone with a traditional card case, but I think it looks more elegant when the cards aren’t exposed until you open the wallet. So I asked him to design one that would open like a wallet but would hold 4 cards (two on each side) and a back **** for any other cash. He drew a few great looking sketches with his design ideas and the options I had. Not only does it look like he’s a pretty good craftsman, he appears to be quite the artist as well. They were all greatly made designs and I had a great selection to choose from.

I enjoyed the entire process of making the wallet. From preliminary talks and sketches to customizing the features, he talks to you through the entire process with lots of photos of the process. He includes nice photos of the entire gator skin in his rainbow of colors.

I ended up going with brown alligator with matching stitching and curved card holders. The customization process and options were great and fun to go through. He quickly finalized the design and we agreed upon it. I’ve been using it for a little while now and it was exactly what I’ve been looking for and it looks great.

I love the look of the wallet with an interesting fade from larger scales to smaller scales on the outside. Even in the inside of the wallet is made from Alligator skin. He takes the time to make them all by hand with many precise stitches. So far the wallet has been exactly what I’ve been looking for. It opens easily to access my card, perfectly slides into my pocket, and is holding up nicely.

He's a member on SF and here's his website:

http://hughes-handcrafted.tumblr.com/

Some pictures:

My Photos
wallet2.jpg

wallet.jpg

wallet3.jpg

Photos from Blog:
tumblr_lxdostvJxB1r6wt7z.jpg

tumblr_lxdostvJxB1r6wt72z.jpg

tumblr_lxdostvJxB1r6wt73z.jpg

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your wallet looks great. I had Hughes make a belt for me and am waiting for it to arrive. Unfortunately is seems to have either gotten lost or just delayed to the Chinese New Year or US Customs. Hughes is great to work with and keeps in contact all the time. I am waiting now for him to get some more dark navy skin and have a cell phone and wallet like yours made. I have not finalized the design as of yet, but I looking forward to getting some of his work. He is also working on a french purse for a family friend, so I will be posting pics of that also.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your wallet looks great. I had Hughes make a belt for me and am waiting for it to arrive. Unfortunately is seems to have either gotten lost or just delayed to the Chinese New Year or US Customs. Hughes is great to work with and keeps in contact all the time. I am waiting now for him to get some more dark navy skin and have a cell phone and wallet like yours made. I have not finalized the design as of yet, but I looking forward to getting some of his work. He is also working on a french purse for a family friend, so I will be posting pics of that also.

Hope it didn't get lost in the mail :confused:.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am so it is only a hold up in customs also. It has been a month since it shipped and I would hate to wait more to have another one made and shipped.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It could be due to Fish & Wildlife inspection.

I had a watch with croc strap shipped to me from overseas. It had to detour through Anchorage for F&W inspection which took some extra time although as I recall it was only a few days extra. I've heard it can be a real PITA dealing with them if the sender didn't fill out the forms right too.

HLow

Reaction score
Thanks Gabe! I'm glad you like the wallet and i do appreciate the review.

And Chris, i do hope it is just a delay in customs too as the shipping time does vary!

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still hopeful that that is all it is too. I am looking forward to it and the other items I am going to have made. Are you still 4-6 months from getting the navy croc skins in?

HLow

Reaction score
Yeap, the dye lot for the additional navy skins would take a couple months as my order quantity is smaller and the tannery is doing me a favor actually
shog[1].gif

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure from the pics posted on your tumblr that the navy is worth the wait. It looks beautiful.

HLow

Reaction score
Chris, these are some of the items made with the Navy hide, i will be heading to the tannery this Wednesday to arrange for a dye lot for green skins and to get the black one for your friend's order.

- Hughes

I am sure from the pics posted on your tumblr that the navy is worth the wait. It looks beautiful.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look amazing Hughes. I think a credit card wallet in that navy will be a perfect birthday gift to myself this year.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also a happy customer of Hughes. Cherrywood wallet with Valextra pockets, pictured on his Tumblr blog. is mine. Hughes is a true craftsman and a gentlemen. I highly recommend him to anyone looking for unique and expertly made accessories. I am wrecking my brains on what to commission next.
P.S. Looking forward to the French purse pics .

Last edited:

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am also a happy customer of Hughes. Cherrywood wallet with Valextra pockets, pictured on his Tumblr blog. is mine. Hughes is a true craftsman and a gentlemen. I highly recommend him to anyone looking for unique and expertly made accessories. I am wrecking my brains on what to commission next.
P.S. Looking forward to the French purse pics .

That pics is making me rethink getting my credit card wallet with the Valextra style instead of the rounded ones I was going to go with. I am just waiting for more navy skins to get in for him. I am getting a credit card wallet, cell phone case and a keychain.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got great news this morning, my belt arrived. The post put it in my neighbors box and not mine. I will have pics tonight.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently having an alligator watch strap made for my vintage watch and an alligator amethyst heart keychain for my girlfriend. Looking forward to seeing them. The pictures he puts up of the work looks great, especially the wild colors. :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads