• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Huge tailoring mistake - what are my options?

dmass1

Reaction score
I might have just irreparably ruined 8 of my nicest shirts. I took them to a tailor that I have used plenty of times, with much success, to have the hem shortened slightly. Most of these shirts were just a few inches too long, but otherwise fit well. Low and behold, the tailor botched them ...every one of them.

Before taking the shirts in, I had him do a test with a cheap polo shirt to see how it looked, and it turned out great. The shirt was shortened to the perfect length, all around, but I did notice that the sides were closer to the length of the front and back, while still maintaining a slight difference or slope. I figured that he would use the same dimensions for the hem on the other shirts and told him to go ahead and hem them to the same length. I figured wrong...

Got them back today and the shirts have drastically shorter sides then the length of the front and back. The front and back are the same lengths as the test shirt, but the sides are about 1.5-2 inches shorter and they can no longer be tucked in and look pretty bad untucked as well.
ffffuuuu.gif

Basically wondering what my options are here. I just paid ~100$ for this tailor to basically ruin 8 of my favorite shirts. What would you do in this situation? I thought about maybe trying to get him to slim the shirts and hack off the extra front and back material for free to at least make them look better, but I'm hesitant...
eh.gif

am I fu cked?

sexonfabric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmass1
The front and back are the same lengths as the test shirt, but the sides are about 1.5-2 inches shorter and they can no longer be tucked in and look pretty bad untucked as well.

Just tell people they are Engineered Garments work shirts. According to Daiki, that's the way a shirt is meant to fit
ffffuuuu.gif

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can really do anything except maybe sew in the cutoff fabric if he kept it in on the sides like gussets. I stopped going to tailors after they messed up on 3 of my shirts. The idiot made it way slimmer than she said she would.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah sounds like a bad chop job.

You could sew in some fabric on the sides to try to compensate, but it might look strange if you can see it popping out when tucked. Or just say screw it and make some button-up s/s shirts that don't tuck.

If it makes you feel better, I completely fucked up a $75 shirt the other day before I even had time to wear it. I swear man, I should hide my sewing machine from myself some days.

dmass1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Sounds fucked to me. To be honest I can't believe you used a polo as a test and then brought eight shirts at once. Too bad man.

sorry - not a polo shirt, but a button-down shirt made by polo (ralph lauren)

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you told him the situation, you shouldn't have been charged. It should be corrected (if possible) at minimal or no charge.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can you tell me the brand of the 8 shirts so I can
properly feel bad about it. If they're are cheap
shirts, I'm gonna be irritated...by your posting.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You lost me at "test".

It's like geting a pair of jeans hemmed to perfection and then bringing in wool slacks and chinos to be duplicated in length.

dmass1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
can you tell me the brand of the 8 shirts so I can
properly feel bad about it. If they're are cheap
shirts, I'm gonna be irritated...by your posting.

2 BB Slims & 2 BB Extra Slim Ginghams, 2 RLPLs, 1 j crew (gunmetal gingham) and an Epaulet OCBD (light blue). Not super expensive shirts, but still significant $ and some of my favorite shirts. I hope they're good enough for you dahl
peepwall[1].gif

The instructions were to replicate a shirt he already cut and hemmed; one that he took measurements from. I figured he would be able to replicate the shirt with no problem. Probably one of the simplest tasks a tailor can do.

Nosu - I don't think these can be fixed, but do you think I should try to get my money back? Picked them up at lunch in a rush and didn't realize that they were off until I brought them home and tried them on. I feel like it may be tough to get the $ back at this point...

I know you all want pics haha. Sorry but don't have a proper camera and I'm just too lazy at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads