1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Huge sale at JoS A. Bank, suits and seperates

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sygyzy, Aug 28, 2006.

1. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

2. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I've got to give JAB some credit. While they may not be everyone's cup of tea, they are very aggresive marketers. And they are still in business.

There used to be many American shoe makers and now there are almost none. Well, it's the same with American clothing makers. More and more are going out of business, but Banks and a few others remain.

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I think they're good for odd trousers, socks, and plain pocket squares.

4. hanker565

hanker565 Senior member

I bought a wool/cashmere overcoat from this sale...big mistake. Of course I didn't expect anything great for $140 but what I received was really just terrible.

The MSRP's on JAB stuff is ridiculous...my $200 banana republic coat is much, much nicer than the "$500" JAB coat...

5. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

I just bought some shirts for there today that were on sale and then further reduced, came to $20 each. Not a bad deal.

6. Soph

Soph Senior member

I find it to be glorified mens wearhouse. IMO
    I hope they go out of business along with MW

Poorly made and cheap and way overpriced.

7. metaphysician

metaphysician Senior member

I find it to be glorified mens wearhouse. IMO
    I hope they go out of business along with MW

Poorly made and cheap and way overpriced.

Bo...rrelli?

8. Soph

Soph Senior member

Bo...rrelli?

Borrelli is overpriced at full retail. In fact, all clothing is overpriced at full retail. That's the point.

Poorly made and cheap? Borrelli/Attolini
    You need some help.

---Done with the JAB firestarter thread.[​IMG]

9. jmatt

jmatt Senior member

Borrelli is overpriced at full retail. In fact, all clothing is overpriced at full retail. That's the point.

Poorly made and cheap? Borrelli/Attolini
    You need some help.

---Done with the JAB firestarter thread.[​IMG]

I must respectfully disagree. I think the Signature Gold line, which is partial canvas, italian 120's fabric, has hand finished lapels, is a great workhorse suit for the money when bought at closeout pricing (retail a theoretical $1298, closeout $249).

True JAB's highest line is just at the point of the lowest quality suit I would wear, but I do see the value at that price point.

10. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I must respectfully disagree. I think the Signature Gold line, which is partial canvas, italian 120's fabric, has hand finished lapels, is a great workhorse suit for the money when bought at closeout pricing (retail a theoretical $1298, closeout $249).

True JAB's highest line is just at the point of the lowest quality suit I would wear, but I do see the value at that price point.

Yes, but it has the unforgiveable quality of not being made in Naples, which renders it devoid of fetishistic attraction to Soph.

11. Avers

Avers Well-Known Member

I just bought some shirts for there today that were on sale and then further reduced, came to $20 each. Not a bad deal.

How are their shirts anyway?

Seems like good deal for $20...

12. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I have actually found a few nice ties there. And if I knew a young man starting out who had limited funds I think they would do much, MUCH better at Banks than at MW.

13. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior member

I really like JOS A BANK. They have affordable prices and nice clothing especially when it's on sale. I guess here though, most won't agree with me. I have several ties from JOS A BANK that I got for great prices. As a matter of fact, everything I own from JOS A BANK I got for a good price, because I live 30 minutes from an outlet.

14. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

I got a fun plaid sportcoat and two vests (possibly of dubious quality) as a test. I want to start wearing vests, but don't want to invest too much money in it before I do real-time testing on whether it works for me and I am comfortable in them. So I think this is good.

15. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

The shirts seem pretty good, better then shirts I've paid more for from the gap or banana republic. I don't think I'd pay full price, but at $20 I'd say I got a pretty good deal.
    Grad

16. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Yes, but it has the unforgiveable quality of not being made in Naples, which renders it devoid of fetishistic attraction to Soph.
    [​IMG] It would seem that way with some people and generally being Italian made as well. I usually favour an English cut but I've seen some Italian cuts that I'd consider... were it not for reverse pleats.

17. DGP

DGP Senior member

What do you think a tailor could do with one of their suits? For $99, I'm tempted to get one and see if my tailor could turn it into a really fashion-forward cut suit. I'd get a regular jacket (which from them is a bit short on me) and flat front pants, then have the tailor take both in as much as possible at every point. Would this work, as far as the cut, or would it just be a disaster? Also, I'm 6'1, and a lot of leg, any chance a short length would work if I were going plain bottom? Think about this: The Business Express separates in black and white check, pants slimmed, jacket worn a bit on short side and super supressed at waist. I'm still wondering, though, just how slim my tailor could get the pants.

18. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

The one in my building has an additional 50% off sale so I bought 5 silk ties for $12.98 a pop!

19. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

What do you think a tailor could do with one of their suits? For $99, I'm tempted to get one and see if my tailor could turn it into a really fashion-forward cut suit. I'd get a regular jacket (which from them is a bit short on me) and flat front pants, then have the tailor take both in as much as possible at every point. Would this work, as far as the cut, or would it just be a disaster? Also, I'm 6'1, and a lot of leg, any chance a short length would work if I were going plain bottom? Think about this: The Business Express separates in black and white check, pants slimmed, jacket worn a bit on short side and super supressed at waist. I'm still wondering, though, just how slim my tailor could get the pants.

To get a true modern look, the lapels probably also would need modification. The jacket likely could only be shortened about half an inch (not that a short jacket on a tall man is advisable). To try all that doesn't sound like a good idea.

20. Soph

Soph Senior member

Pleaseeee...

I guess I should return the Crockett and Jones and Lobb shoes I own, and Pantherella socks I wear everyday as my clothing obession....

Kidding aside, I was a bit harsh with my hyperbole and ask forgiveness, so EA's embellishment of oversimplifying another with a obessive sartorial spin to further a supposed mental flaw for my insulting a brand he enjoys, is an acceptiable touchÃ[​IMG]. Running onward...

I do think you can do better with your clothing investment for various reasons. But if you enjoy JaB, more power to you. They do classic business styling well and at extremely affordable price point when on sale.