• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

http://www.tajtailors.com.hk/

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of "John Cooper" fabrics before. Despite the "English" sounding name, given this outfit's prices, it is almost certainly a Chinese fabric. At those prices, $299 or $349 for a supposedly "bespoke" suit, I'd hazard that you are not likely to be getting a high-quality garment. You may or may not be getting more for your money than at Macy's sale, but that's about all I can say.

jlopez211

Reaction score
I emailed them, and the representative said that their suits are fully canvassed and that they have a workshop in Hong Kong and a factory in china.
When asked about fabrics, the rep said that they also have have zenga, scabel, loro piana.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have been more favorably impressed if they had told you the suit was fused. That way you would have been more likely to get honest value for your money.

A few thoughts:

The best Hong Kong tailors--W.W. Chan, A-Man Hing Cheong, H. Baroman, Gordon Yao--will typically charge you $1,100 to $1,500 for a two-piece suit, depending on the fabric chosen, more for really expensive fabrics. That should get you a very fine suit, and I believe they are excellent values compared to equivalent product in the USA, Britain or Continental Europe.

Those familiar with Hong Kong tailoring generally state that it is possible to get a decent, serviceable suit for somewhere between $500 and $700. Jantzen is sometimes mentioned favorably in this price range, sometimes not so favorably. I saw quite a handsome suit from Baron Kay posted on one of the fora that was around $700, as I recall.

With those pricing parameters in mind, consider these two maxims:

"You get what you pay for."

"If a thing sounds too good to be true, it usually is."

Consider also that those knowledgeable about HK tailoring invariably counsel shunning the really low-priced Indian tailors. (I assume from the name "Taj" the outfit you are dealing with is Indian.)

That said, I have no specific knowledge about this operation for good or ill. If you are keen to try them, $300 is not a lot to spend on a suit these days. They may be a superlative value (although I kind of doubt it). Hopefully, the suit you get will be no worse than if you had dropped the same sum at Macy's or Jos. A Bank. If you do elect to go that route, by all means keep us posted on how it turns out.

As a postscript, it might be helpful if some of our members who live in HK would weigh in on this.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

"You get what you pay for."

"If a thing sounds too good to be true, it usually is."

That pretty much sums it up.

jlopez211

Reaction score
I was able to find out more information about John Cooper fabrics. Apparently these are fabrics made in London for IAG under the H. Freeman label

senator1214

Reaction score
You should post some pics here so we could see the quality. If it's really any good, I'm sure at that price point, more people would check it out

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
how suspicious ^

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ranjhaa4heer
I have bought 3 shirts from www.tajtailors.com.hk two months ago. The shirts seems gd. and then i order a john cooper suit. it arrived after 2 weeks and it has john cooper label in inside of jacket. the suits looks gd too.

Before ordering a suit online i was worried about a fit. i ask them many questions. i requested for real working buttons, hand pic stitch on the lapel and light padding on shoulders. The suit arrived with all things i have requested.

I have asked them if suit is made of fussed canvas or full canvas and they replied fussed canvas.

Honestly i am happy with there customer service and there garments.