• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HTC EVO 4G LTE

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just when I was ready to jump ship from my EVO 4G to an iPhone....

EVO 4G LTE Unveiled: Sprint and HTC Announce New Phone, Price, Kickstand (PHOTOS)

The EVO is back, and so is the kickstand.

At a packed media event in New York City Wednesday, HTC and Sprint announced their newest joint venture: the HTC EVO 4G LTE.

A close cousin in size and resemblance to the new HTC One X on AT&T, the EVO 4G LTE runs Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" with a stripped-down HTC Sense interface and features a 4.7-inch super LCD display, a sophisticated 8-megapixel rear-facing camera, Beats Audio enhancements integrated throughout the entire phone, and...a small red kickstand on the back of the phone, so that you can prop your phone up as you watch videos. (It's a throwback to the original EVO, which also had a rockin' kickstand).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If my HTC Vivid had half-decent battery life, I wouldn't regret leaving the iPhone nearly as much as I do. My Iphone would go for days. This Vivid doesn't go for day. In fact, it's on the charger as I type this, because I used it to play music this morning.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the extended 3500mamp battery on my evo, it makes it last so much longer. the non-removable battery of the iphone is probably why i don't get it (along with no swype and google maps with navigation, etc). i'm on sprint, hopefully they make an international version of this, their international droid only has a 5mp camera on it.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

If my HTC Vivid had half-decent battery life, I wouldn't regret leaving the iPhone nearly as much as I do. My Iphone would go for days. This Vivid doesn't go for day. In fact, it's on the charger as I type this, because I used it to play music this morning.

Yikes! I am hoping the battery won't be an issue like that on this new phone.

When I got the EVO 4G, the battery was horrible. But after some OS updates and tweaking some of the settings, it's been better. I have to keep an extra charger at the office for heavy use days. My boss got the Droid Razr Maxx and despite being so slim, the battery on it lasts longer than mine. :angry:

My contract is up this month and not sure I can wait until an iPhone 5 comes out later this year. With pre-orders for this phone happening on May 7th, I might take the leap and sign up.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Won't run stock Android. I would pass.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's got HTC SENSE on it. That's HTC's customized (basterized) version of Android. Most handset makers add some type of skin on top of Android. While under the hood it's Ice Cream Sandwich, you are not getting the real experience.

Pass.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's got HTC SENSE on it. That's HTC's customized (basterized) version of Android. Most handset makers add some type of skin on top of Android. While under the hood it's Ice Cream Sandwich, you are not getting the real experience.

Pass.

ALL handset makers have a customized UI that they install on their phones on top of Android. As far as those customized layers go, Sense 4.0 on the 4G LTE is pretty good. If you're a purist and must have the unadulterated ICS experience, installing a stock ICS ROM is simple.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ALL handset makers have a customized UI that they install on their phones on top of Android. As far as those customized layers go, Sense 4.0 on the 4G LTE is pretty good. If you're a purist and must have the unadulterated ICS experience, installing a stock ICS ROM is simple.

Not ALL. The samsung galaxy nexus has the stock version of ICS running on it without any stupid skin crap.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You guys don't get it. You don't represent the average population. The average joe is going to walk into a Verizon/Sprint/AT&T store and walk out with a phone that has a bastardized version of Android on it and never know better. Most people don't know what a ******* rom is or have a clue how to install it, nor should they. Do you honestly think otherwise?

These skins are crap and are ruining the overall Android experience. The HTC EVO 4G is a worse phone for the sake of having SENSE on it. Until handset makers and the carriers wise up, this won't change.

EDIT: The same **** goes for jailbreaking an iOS device. Recommending one based on the fact that it can be done is asinine at best.

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not ALL. The samsung galaxy nexus has the stock version of ICS running on it without any stupid skin crap.

Pedant, I said "all handset makers," not "handsets." Samsung puts Touchwiz on all their handsets with the exceptions of their Nexus collaboration with Google.

blairh

Reaction score
Isn't Sprint's LTE coverage essentially non-existent right now? What good is this phone if you can't use LTE on it right now?

I'm really excited to test out the HTC One X. I went to AT&T for a different matter and they told me they are just starting to get their training info. They expect demo units for their sales reps in a matter of weeks and a consumer rollout come early to mid-May.

Topolsky said that if it wasn't running Sense then he thinks it might be the best smartphone on the market. While I'm sure stock ICS would be better, I question how much Sense would really ruin the experience for me.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Isn't Sprint's LTE coverage essentially non-existent right now? What good is this phone if you can't use LTE on it right now?
I'm really excited to test out the HTC One X. I went to AT&T for a different matter and they told me they are just starting to get their training info. They expect demo units for their sales reps in a matter of weeks and a consumer rollout come early to mid-May.
Topolsky said that if it wasn't running Sense then he thinks it might be the best smartphone on the market. While I'm sure stock ICS would be better, I question how much Sense would really ruin the experience for me.

You're absolutely correct. In fact, I got my EVO 4G phone in 2010 when it was first released...and I have yet to experience 4G...quite annoying now that I think about. I thought Phoenix would be big enough market to have 4G.

My contract is up next month and I am going to swing by a retail store and ask them about 4G and LTE. If it's not coming to Phx, I will have to jump ship, maybe back to Verizon. I just like the truly unlimited data package Sprint offers.

Last edited:

Gtea

Reaction score
Trying to decide if I should go with this one or wait until SGIII is out. My upgrade is overdue at this point, waiting a few months won't matter much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads