• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HST vs. 5x5

RedScarf7

Reaction score
I've looked at a few different HST workouts and I've looked at BillStarr's 5x5. I'm curious, for a beginner/intermediate lifter which would you recommend?? Which of the two have you done personally? If both, why do you prefer one to the other??

1sinister1

Reaction score
Ive done both and BillStarrs 5x5 can be tedious if your a beginner. Out of those two I would probably go with HST. If your looking to go the compound movement route ive heard Rippetoe is pretty good for beginners. For more info on any of those programs you would be wise to check out the forums at bodybuilding.com.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HST is bodybuilding-specific and 5x5 is more for strength and athletics.

Since 'natural bodybuilding' is a bit of an oxymoron, I never really saw the point of HST.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll certainly check out bodybuilding.com. Which of the two would accomplish the goal of gaining strength more effectively?? Gaining mass would be a distant second in terms of my goals.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
Thanks for the replies. I'll certainly check out bodybuilding.com. Which of the two would accomplish the goal of gaining strength more effectively?? Gaining mass would be a distant second in terms of my goals.

Are you planning on picking one and sticking with it for the rest of your life? Is that the real question to the answer you're looking for?

Since "change" is the most common word one encounters in BB articles, why not do one for 8-12 weeks followed by the other for 8-12 weeks followed by HIT for 8-12 weeks, followed GVT, followed by whatever for whatever amount of time?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Since "change" is the most common word one encounters in BB articles, why not do one for 8-12 weeks followed by the other for 8-12 weeks followed by HIT for 8-12 weeks, followed GVT, followed by whatever for whatever amount of time?

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Are you planning on picking one and sticking with it for the rest of your life? Is that the real question to the answer you're looking for?

Obviously I don't intend on doing one program forever. I'm curious which is better suited for my goals, which will help me build a solid foundation and which will help me be successful when I transition to different techniques in the future. After doing some reading I think HST is better suited for my goals at this point in time.

I intend on following the beginner program outlined here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=714401

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Joking that one could incorporate multiple programs successively followed by some downtime between each program? No.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joking that one could incorporate multiple programs successively followed by some downtime between each program? No.

Sure, I mean, after doing Mentzer's stuff it's perfectly logical to jump into German volume training. Don't worry about the fact that it was predicated on heavy steroid usage for pre-juice-ban Olympians or anything. That's just details.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Sure, I mean, after doing Mentzer's stuff it's perfectly logical to jump into German volume training. Don't worry about the fact that it was predicated on heavy steroid usage for pre-juice-ban Olympians or anything. That's just details.

Substitute whatever programs you want for "programs". Particular programs aside, you do understand the underlying logistic, yes?

More specific to this thread, you do understand why someone can use both HST and 5x5 at some point in the course of a year? HIT followed GVT... well, that's just details.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Substitute whatever programs you want for "programs". Particular programs aside, you do understand the underlying logistic, yes?

More specific to this thread, you do understand why someone can use both HST and 5x5 at some point in the course of a year? HIT followed GVT... well, that's just details.

Yes, they could. They could also decide to train for a triathlon, stop exercising, or become a transvestite. I don't understand your point.

zbip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Yes, they could. They could also decide to train for a triathlon, stop exercising, or become a transvestite. I don't understand your point.
he's probably trying to say that for the casual gymgoer, a person could run a program for several weeks, take a few weeks off, and run a differnt program for several more weeks, take a few weeks off, etc etc if whatever program he chooses to use was dependent on steroid use, im sure he'll be ok if he doesn't use steroids and trains with less intensity... he doesnt look like a powerlifter or pro bodybulider or olympic weightlifter to me. im pretty positive he will still see gains

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbip
he's probably trying to say that for the casual gymgoer, a person could run a program for several weeks, take a few weeks off, and run a differnt program for several more weeks, take a few weeks off, etc etc

if whatever program he chooses to use was dependent on steroid use, im sure he'll be ok if he doesn't use steroids and trains with less intensity... he doesnt look like a powerlifter or pro bodybulider or olympic weightlifter to me. im pretty positive he will still see gains

Exactly. In the context of this thread, between two programs, run one, take some time, and then run another. There's no reason one cannot/should not modify one at a time all of the styles on this page for gains, strength, diversity, lack of boredom, whatever...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbin...orkoutPrograms

Originally Posted by why

****** or not, you're dense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads