1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HR Depts Suck

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by imageWIS, Nov 4, 2010.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Seriously, unless its for benefits, payroll or any other sort of paper work, they are for the most part, useless. Especially when it comes to recruiting or promotions. It's like they could give a shit about the employees or the good of the company. They only care about making themselves fully in control.

2. Stu

Stu Senior member

Seriously, unless its for benefits, payroll or any other sort of paper work, they are for the most part, useless. Especially when it comes to recruiting or promotions. It's like they could give a shit about the employees or the good of the company. They only care about making themselves full in control.

What happened Jon?

3. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

I remember this one time I applied for some shitty porter position at a kitchen and the HR broad literally asks me things like "what are your hobbies?" As if those kind of questions were going to be a good indicator of how I would do cleaning mats and fucking steam tables.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That's unfair but a common diatribe - HR often acts as the scapegoat or fuse in companies. You have to understand that HR needs to be extremely pragmatic and fact-oriented when it comes to many decisions and processes - they cannot get emotional about things or they would go nuts. Also, they often rely on information provided by the business(es) and execute on them.

HR has a bad rap - mostly undeserved

5. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

That's unfair but a common diatribe - HR often acts as the scapegoat or fuse in companies. You have to understand that HR needs to be extremely pragmatic and fact-oriented when it comes to many decisions and processes - they cannot get emotional about things or they would go nuts. Also, they often rely on information provided by the business(es) and execute on them. HR has a bad rap - mostly undeserved
    Do you work in HR? I have been avoiding HR like the plague during my current job search and focusing on connecting with the potential hiring manager.

6. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

Do you work in HR?

I have been avoiding HR like the plague during my current job search and focusing on connecting with the potential hiring manager.

This is truth

7. gdl203

Do you work in HR?

I have been avoiding HR like the plague during my current job search and focusing on connecting with the potential hiring manager.

You're wrong. You should get HR on your side - be pleasant and polite, recognize when they're helpful. This is a false dichotomy - you can connect with the business person making the hiring decision, while making a good impression on HR.

I don't work in HR, no, but I work with HR a lot for all our recruiting efforts.

8. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

You're wrong. You should get HR on your side - be pleasant and polite, recognize when they're helpful. This is a false dichotomy - you can connect with the business person making the hiring decision, while making a good impression on HR.

I don't work in HR, no, but I work with HR a lot for all our recruiting efforts.

[​IMG] I've seen your posts you are an HR rat [/butter

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

HR is not all bad, but it deserves most of its bad rap, IMO.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What happened Jon?
    Super long story short: SVP is seriously considering me for a position I am perfect for. HR is giving me the runaround because they weren't involved in the decision. HR is a total detriment.

11. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I really don't see any reason for HR. After years of seeing what they do, I think most companies would be better off just hiring temps to file the paperwork and do the hiring.

They're useless when dealing with employee issues and I've had them make things much worse after they got involved.

HR has fucked me over so many times and I've got no love for them whatsoever...

12. grit

grit Senior member

Being an HR person is hard because the system is set up to make everyone hate you. Their job is to enforce stupid bureaucratic policies they had no hand in creating, and to make absolutely sure that when there's a labor problem, the company doesn't get sued. I've worked with good HR people, they are saints.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Being an HR person is hard because the system is set up to make everyone hate you. Their job is to enforce stupid bureaucratic policies they had no hand in creating, and to make absolutely sure that when there's a labor problem, the company doesn't get sued. I've worked with good HR people, they are saints.

In other words: a total detriment to the company, since most of those rules exist only so HR people have jobs.

14. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Who's gonna do payroll? I know for a fact GM's, controllers, and managers hate doing that shit. [​IMG]

15. Alter

Alter Senior member

In other words: a total detriment to the company, since most of those rules exist only so HR people have jobs.

No, the rules exist because some employee before you did something that was against the law or that lowered the company's productivity and profitability. Then, upper management or legal told HR to make sure it doesn't happen again.

16. Milpool

Milpool Senior member

For my current position, I emailed my resume straight to the hiring manager, had a mutual colleague email my resume straight to the director and give him a phone call, AND submitted my resume via the online system.

My resume never made it out of the online system. It was filtered as unqualified. Yet here I am. My director had to tell HR to give them my resume and include me in the process as I was very well qualified.

Most of my problems with HR revolve around automated resume filtering.

17. Stu

Stu Senior member

For my current position, I emailed my resume straight to the hiring manager, had a mutual colleague email my resume straight to the director and give him a phone call, AND submitted my resume via the online system.

My resume never made it out of the online system. It was filtered as unqualified. Yet here I am. My director had to tell HR to give them my resume and include me in the process as I was very well qualified.

Most of my problems with HR revolve around automated resume filtering.

Ha, yeah, same here. I am working the best job I've ever had, and HR rejected me within hours of my applying online. LOL, I got an email saying they didn't consider me a qualified candidate and would not be pursuing me. I kept working the back channels and a month later the hiring manager called me and I started the interview process. Ended up beating out 100+ people. He never had seen that rejection or had any hand in it whatsoever.

18. Milpool

Milpool Senior member

19. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

You either have very low expectations out of Human Resources or you are delusional or simply retarded.

20. gdl203

You either have very low expectations out of Human Resources or you are delusional or simply retarded.

huh? Check your mouth son