HP Touchpad - WebOS

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Jun 8, 2011.

1. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Got in my order for a 32gb touchpad from HP Small Business for 163.77 total at around 4:45pm. I received a confirmation email at around 8:30pm. Great price for a tablet. I hope it really shipt. I've been wanting a tablet for a while and at this price, it's definitely worth it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Because the Nook is already running Android, a cut down version. Just add the missing bits, and one has a fully functional Android tablet.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

4. click here

click here Senior member

I want! Can you ship to Australia? :satisfied:

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

It would cost you a fortune. Plus, I've already got a few people in line ahead of you.

6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

:fistbump:

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Ok, so I've been playing around with it a bit. First impression compared to the iPad2 that I bought for the person I used to take care of - its SLOW. Like maddeningly slow. Apps take several seconds to load, the screen taps don't always register, and there aren't any apps worth a damn.

Screen looks nice and vibrant. Haven't listened to the BEATS speakers yet. How are you guys finding this thing?

8. Jr Mouse

Did you do the software update for the OS? My experience is most apps loaded with an OK speed once this was done. If you didn't update the OS, do it ASAP.

Also, there are a couple programs that take the CPU up to 1.5Ghz. Currently by default, it's UNDERCLOCKED at 1.2. You won't risk the hardware burning out since the software hack just makes the CPU perform at it's true speed. Things will be faster and you will loose a little battery life.

9. Jr Mouse

The screen registering was a problem. Even post update I would say it happens a little more often then on an iPad. Nothing that's a deal breaker, but you do notice it on occasion. I know they plan more OS updates so maybe that will fix it.

As for the aps, you are right. Not a lot and it won't grow that much from now on. You do get the main ones, like Amazon Kindle and so on. The biggest missing one is Netflix and chances are we will never get it. I think for the price, it's great for web surfing and e-books. Plus it has FLASH so u can watch all the web videos.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Ok, so lets start posting up tips, tricks, apps, hacks, etc.. Until there is an Android port, might as well get the most out of this thing that we can.

11. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

First step: get Preware on the device. Google it for details.

I have an original Pre and you can hack the crap out of these devices.

Lots of info on precentral forums: www.precentral.net

My device is listed as shipping on Monday... but I have to get it to Chile, where I live. So I have to wait at least a few weeks.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

12. Jr Mouse

Just scored one off Amazon. 32 gig for $150. :slayer:

BEFORE YOU USE THE DEVICE MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE THE OS. PERFORMANCE WILL BE GREATLY INCREASED.

The Kindle app is nice. It's a must have. I know that you can use it on Hulu too, which is nice.

I would only load Android on it if I can dual-boot the device. Would rather keep it running WebOS if I had to choose one or the other. Hacker community is going to give it life for years to come. The user-base is going to be fairly large after this sale.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I don't think it'll be as vibrant as you expect. Most people are going to buy these to use as portable movie/music players or things to give to their kids so they'll shut the fuck up in the car.

14. Jr Mouse

Oh I know, but the user base and hard core fan community will keep it alive for a while. Hell people still do hacks to the original Xbox.

15. BernieStevens

BernieStevens Senior member

The HP online store lists the 16GB as sold out but 32Gb still available. Also check Macmall tomorrow and Provantage. They both had the original list price but were supposed to reduce it on Monday. And just maybe, your local Best Buy may have a machine left or a return....