• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How's your closet setup?

blewnote1

Reaction score
I’m very interested for those who had to expand beyond a regular closet onto a walk-in closet or a dedicated room for all the clothes?
Some have decent space to store all the clothes and shoes, meaning that the house is quite significant given that the individual is living together with a spouse and children.

I just started 4 years ago. And it’s not even that I need it for work. It’s rather for occasional purposes at first, and even now when I could wear it everyday, I’m not, as I’m living on a tropical island as well 7 to 8 months of the year, and I’m wearing mostly boardshorts, sandals and a t-shirt. So if I see someone having 10 suits, and 20 shirts and 10 pair of shoes, it’s either that you have to wear this for work or you work in the industry, and have a wall full of menswear.

Even if money wasn’t an issue and for the sake of argument I could get any bespoke pieces instantly, I’ll be struggling to get to 10 suits. Well just about.. same goes for shoes, just about 6 pairs, shirts will be about 10 as well. Surely over time you will have different needs or just wants to have something else. But with 10 suits, 10 odd jackets, 10 trousers, and 10 shoes, you have so much variety. I just don’t see the need to have anything more unless you’re doing it for a decades. Or it’s a genuine passion.

I’m a surfer that’s my passion, I don’t have a wall full of menswear neatly sorted by colour. But that wall is filled with surfboards. It has taken decent space in my villa, and garage and there are some at my parents home collecting dust.

I greatly admire those with entire rooms filled with menswear but if you aren’t old or work in the industry. It’s quite over the top. The same goes for those guys collecting sneakers and have a wall full of sneakers. Just to collect them all.
That one picture with all the ties about 200 of them, let’s say they’re all Drake’s. For the sake of it we’ll make the price $150 each. Let’s say it takes you 10 years to get 200 ties. You have to buy 20 ties every year that’s $3000 a year just on ties.

Consider if you spent $3000 every year since 2012 and bought AAPL stock instead of Drake ties you would have 5x that money. If you bought Bitcoin instead, just from the first year 2012 that amount of Bitcoin bought in 2012 alone is worth today $594.000.000

If menswear is your passion then I guess it’s your thing and any amount of money is justified.
For anyone else, what’s it worth to look like a million dollars? If you don’t have it in cash or assets but in ties and suits?

My stuff is all still in my walk in closet, but I went from 0 suits and sport coats at the beginning of 2020 to 9 suits and 17 sport coats now. Only a few of those were purchased at full price, and from Spier and Mackay so not terribly expensive. A few of the others were bought on sale, and the majority I found in thrift stores or on eBay. I try not to pay more than $50 for thrifted items, including suits.

I don't wear them generally in my day to day, but to work as a musician. It seems excessive, but having not really worn clothing like this for most of my life I wanted to try various things to see what I would end up reaching for time and time again. Also, living in New Orleans, I really needed a dedicated summer wardrobe (and most of my things are for that because I wasn't sure until I started wearing them how unbearable/unwearable they would be in the heat here) and also a winter wardrobe for the short winter we have.

I feel pretty good about where I am now, and have a much better sense of what my taste is both in fit and material and color/pattern, and to me it was money well spent. In the future I hope to replace things with higher quality pieces or ones that are more to my liking now that I know what those are. I also probably spent less on all of this than some people do on 2 suits and 2 sport coats, so there's that.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good idea for a thread @An Acute Style ! I have had a little time away from SF and am just catching up.

I smiled when I read some of your comments, gentlemen, especially about limited space and possible solutions. I live in a small, 1850's cottage and like many of you I have had to come up with innovative measures to store even my very modest collection.

Like some others, I have had to resort to wire hangers - not yet for suits or jackets, though. I also have to store non-seasonal bits and pieces elsewhere, mainly in the loft in a range of suit bags and black plastic bags for knitwear,etc. and also in drawers under the main bed.

Here are a few images of the current A/W setup. No pics at the moment of my trousers, shoe boxes, hanging shirts, or outerwear, as they all have to share space with Mrs K's items in two other wardrobes.
Wardrobe.jpg
The main wardrobe

Wardrobe suits.jpg
Seasonal suits, blazers and other jackets in the larger part

Wardrobe shelf.jpg
Knitwear on the shelf above

Wardrobe drawers.jpg
Drawers below - a mix of accessories with casual shirts in the bottom drawer

Wardrobe drawer.jpg

Wardrobe jkts.jpg
A/W jackets in the smaller side and hats below

On a separate shelf, fragrances, brushes, pocket hankies in a wicker basket and collar stays -
Wardrobe collar stays.jpg

Last edited:

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people collect baseball cards. Some people collect salt and pepper shakers. I like to think that I'm a collector of menswear. I don't get to wear it all numerous times a year, but it's nice to have it. I don't need 77 jacket.

It appears that you, my friend, are a collector of braces. Wow.
Thank you, whom among us can have to many obsessions or hobbies, decided to move my braces/tie pairings off another hard drive to the ether, the first hundred or so..

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread. I’ve been wanting to contribute for a while but only now found the time.

I have one walk in approx ten feet wide four feet deep with the doorway towards the left of the long dimension. Opposite my wife has a ‘step-in’ which is so stuffed with her gear it’s more or less unusable. When I finish building my bar downstairs I’m going to have a go at building a fitted sliding door closet for her the entire width of the bedroom and maybe as a reward I can have her step-in to keep my shoes!

Here are my shoes on a rack I combined from two rack kits from Home Depot.

B3A3D744-1188-455B-9469-656D3C0B12C4.jpeg

I pulled it out to take the pic but for now it stays in my walk-in making things very crowded in there. Along the back wall of the walk-in I made a double row of hanging bars using Elfa gear from The Container Store. It’s an excellent system that’s very clversatile and flexible. But not cheap! The two rows of hangers (suits and jackets on top, ties, shirts and strides underneath) are separated by shelves where I keep my pocket squares (CD boxes!) cuff links, watches, lapel pins etc.

B8099AA0-B094-4DEC-BF8D-FBF9EA8BC073.jpeg
D9D5A04A-65CA-4105-8591-B759049EEB78.jpeg

On each end of the closet I have drawers in which I keep socks, underkegs, polo shirts, shorts etc. the left side has my sunglasses boxes above the drawers, the right side has my casual jackets.

1584228D-D973-41B2-8D8C-9BFC7C4F07D0.jpeg

A07321A2-F7CC-46D5-BFCB-B18F704AAA03.jpeg

The shoe rack goes against that wall on the right.
Hats are on the high shelf above the jackets.
It’s very hard to get decent photos - maybe I should try with my gopro!

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread. I’ve been wanting to contribute for a while but only now found the time.

I have one walk in approx ten feet wide four feet deep with the doorway towards the left of the long dimension. Opposite my wife has a ‘step-in’ which is so stuffed with her gear it’s more or less unusable. When I finish building my bar downstairs I’m going to have a go at building a fitted sliding door closet for her the entire width of the bedroom and maybe as a reward I can have her step-in to keep my shoes!

Here are my shoes on a rack I combined from two rack kits from Home Depot.

View attachment 1897427

I pulled it out to take the pic but for now it stays in my walk-in making things very crowded in there. Along the back wall of the walk-in I made a double row of hanging bars using Elfa gear from The Container Store. It’s an excellent system that’s very clversatile and flexible. But not cheap! The two rows of hangers (suits and jackets on top, ties, shirts and strides underneath) are separated by shelves where I keep my pocket squares (CD boxes!) cuff links, watches, lapel pins etc.

View attachment 1897433 View attachment 1897435

On each end of the closet I have drawers in which I keep socks, underkegs, polo shirts, shorts etc. the left side has my sunglasses boxes above the drawers, the right side has my casual jackets.

View attachment 1897437 View attachment 1897439

The shoe rack goes against that wall on the right.
Hats are on the high shelf above the jackets.
It’s very hard to get decent photos - maybe I should try with my gopro!
Nice set up. Double bar is the way to go. 7 pairs of royal blue sneakers. I appreciate the consistency.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice set up. Double bar is the way to go. 7 pairs of royal blue sneakers. I appreciate the consistency.
There’s another pair in the box on the top shelf waiting to enter the rotation when another pair wears out! 😁

Double bar is definitely the way to go and the number one tip I would give to anyone redoing their closets. This was a new build house that came with those plastic coated wire fittings - one high shelf in each closet which you could hang hangers on. All that space from waist level down is wasted. There are plenty of good systems out there but I like Elfa as it’s easy to change things around if your needs evolve.

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love all of the suitcases and the Nakata valet stand! The black Rimowas look really good compared to the silver ones.
He should take those security stickers off otherwise if it goes missing they won’t know which one is current!

Great and enviable set up there. As for the Rimowas - I’ve contemplated getting one for a while but whenever I see them in the field it seems to be a badge of honour to have them all bashed up and dented. If I pay that much for luggage I want to be buried in it and I want it to look as pristine when they dig me up for post-cryogenic revival in a hundred years as the day I bought it! It seems aluminIum looks great on day one but is very susceptible to the misuse of baggage handlers!

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice set up. Double bar is the way to go...
Double bar is definitely the way to go and the number one tip I would give to anyone redoing their closets...

good thread ...

we did a master bath reno last year and then reskinned the main space and now getting around to the closet ...

i'm really liking the low floating drawers i see in these pages , the higher hanger bars seem more functional than ours . those are great notes . i guess by double bar you mean two tiers of hanger bar ?

somewhat surprising to see outerwear in a master closet , we keep ours either in hall closet or mudroom . i'm talking about the overcoats that seems like keeping your car keys in the bedroom .

i have a bunch of chunky knits and fleece things so i think the open shelves and cubbies are a great idea . to be continued...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics