• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How's this work for you?

16520Man

Reaction score
I am putting together a weekend dinner outfit and would like to know if this works color-, texture-, and pattern-wise. I'll likely wear navy tropical wool pants with brown shoes. Thanks, all.

Test01.jpg

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would probably go with a different brighter tie

sammy

Reaction score
Yes, I too would choose a different tie. The shirt also seems a bit too formal for the jacket. Either go with a solid or very subtle check shirt and a lighter tie to bring out the blue windowpane in your jacket. Don't forget a pocket square! Like the jacket very much!

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the patterns work. To my eye, everything is cancelling everything else out. I love the jacket. I'd opt for a solid shirt, very light blue or white and let the jacket and tie do the work. Bring in some tonal contrast.

Just an opinion,
dprof

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I like the jacket a lot. Don't like the shirt at all. Tie is ok, but could benefit from more pizzazzzzz

Earthmover

Reaction score
Is that a pulled thread I see on the right lapel?

I would have either one solid or a much less "loud" pattern. I love the jacket, and the tie is pretty cool, so different shirt? I really like that knot. Very, um, spezzatura or something.

16520Man

Reaction score
Tough crowd (but that's why I ask here). And sprezzatura1 is one of my favorite words! How's this:

Test02.jpg

1 Ease of manner, studied carelessness; the appearance of acting or being done without effort.

16520Man

Reaction score
My only paisley:

Test03.jpg

cpac

Reaction score
I think the white shirt is a vast improvement, and the tie is moving in the right direction, though I'm not a fan of that water-drop print. MAybe a solid with some texture to it?

The first tie, though not great with the jacket/shirt combo, is stunning by the way - mind if I ask where it came from?

16520Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Scarf is another term for tie.

New thing I learned today: Scarf is another term for tie.

Test04.jpg

16520Man

Reaction score
The first tie is Charvet, courtesy of my girlfriend. She woke up early(er than me) one morning in Paris, went shopping and woke me up with not just my double espresso, but also a box from Charvet on place Vendôme. Good tie.

Hanseat

Reaction score
Actually, I liked how the first shirt picked up the blue in the jacket. With regards to the tie I'd suggest something in green (not knowing whether it would work with the complexion of your fact though).

The second tie is definitely a 'nay' but otherwise I do think that the first tie is not that bad with the jacket, just that it's a bit too much with the shirt.

Is that a Hermes PS in the last picture?

16520Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hanseat
Is that a Hermes PS in the last picture?

Good eye. I folded so it wouldn't scream "HERMES". Guess that didn't work so well...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads