• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How's this sweater/shirt combo look?

CarllraC

Reaction score
Before the pic, I'll just say...not looking to go super fancy. Just to stand out a bit in normal day to day life or going to a club where everyone else is dressed in striped dress shirts. So bearing in mind I'm not trying to do some super fancy GQ look, is there anything simple I can do to this outfit to make it look better? Collar in? Roll the sweater sleeves down over the shirt? Untuck the shirt? Wear another shirt (say, pink striped, or dark blue?) Etc.

Oh yes - and this is a fairly thin sweater. Is it normal for "shirt lines" to show through it?

Thanks.

nastyandy

Reaction score
Well, I think it looks fine, but (no offeense meant here,) I'm not sure how it 'stands out' unless it's really nothing like what you're used to wearing, in which case it might stand out to you and those who know you. Personally, I'm more of a collar-in guy, but that's a personal choice and doesn't detract from the look either way, AFAIC.

You could wear the button down shirt untucked and out of the bottom of the sweater for a more casual or carefree appearance, but the only way you could actually make the combo stand out IMO would be to add a noticable blazer or jacket.

Far as 'shirt lines', I'm not totally sure on what you mean. .if you mean it bunches up at the bottom, you should shoot for a more fitted or tapered shirt underneath.

capnpyro

Reaction score
Looks good to me, I think your appearance is clean cut and well groomed which is all that anyone can hope for on first impressions. [Edit: ET phone home ... you have really long fingers.
wink.gif
]

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd like a larger sweater collar opening, that one is kind of constraining the shirt collar. Don't worry about the lines, in poor lighting no one will notice and a thicker sweater will kill you on the dance floor. The palette is really boring. Since the sweater covers up so much of the shirt, this is a perfect opportunity to wear a shirt with AmJack stripes. I also would like more contrast between the sweater and the jeans: raw never looked so good!
bigstar[1].gif
An untucked shirt only works with both the right shirt and right sweater. Listen to nastyandy and try it, but don't get your hopes up.
confused.gif

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
umm idk how its not normal or stands out

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the big look this season is going to be the chunky sweater with shirt collar points kept in. You know, the Noam Chomsky look.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look non descript. So, if you didn't want to stand out, you've succeeded.
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Suggestions:

Wear a not-white shirt and get a slightly shorter and more fitted sweater. Wear a sweater color that contrasts with the jeans, or a different pair of pants/jeans with that color.

CarllraC

Reaction score
As far as a not-white shirt, how would Dark blue, or green/white stripes, or pink stripes go? With this sweater and the jeans, could I use pretty much any shirt under it?

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the over all look is fine, I'm just not a big fan of slate blue, especially with jeans.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CarllraC
As far as a not-white shirt, how would Dark blue, or green/white stripes, or pink stripes go? With this sweater and the jeans, could I use pretty much any shirt under it?
Pretty much. But with this sweater, you definitely need much darker jeans. It looks too much like the color of faded jeans.

Max

Reaction score
Keep the white shirt. It looks classic and clean, especially with the sweater. Darker jeans would make it better, but you look fine.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Look's pretty standard preppy but I'd agree with J on finding a shorter sweater because when a longer one bunches it produces the illusion that you've got a potbelly underneath. I'm also in favor of a darker shirt with that color sweater or white shirt with a dark sweater, otherwise the colors of the sweater/shirt/jeans combo look pretty bland.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the look of pale red pinpoint or red check pattern under a grey sweater. Try a white shirt with a black sweater, it looks too washed out with grey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads