• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How's the fit on this W.W. Chan shirt?

bigskydream

Reaction score
This is my first shirt from Chan, and I'm getting ready to order a few more (can't wait around forever for Jantzen). Should I change anything on my measurements? What do you think about the following changes?

1) shorten the shoulder measurement by .5" so that the shoulder seam is higher up on my shoulders.
2) lengthen the sleeves by .5". My left arm is longer than my right, and it feels like the sleeve is a little short.
3) make the armholes about .5" bigger to just slightly loosen the arms and make the shirt a little less restricting.

Anything else? Thanks!

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should have pics of the shirt tucked in as well using proper pants (i.e. not jeans).

bigskydream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I think you should have pics of the shirt tucked in as well using proper pants (i.e. not jeans).

Yeah, I should do that. But I like the fit of the shirt in the waist area. I am mostly interested in feedback on the fit in the shoulder and chest, and on the sleeve length.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd decrease the circumference of your left cuff.

Hard to tell from the photo, but the sleeve length looks OK to me. I like to have my shirts done with a fairly tight cuff and go long on the sleeves to leave a lot of excess to keep the sleeve from riding up when I have my arms extended.

Perhaps it's your posture, or perhaps it's your build. But your left shoulder is noticeably higher than your right. That can affect the fall of the sleeve. If these photos show your true posture, I think the position of the left shoulder seam is fine (or even higher up the shoulder than I would do), but I'd bring the right one up about 0.5" and then adjust the sleeve measurements accordingly.

I think a very slightly larger armhole would be a good idea.

mrphrog

Reaction score
Shoulders, chest and right sleeve all look good. I'd only make the left sleeve 0.5" longer.

bigskydream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrphrog
Shoulders, chest and right sleeve all look good. I'd only make the left sleeve 0.5" longer.

If one arm is longer than the other, is it a good idea to make one of the sleeves on the shirt longer than the other? I'm worried that having different sleeve lengths will make it difficult to show equal amounts of cuff when I wear the shirts with jackets that have been tailored to go with OTR shirts. Should I just make both sleeves longer (equal length), and live with having the right sleeve longer?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yes your right shoulder is much lower. the left is ok.
stand against the wall. if you have a level, have someone place it on each shoulder and touching the wall. make a mark on the wall for each shoulder. measure from the floor to the marks. thats how much the difference. be sure to stand with your feet a bit apart so that you will not tilt your body. i think your right hip is high also. with the
trouser in the right position on your waist, feet apart, measure from top of your belt to the floor on both sides. when the hip is high it also sticks out you need more room there. if you dont have a level use something like a shirt cardboard or box top. place one edge against the wall so that it extends over your shoulders.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf.org
How do you like the collar on your shirt? I have a WWC shirt and the body and sleeves are all great but the collar is kind of disappointing. Doesn't rise very high on the neck, doesn't have a very nice shape like my english shirts.

Topical for me since the past two days I've worn Chan shirts and have had the same thoughts. Also, the stays don't reach the edge making my collar points curl up. it gives an unkept look.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually your left shoulder looks fine.

Your right shoulder is lower than your left, and because of this, the sleeves for your right arm will appear longer and bunch up more. To partially correct for this, you will need to lengthen the left sleeve a bit. As another correction, you may want to shorten the right shoulder a bit, but I wouldn't touch the left, because it looks like it sits where it should.

How are the cuff openings? I keep my left one a bit wider to accomodate my watch. It appear that your left cuff may be wider, either that or it's short and doesn't sit at your wrist so it is flaring out.

Chest, I can see how you want more room.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads